The Home Improvement Thread

dev  null

I think it was these guys.

http://www.thermguard.co.za/

All I remember is I got the contact details out of that home improvement paper that comes with the cape times.

Also I remember there were 2 companies. One was therm gaurd. A lady was a bit rude at the one and the other was a man who moved on from therm gaurd and started his own business. Probably why the lady was so uptight.

Anyways the man qouted lot less and he did the work.

I did insulation with therm guard last year. My roof area is fairly large (about 250m2) and the cost was surprisingly cheap. (About R9000). It took them a morning to do the installation, it was easy and clean and the nice thing is that it is possible to get into all the nooks and crannies in-between trusses and joints in the roof. I can really recommend it.

• Replies 325
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest notmyname

"It was easy and clean and the nice thing is that it is possible to get into all the nooks and crannies in-between trusses and joints in the roof. .

This.

Ok so I have a home maintenance question which I think I have an idea how to answer but need the collective wisdom of the hub to help me.

Whilst in the shower last night when I touched the tap I could feel an electrical charge running through the tap. Enough to send pins and needles all the way up my arm. I was under the running water.

I think the cause could be a corroded geyser element whose internals are exposed to the water, and when the element turns on to heat the water the contact with the internals passes and electrical current into the water. Obviously not good.

Solution would be a new element for the geyser. What else could be the problem??????

Ok so I have a home maintenance question which I think I have an idea how to answer but need the collective wisdom of the hub to help me.

Whilst in the shower last night when I touched the tap I could feel an electrical charge running through the tap. Enough to send pins and needles all the way up my arm. I was under the running water.

I think the cause could be a corroded geyser element whose internals are exposed to the water, and when the element turns on to heat the water the contact with the internals passes and electrical current into the water. Obviously not good.

Solution would be a new element for the geyser. What else could be the problem??????

Just plain SHOCKING I tell you

Check Earthing on the plumbing.

Regardless of what happens to the element the piping should be earthed to prevent this.

Then replace element (Relatively cheap) and anode this prevents galvanic rusting inside the geyser.

Can be a number of causes. Better get a electrician to check that you house is properly earthed first. Can be anything from corroded earth wire, seepage from underground cable or said element.

The mention of the geyser has sparked a question: I have been considering for a while now if getting a geyser blanket and insulating the copper pipes will actually result in a noticeable saving in electricity.

I have read mixed reviews on this and don't know if it is really worth it (cannot afford the solar option).

The mention of the geyser has sparked a question: I have been considering for a while now if getting a geyser blanket and insulating the copper pipes will actually result in a noticeable saving in electricity.

I have read mixed reviews on this and don't know if it is really worth it (cannot afford the solar option).

insulating the pipes would prove more beneficial. Geysers are already pretty darn thermally efficient. 

insulating the pipes would prove more beneficial. Geysers are already pretty darn thermally efficient. 

That's what I read about the geysers but other articles I read say the geyser blanket helps a lot...mmmhhh.

Will consider doing the pipes.

I don't think they like a lot of water. Certainly, the brachts (leaves, not flowers) only turn colour if the plant is lekker droog. 

O ok, Cool thanks for the info. I shall reduce the watering. Just thought to get them going it would be a good idea. I also planted a fever tree not far from the bougainvilleas so I was just watering them all together.

Do you have 12v downlights in your bathroom and over the shower?

Do you have 12v downlights in your bathroom and over the shower?

Not sure about the voltage but we do have those little lights that are recessed into the ceiling.

Here's my list of possible projects for the summer:

1. Install an irrigation system (I know nothing about irrigation systems, so any advise on which systems are good and what to look out for would be appreciated). I need something that is fairly easy to maintain and to change settings on in between seasons.

2. Do a awning for the dogs' kennels. This will add some shade for them, and also protect them against the elements in the winter (they sleep outside). Here I presumably plant tar poles and set them in concrete, join the poles with supporting joists and trusses at say a 10 degree angle sloping to the sides and put sheeting on top. Anything else I need to think about here?

3. Do a shade cloth retractable awning for the veggie patch for summer (It got so hot last year that my lettuce actually scorched in the sun). Here the procedure is presumably similar as in 2, but for the roof I will set up a pully and rope system to be able to retract the awning to manage the amount of direct sunlight the vegetables get. I suspect that here google will be my friend.

4. Lay paving on the back walkway. I have a downpipe that runs straight into the back yard, making the area very wet in winter. The paving needs to be laid to deal with the soak away system here advice here? French drain perhaps?

is your geyser on a timer?

If not, get one - even if it's a pool timer that fits into your DB.

The blanket and lagging on the pipes will help but not as much as a timer.

One hour before you need it is sufficient to get it up to >45-degrees C. It's better than switching the geyser off and forgetting about it.

I do have solar but it doesn't work on rainy or completely overcast days.

My bill reduced by 40% on the geyser alone.

is your geyser on a timer?

If not, get one - even if it's a pool timer that fits into your DB.

The blanket and lagging on the pipes will help but not as much as a timer.

One hour before you need it is sufficient to get it up to >45-degrees C. It's better than switching the geyser off and forgetting about it.

I do have solar but it doesn't work on rainy or completely overcast days.

My bill reduced by 40% on the geyser alone.

It's not on a timer. I have the pool pump on a timer though.

I was always under the impression that switching the geyser on and off uses more electricity to get the water back up to temp as when it is off then the water cools down and take more power to heat up again. Or I am I missing something here?

It's not on a timer. I have the pool pump on a timer though.

I was always under the impression that switching the geyser on and off uses more electricity to get the water back up to temp as when it is off then the water cools down and take more power to heat up again. Or I am I missing something here?

It depends on how your thermostat comes on. Most thermostats come on as soon as you start draining the geyser, especially if you have it set hotter, due to the colder water coming in at the top. Therefore, if you're constantly draining it or have it set pretty high, the thermo is constantly activating in order to keep it at that temp. 

With the timer, it only activates once a day no matter the temp, and only for one warming cycle. Therefore the time spent warming is drastically reduced and therefore -> savings.