New Ellsworth Epiphany 27.5 plus from ASG

Gadgetplayer

I just arrived in MTB heaven. Received the new Ellsworth Carbon 27.5 plus from ASG on Friday. ASG is the new distributor of Ellsworth on SA.

This is the best bike I have ever been on. Its a significantly easier ride for me than a 29er, turns on a dime, is amazing on technicals and the US hand built quality is evident in every aspect.

The ride position is different (you sit more to the back) which provides for a really soft ride and lifts the front wheel over any obstacle with such ease.

My bike came with 3.0 tyres, but 2.8's are apparently coming as well. I ordered a Shimano XT groupset in anticipation of a Di2 upgrade in September when it's launched.

http://s.pictub.club/2016/08/14/RiFox.png

http://s.pictub.club/2016/08/14/RiVPF.jpg

http://s.pictub.club/2016/08/14/Ri6vQ.jpg

http://s.pictub.club/2016/08/14/Rikij.jpg

Pics or it didn't happen. Preferably on the couch to continue the Hub tradition.

Edited: spelling.

Have a feeling ASG is going to follow the trend of inflating the prices as every other brand is doing with their new ranges.

When will the manufacturers and resellers realise that their prices should be in line with the current economic environment?

Silverback, Scott, Trek, Giant etc have all increased their price by 30%. Not even to mention Santa Cruz, Pyga, Spez... blerrie unaffordable all of them

Apologies for the rant... but to fork out 40-50k for a desent bicycle has become stupid money.

That being said, the Elsworth is very nice

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk

Have a feeling ASG is going to follow the trend of inflating the prices as every other brand is doing with their new ranges.

When will the manufacturers and resellers realise that their prices should be in line with the current economic environment?

Silverback, Scott, Trek, Giant etc have all increased their price by 30%. Not even to mention Santa Cruz, Pyga, Spez... blerrie unaffordable all of them

Apologies for the rant... but to fork out 40-50k for a desent bicycle has become stupid money.

I guess they wouldn't do it if they weren't selling... I don't think many of those brands are struggling with sales! I guess you just have to watch the Epic to see 1000+ bikes from the top end of the latest models. It's the new golf - they no longer need to worry about the bottom end of the market as the top end is so healthy. Just basic economics even if us normal people don't like it.

The above comment is not meant as anything negative towards the agents though - it's a really nice position to be in from a business perspective.

Awesome looking bike though!

Dollar prices have largely been the same across ranges for the past few years. So no, they havent inflated prices at all. Thank the exchange rate for that.

There are SOME models that have seen a USD price increase, but that's largely because they have a better spec.

Also - even though the dollar has gone down, a lot of suppliers brought in goods just before the recovery. So thy are still selling stock that they bought at 15:1 on the dollar.

You can't accuse local agents of inflating prices when they're importing goods and had to pay USD, riding the volatility

Wow that bike has nice lines!

Does Asg have another one they want to loan me for a year?

Pics or it didn't happen. Preferably on the coach to continue the Hub tradition.

The coach left to go and fetch the couch.

I had the aluminum 26"Truth, one of the best bikes I had, then 29ers came out my riding partner got one of the first Carbon 29ers, we both looked forward to the New bigger better 29er,,,it took longer for him to order it than he owned it for, he sold it within a month if memory serves, it felt like a soft floppy snake, not sure about the 27.5, all I know is from the 26" to the 29er it was like another bike. Tall boy later we both quickly forgot about Ellsworth ,,,man they built a bullet proof machine 26" alu bike

I had the aluminum 26"Truth, one of the best bikes I had, then 29ers came out my riding partner got one of the first Carbon 29ers, we both looked forward to the New bigger better 29er,,,it took longer for him to order it than he owned it for, he sold it within a month if memory serves, it felt like a soft floppy snake, not sure about the 27.5, all I know is from the 26" to the 29er it was like another bike. Tall boy later we both quickly forgot about Ellsworth ,,,man they built a bullet proof machine 26" alu bike

Very pretty bicycles.

My amateur review...

First of all, I am not a pro.  I would regard myself as a serious weekend warrior.  I love  cycling - MTB in particular.  Other than the Ellsworth, my fleet includes a Pinarello XM 29er and two road bikes.

I have had two rides so far on the Ellsworth Epiphany 27.5 plus, over proper technical single track at Groenkloof in Pretoria and at Klapperkop.  Wow.  It is so easy.  I have a Shimano 2x11 configuration on both my MTB's, and on average I find I use at least 1 gear less on the steep ascents. I have always worried about the 1x11 configuration - specifically losing the granny gear.  With the Ellsworth, I believe I will be fine with a 1x11.

I dont know all the technical stuff, but here is an extract from a review by Competitive Cyclist:

Ellsworth claims that the Epiphany's Instant Centre Tracking (ICT) suspension is the most advanced suspension platform in the world. As it moves through travel, ICT keeps the instant center (or virtual pivot created by ICT's four bar suspension) as close to the chain force line as possible. In on-trail terms, this maintains a steady pedaling platform so your power is always transferring into forward motion. Furthermore, ICT doesn't require a lock-out, so you can always keep the FOX Float DPS shock's travel fully active, even while climbing. The addition of chain torque doesn't constrain the system's travel, the Achilles heel of so many otherwise efficient suspension designs, so pedalling and bump compliance aren't working against each other. The end result of ICT is a plush, less-fatiguing ride with greater control and responsiveness over all terrain.

Singletracks have the following to say:

While I normally feel much more comfortable aboard a trail bike than I do an XC bike, the Epiphany 27.5 plus stands alone as the only full-suspension 27.5 plus bike that I’ve ridden–or even heard of–that’s specifically intended for XC riding.

While some might scoff and say, “plus size tires are too heavy and slow for cross country riding,” then they haven’t ridden the Epiphany +.  Thanks to the firm pedalling platform provided by Ellsworth’s ICT four-bar linkage, the steep headtube angle, and the stretched out cockpit, the Epiphany danced up the mountainside at near-lightning speed. This bike is designed for dropping the hammer and pedaling at top-speed!

I think this may have been the fastest-climbing bike I rode at Outdoor Demo, even over standard XC mountain bikes with non-plus wheels. The plus-sized tires significantly increased the traction when climbing in the loose, pebbly desert conditions. Instead of thinking about keeping my weight on the rear tire and maintaining traction, I was able to just hammer up anything and everything. The bike definitely didn’t hold me back: the only limiting factors were my legs and lungs.

When I read the above review, I instantly recognised what I have been experiencing during my ride, but was unable to articulate.  This bike is fast - at least as fast as a 29er, but with significant more traction on the rough stuff.

I think the Ellsworth Epiphany 27.5 plus is now my favourite for single track, whereas I think the Pinarello XM 29er will remain my choice if the terrain is largely jeep track.

Hope this all makes sense! 

• 2 months later...

I stumbled onto this post trying to find out for what price ASG is selling the new Ellsworth Epiphany’s in South Africa.

I owned a titanium version of the Ellsworth Truth for many years, but then Ellsworth disappeared off the radar and I had to move.

Anyway, I’ve seen a couple of very pretty pictures recently and I thought this may be a good time to get back on board.

However, it is transpires that ASG caters for people with more money than common sense (or basic internet access) and there is no way I’ll be paying +ZAR 100k for something that is selling for less than US$5k in the US.

Hi,

All I can say is that I have found ASG incredibly helpful and reasonable with pricing.  Are you comparing apples with apples in terms of group sets etc?  Also remember that Ellsworth is an American brand, which is built in the US.  Therefore, their pricing will be good.  However, if you are making a like for like comparison, remember that you need to pay shipping, import duties and VAT.  You will find that $5000 in the US is then not far of R100k in SA.

You might also be interested that they are running a promotion on Ellsworth for the Epic at present, where you get R30k of.

The new ASG MD of bikes is Hanco  Kachelhoffer.  Suggest you email him on hanco@asgsport.co.za.  Given his MTB pedigree, he really gave me the best advice possible, including more options with front forks, potentially putting on the new SRAM 1x12 Eagle groupset, correct sizing option etc.  You cant get that personal service by ordering over the Internet, and I do believe in any event, it will not be a significant saving in any event.

As someone who owns a whole range of bikes, the Ellsworth is definitely a gold standard for me.  The build and ride quality is just awesome.  When you compare the pricing for example with other top end bikes like Specialized S-Works, it is very well priced - even cheap by comparison.

I trust this is helpful. Good luck with the decision!

Archived