Amashova 2016 first timer advice

Friedpiggy

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

What a lekker event and route, been super keen to ride this after having photographed it a few times on the motorbike and route. 
Flipping pearler of a crash about 10km in when my chain snapped, thankfully was able to fix it and finish. 
A welcome guff in the ocean after! 

Just want to publicly give out a huge thanks to Hubber Cadre. He helped out massively with my oversight on missing the deadline for arranging transport to the start by offering to be there at race registration to book me a spot when I wasn't able to get there and kept me in the loop the entire time. Pretty much saved the entire weekend because without that transport there wasn't much point in going down for the race.

As for the race itself, overall I enjoyed the experience. First half went quite well and then during one of the first Inchanga climbs, sitting nicely roughly in the middle of the VA bunch, some cowboy who obviously takes himself a bit too seriously and must have had some reason for wanting to crest the climb in 20th position rather than 25th tried to squeeze through a gap that wasn't really there and something on his bike clipped my front wheel and broke one of my spokes. Had to stop to sort that out and lost the bunch as a result and once that bunch is gone it stays gone. When I got going again a few of us formed a new smaller group and rode nicely until one of the big highway descents where for no apparent reason (wasnt much tension on it, being a massive downhill) my chain broke. Took some time to fix that and then just told myself to enjoy the last 25-odd kilometres to the finish and that's exactly what I did. Also discovered at the finish once I got off my bike and was pushing it around that as a result of the broken spoke, the wheel had a bit of a wobble in it and a part of it was rubbing against the brake pads on every rotation. Hopefully got my quota of bad luck out of the way in this race and can have a few incident free races till the end of the year.

But it is a beautiful route and although I now too can confirm that it is not all downhill and the thousand hills component of the valley of a thousand hills is no more apparent than on a bicycle, I'd like to think I'll be back again some day.

What a lekker event and route, been super keen to ride this after having photographed it a few times on the motorbike and route. 

Flipping pearler of a crash about 10km in when my chain snapped, thankfully was able to fix it and finish. 

A welcome guff in the ocean after! 

In Elite bunch?

Did any of you see this: http://www.bicycling.co.za/news/amashova-recognised-uci-gran-fondo-world-champs/

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I heard about it just before the start.  It is sad and worrying.  I rode the event a few years ago when it was held in SA and would love to do it again.  I might even have convinced the wife that a holiday in France would be a good thing!  I can't see any other event picking it up.  Great pity.  Deno van Heerden (pictured in the link above) brought back gold for SA in Aus this year.

Thanks Paul. I've been helped out of a many tough situations before and nothing wrong with paying it forward. Somehow it always comes back to you in ways that you never expect. You have obviously done something really nice for someone else and this was just a small "payback". Happy to have been of assistance. Good wishes all round.

Thanks Paul. I've been helped out of a many tough situations before and nothing wrong with paying it forward. Somehow it always comes back to you in ways that you never expect. You have obviously done something really nice for someone else and this was just a small "payback". Happy to have been of assistance. Good wishes all round.

We need more of this!! Nice one!!

Here was my PLAN vs ACTUAL for today. Satisfied, but now I am moeg.

0c32ddcf9540702b72ac899c03c9c73b.png

My goal was simple - pull as many of my club mates to the finish line in less than 3 hours. I would never be doing a PB (2:40:53) with the following lead up to today. I didn't expect to spend most of the time on the front but it turned out to be a rather enjoyable day.

5737a4cf9242b58a01c4bfba117ea32a.png

Great work out there bud :thumbup: , but jeez there must have been a massive tail wind on Friday for a time like that???

Great work out there bud :thumbup: , but jeez there must have been a massive tail wind on Friday for a time like that???

In the words of our club chairman: "It's all downhill".

We had a tailwind too, compared to the headwind on day 1 (Thursday).

7debe83e88c2772864e3a93278fa542d.png

Edited by geraldm24

Great weather, maybe a little windy but that's nit picking.

Was good to drop back and have some fun in the open seeded bunches vs the normal hanging on the pro's for dear life.

We had two guy's ride off the front of AL in the first few km's never to be seen again finishing 5mins ahead of the bunch. Huge kudos to them managing a 2:37 on there own the whole way.

Finished my first one safely, with a 2:46 in AL. The organisation was quite good, with the bus to the start and the bike transport going very smoothly, and the route is very nice.

Not set in stone yet, but I'll probably be back for more next year.

Thanks also to the two guys who gave me a quick push when my chain dropped (twice by John according to his number, didn't spot the other rider's name)!

The only negative for me from the race was how some of the riders were shouting at slower riders from the 65km being passed. Shouting "keep left" and other more nasty stuff, when you have up to two lanes to safely pass, is just rude and kinda ruins it for the less experienced people. Most of the last few KMs had THREE lanes, yet you choose to fly past within inches of slow riders in the left lane...

Great weather, maybe a little windy but that's nit picking.

Was good to drop back and have some fun in the open seeded bunches vs the normal hanging on the pro's for dear life.

We had two guy's ride off the front of AL in the first few km's never to be seen again finishing 5mins ahead of the bunch. Huge kudos to them managing a 2:37 on there own the whole way.

One of them is an ex-club member of ours who also raced Elite (Team Asics) a few years ago. Originally from Kloof, but not sure where he is based now. Not surprising he rode away - super strong laaitie Edited by geraldm24

One of them is an ex-club member of ours who also raced Elite (Team Asics) a few years ago. Originally from Kloof, but not sure where he is based now. Not surprising he rode away - super strong laaitie

Yes I know Anton fairly well, he is an absolute workhorse. He and myself kept the break away at KZN champs this year but I was in no form or state of mind to do a 100km TT. :blink:

I did try a few moves off the front to chase them but no one else really committed and when we did get a gap with a few riders the bunch closed it down.

So just backed off and waited for the sprint. :P