The RS1 has vanished from the Olympics

Groenkloof1

Is it just me or was it very obvious that the pro's are ditching the RS1 in favour of SID's and the new Fox 32 step cast?

Would like to know your opinion on this interesting tech omission from the race

I think there's about 300g between the SID and the RS1. THe RS1 is still unrivaled when it comes to small bump and just how smooth it is all the way through it's stroke. I'm not sure what RS is planning for it, but I don't think it will get canned. 

From a marketing point of view it makes sense to have the SID out there as that was launched earlier this year and will be a 100mm only fork. Much like the new stepcast. Incidentally, if you could dig through RS' archives you will find drawings from 10 odd years ago of "stepped" lowers, but it was decided against it as the benefit does not outweigh the compromise. To them at least. 

I road the 32 SC and it's a great fork, but most definitely aimed at light racers only. 

Not sure why Fox is orange, but the SID is blue as a throwback to the original SID that was available in that blue. There is quite a bit of orange in Fox's vintage stuff so maybe that's why. 

And to make them more visible, fox has them all painted in this orange that matches none of the bikes.

Rock Shox have followed suit by painting theirs in a light blue that matches none of the bikes.

This ^^^

Man there have been some awful colour combos. The Spesh yellow/orange with blue fork and the puke green orbea with the orange fork. Blurgh....

I think there's about 300g between the SDI and the RS1. THe RS1 is still unrivaled when it comes to small bump and just how smooth it is all the way through it's stroke. I'm not sure what RS is planning for it, but I don't think it will get canned. 

From a marketing point of view it makes sense to have the SID out there as that was launched earlier this year and will be a 100mm only fork. Much like the new stepcast. Incidentally, if you could dig through RS' archives you will find drawings from 10 odd years ago of "stepped" lowers, but it was decided against it as the benefit does not outweigh the compromise. To them at least. 

I road the 32 SC and it's a great fork, but most definitely aimed at light racers only. 

Not sure why Fox is orange, but the SID is blue as a throwback to the original SID that was available in that blue. There is quite a bit of orange in Fox's vintage stuff so maybe that's why. 

Rockshox Judy! Ahh good times but that was a darker blue wasn't it?

I reckon the RS1 will market/morph into a marathon fork and the current crop of "lighties" will be for XCO/weight weenies.

I had noticed it, but I just smile to myself as I ride a lefty. I love my lefty.

Love my lefty too! Any line is a good line with the lefty. It's the best I have ever ridden.....well when it works anyway. They do have a few issues of late

Rockshox Judy! Ahh good times but that was a darker blue wasn't it?

I reckon the RS1 will market/morph into a marathon fork and the current crop of "lighties" will be for XCO/weight weenies.

True this!! For 2017 the specialized puts it on the epic s works marathon with the XTR DI.

The s works hardtail will also be called a epic it seems but with the normal brain shock like the epic FSR s works world cup

• 2 weeks later...

Problem with the RS1, besides being a bit heavier, is that it is not that easy to change a wheel. The stanchions twist and move Independantly, so can be a challenge for a fast wheel change. Where even a 20 second wheel change due to puncture could cost you the race, you don't want to mess around with issues getting a wheel fitted.