I've noticed a few themes developing in forum threads about the lack of road events and how PPA is dropping the ball.

Don't bash the PPA here. It's pointless.

As a member driven organisation it is run by a 12 person executive committee elected by the members at the AGM on a 2 year cycle, 6 members are replaced every year.

Joseph de Maistre said of democracy that every nation gets the government it deserves. And this is true of the PPA.

At the last AGM a staunchly pro road riding list of candidates, drawn from the local road clubs and others with credibility in promoting road riding and racing in the Western Cape, appeared on the ballot for election to the committee.

Not one of the pro road candidates was voted in while the mountain bike sympathetic candidates all got voted on or returned.  I was one of the casualties, as was Lance Burger who had served on the committee for many years and was instrumental in the court case against CSA about sanctioning on fun rides.

It is the right of members to choose who they want to represent them. I respect that. Of 15,000 members less than 200 can be bothered to spend 3 hours at the AGM.  As Joseph de Maistre said, you get what you deserve.

But if you don't go to the AGM and vote for the candidates that will represent your needs then please don't come to the hub and bash the PPA for doing what those members who turn up and vote want the PPA to do. 

Stand as a candidate or vote and make a difference. Or stop the bashing.

Full disclosure: I was forced to resign as a member of the PPA and am no longer eligible to be a committee member.  While a committee member I was instrumental in locating and purchasing the offices the PPA now occupies, a task that had been on the agenda for a number of years prior to me being elected. I was also the chairman of the safe cycling committee that launched the stay wider campaign on a national basis using celebrities like the late Gugu Zulu, DJ Fresh, Joel Stransky, DJ Suga and Anne Siroky. We sold thousands of stay wider shirts and had a presence at every major road race nationally.

Edit: Removed the facts that may be construed as "sour grapes" to avoid issue of voting being clouded.

Edit: Made title more relevant.

Edited by carbon29er

• Replies 252
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Maybe a little of PPA bashing will make those on the committee that are MTB inclined to take note of road cycling a little more. 

On the night of the PPA AGM, half my family was overseas and I was in hospital with my little one. Life does not always allow one to be present for AGM's etc.

Its like saying, the ANC is elected, no point in bashing them.

Lets just call it constructive criticism and not bashing.   

*I think PPA has an amazing ability to make a massive difference in road cycling very easily in the Western Cape, hence why I pay my subs and get friends and family to sign up. Just at the moment they are being really feeble towards road cycling in WC. 

A weird post... says don't bash the PPA but then does just that...

But interesting points raised nevertheless.

Can PPA supply member data that shows how members identify themselves... MTB, Road or Mixture of Both?

My feeling would be that one of PPA's core mandates should be to promote cycling along lines of members' interests. So if most of its members are roadies, then most of the events they promote/support should be road events.

Eish, I hold no brief on behalf of the PPA but as a member I find the post unfair for a number of reasons.

The OP casts doubt on the integrity of the CEO without placing any proof / evidence (OK, I forgot, this is the Hub!) It sounds like sour grapes to me and a battle of the ego's (just my 2 cents)

I recall the Chairperson proposed changing the agenda and put it to a vote - the members moved that the agenda be changed. If that was inconsistent with the PPA constitution, the OP could have raised it or bring an application. For the record, I was at the AGM (loved the snacks and red wine before the meeting - might have missed the OP's objection :w00t: )

If the roadies want to have a say, you attend the AGM - simple as that.

The roadies can "arrange (like the CEO allegedly did)" / lobby but you need to be at the AGM if you want to have a say.

I'm not a MTB'er / roadie - I'm just a slow weekend warrior - in other words, I'm just a cyclist with PPA membership

Edited by Bloukrans

The lack of road events didn't start when this year's committee was elected.

Just sayin...

But you make a good point, will make an effort to attend this years AGM, would love to see more road events.

I am a little concerned though about the roadie vs mtb'er theme. I think a large portion of cyclists do both? No need for one to be antagonistic about the other?

The lack of road events didn't start when this year's committee was elected.

Just sayin...

But you make a good point, will make an effort to attend this years AGM, would love to see more road events.

I am a little concerned though about the roadie vs mtb'er theme. I think a large portion of cyclists do both? No need for one to be antagonistic about the other?

To be honest, its probably not a conscious thought... 

I dont think they sit down and say, lets screw dem roadies, I think they just happen to be MTB'ers and are like, hey, I want to ride a bike. It just so happens to be a MTB. 

Almost all PPA funding comes from road, PPA should probably do a little more to support the largest source of income. Just common sense.

I dont think they sit down and say, lets screw dem roadies, I think they just happen to be MTB'ers and are like, hey, I want to ride a bike. It just so happens to be a MTB. 

Almost all PPA funding comes from road, PPA should probably do a little more to support the largest source of income. Just common sense.

The association shall have full powers to carry out it’s main and ancillary objects and purposes.  The powers of the association shall be exercised by the committee constituted in terms of clause 4 below save to the extent that they are exercised by the members in general meeting.

The main purpose and object of the association is to promote cycling and the interests of cyclists.  Without limiting the generality of the aforegoing, the association shall have the following ancillary objectives:

(a) to be a representative body for the furtherance of the interests of cyclists;

(b) to promote cycling as a recreational activity, a sport and as a means of transportation;

© to improve conditions for cyclists with particular regard to their safety;

(d) to arrange and organise cycle tours, fun rides and outings;

(e) to co-ordinate cycle tours, fun rides and outings organised by other bodies and to assist them in their efforts;

(f) to establish contact and liaise with and where appropriate affiliate with other organisations having similar or alike interests and objectives.

Ps: no reference to Mtb'er or roadies in the PPA's objectives - just cycling.

That is what we do - cycle :clap:

I'm out of here - see you at the next AGM!!!!

Edited by Bloukrans

I must admit, that would be a good point to discuss.

Which diciplines are the main sources of revenue, and where does most of their spend go?

Somebody here that has those numbers?

Come on! Should have kept this post for Friday!

Isn't the OP bashing the PPA himself? Just asking.

Which diciplines are the main sources of revenue, and where does most of their spend go?

Edited by Pure Savage

PPA member participation in events in 2015

Road events 14,582

MTB events 5,944

This is unique members participating in timed events. Members who ride both road and MTB will be counted once in each event.

The spend is a bit of a secret as it's allocated as projects.

Revenue is much simpler to discuss.

In the last financial year that figures are disclosed (2015 AFS) the revenue was:

Cape Town Cycle Tour R7,257,443

Membership Fee R3,889,914

Based on the member ratios it's probably safe to say 70% of membership fees and 100% of Cycle Tour income comes from road events.