The cost for staff training has increased considerably ..... are there by any chance more staff members vs the previous regime? If so could this contribute to the large salary increase? 

Only one new appointment since 2015 and that is the CEO, all other staff numbers are consistent and unchanged. A few face changes but no increase in numbers.

• Replies 252
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If you really want the PPA to succeed for the sake of cycling, and to make it better, you should re-join and be involved again and contribute positively.

If you no longer care, or you don't want them to succeed in the long term, perhaps so that you can say "told you so", you should stay away. 

If you decide to stay away, then it is up to you to decide whether you move on (and perhaps contribute elsewhere in cycling?) or continue to snipe from the PPA sidelines. 

That is as simple as it is. The ball is in your court!

I don't think it's a told you so attitude at all.

It's more that there is no point farting against thunder.

Last year I put together a really attractive collection of pro road candidates, Peter included.

The Chairman also stood up and said that there will be more road events in 2015/2016. 

Not one of the pro road candidates were elected, the candidates anointed by the CEO were elected and surprise surprise there were no more road events in 2015/2016.

So this year we decided to eliminate the offensive personalties of Peter and myself by not standing and give some new dedicated pro road candidates a chance.

Full report outstanding

unfortunately I had to leave near the end of Rob Vogels report as my little one had enough of canal walk and i was threatened with a long walk home!

They have heard our cries for more road events and have worked on it, will see in the coming months.

d661df06178b36aa626ce126f2ceebc7.jpg

Not a happy chappy

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

unfortunately I had to leave near the end of Rob Vogels report as my little one had enough of canal walk and i was threatened with a long walk home!

They have heard our cries for more road events and have worked on it, will see in the coming months.

Not a happy chappy

You or the kid?

Not a happy chappy

So a civil and productive agm?

So a civil and productive agm?

Yes, very much so. Very pertinent questions were asked and very honest and open answers given. Much too long a meeting (2 hours) to give a full report. 

I'll sum it up like this:

The PPA is 40 years old. It has been steered wisely over 40 years. It will be steered wisely in future. It is financially stable despite last years reduced income from Cycle Tour. Membership was 2000 down,  but already almost up where is was at time of last "disastrous" reporting. Money will be spent wisely. PPA to grow its presence in the rest of the country. New office in Freestate, more involvement in Gauteng. Decision to invest in CEO and staff is part of long term plan to make PPA relevant in a changing society. Full time CEO working bloody hard. Doing its best for more road races. Road permission difficult especially in South peninsula. Investing in youth development. Youth academy to send best youngsters overseas on "bursary" to race with clubs there. Safety campaigns. Working together amicably with CSA. All PPA races sanctioned. New exco members selected, Abbas Harris, Galiema Harris, John Gale, Kirsten Wilkens, Rodney Beck, Sharief Peters (working from memory).

Sorry to say, but a lot of the very negative remarks posted here, really sounds like very sour grapes after what I saw at the AGM.  

Yes, very much so. Very pertinent questions were asked and very honest and open answers given. Much too long a meeting (2 hours) to give a full report. 

I'll sum it up like this:

The PPA is 40 years old. It has been steered wisely over 40 years. It will be steered wisely in future. It is financially stable despite last years reduced income from Cycle Tour. Membership was 2000 down,  but already almost up where is was at time of last "disastrous" reporting. Money will be spent wisely. PPA to grow its presence in the rest of the country. New office in Freestate, more involvement in Gauteng. Decision to invest in CEO and staff is part of long term plan to make PPA relevant in a changing society. Full time CEO working bloody hard. Doing its best for more road races. Road permission difficult especially in South peninsula. Investing in youth development. Youth academy to send best youngsters overseas on "bursary" to race with clubs there. Safety campaigns. Working together amicably with CSA. All PPA races sanctioned. New exco members selected, Abbas Harris, Galiema Harris, John Gale, Kirsten Wilkens, Rodney Beck, Sharief Peters (working from memory).

Sorry to say, but a lot of the very negative remarks posted here, really sounds like very sour grapes after what I saw at the AGM.  

That sounds brilliant ..... might just have to take out a PPA membership again.

Fascinating closing remark about "sour grapes" there, DJR

Thanks for the brief feedback

I back the PPA

A good organization for cycling run by imperfect peoples who bleed red and are trying something constructive ????

This is a nice sentiment, but the reality is that many if not most of the members joined the PPA because they benefitted from being members. Generally the members did not join PPA to offer their membership fee as a charity. 

I am a recreational cyclist, that enjoys cycling and would rather do a PPA funride than do a solo ride on my own. There are comparatively few events these days for road cyclists. In the past if you had done 4 to 5 funrides with the PPA it would have paid for your membership. These days, you need to do at least 8 rides, and you would be extremely hard pressed to find 8 rides to join on the PPA road calendar. There is no longer a direct benefit experienced by many cyclists who have been members of the PPA for years.

Right or wrong, most of the members did not join PPA to make a positive contribution to the PPA. They joined because they enjoyed the benefits of being part of the PPA, unless the PPA can address this, members will continue to leave the PPA.

I agree, as an individual contributing on this thread what you say there is the truth. But looking at it in purely an offering perspective, I think what what you have highlighted is a question many contemplating the value of membership are asking.  

Ed: I see it has been said above.

My post was directed at icycling only, who, after many years as PPA member and after serving on the exco of PPA, has decided to no longer be a member, or to be involved.

This is a nice sentiment, but the reality is that many if not most of the members joined the PPA because they benefitted from being members. Generally the members did not join PPA to offer their membership fee as a charity. 

I am a recreational cyclist, that enjoys cycling and would rather do a PPA funride than do a solo ride on my own. There are comparatively few events these days for road cyclists. In the past if you had done 4 to 5 funrides with the PPA it would have paid for your membership. These days, you need to do at least 8 rides, and you would be extremely hard pressed to find 8 rides to join on the PPA road calendar. There is no longer a direct benefit experienced by many cyclists who have been members of the PPA for years.

Right or wrong, most of the members did not join PPA to make a positive contribution to the PPA. They joined because they enjoyed the benefits of being part of the PPA, unless the PPA can address this, members will continue to leave the PPA.

I absolutely agree with you. People should join or not join the PPA because there is an advantage for them and they get benefits from being a member. Personally, I see the organized road funrides and a shortcut entry for the Cycle Tour as the biggest benefits, but there are others. 

http://www.pedalpower.org.za/members-benefits/

what is the cost to join ... started looking on the PPA site, but go from one personal detail page to the next without them actually saying what the fees are yet..

what is the cost to join ... started looking on the PPA site, but go from one personal detail page to the next without them actually saying what the fees are yet..

350 I think ????

Archived