Proxies not accepted.

My feeling is that all the guys up for re-election this year who have served PPA for years will be voted off to be replaced by people even more anti road races than the guys they are replacing.if

if that is the case then Rob Vogel will be in for a hard time & the new chair.

• Replies 252
  • Created
  • Last Reply

be open and transparent and you wont be bashed - if you take the last ppa agm

- for the first time there were quality nominations and then Steve stepped in to change the agenda

- then tried to convince everyone present that the attendees wanted it.

- rent a crowd (who left straight after voting - very bad manners)

- the agm is held on a Wednesday which is a Killarney night - this is done on purpose - lets see what happens this year.

-the exco cant be voted out en bloc in one year - very clever ploy

other issues

-sanctioning & Lance Burger - i wonder if the good judge who ruled in the ppa favour knows that the ppa now seek sanctioning for their events from the csa - the argus , dc , 1 tonner etc etc are all now sanctioned. this after the uci stepped in and would not allow Mark Cavendish ride an unsanctioned event - the ppa learnt very quickly you cant have your cake and eat it.

imho the ppa road calendar will keep on shrinking because it is becoming increasingly difficult to hold mass participation events in the greater CTown. if the ppa dont elect / employ forward thinking people then the road calendar will consist of the DC, the Stellenbosch Tour and the Argus.

Notice is hereby given that the Annual General Meeting of the Pedal Power Association will be held on Thursday 22 September 2016 at 18h00 for 18h30 at the Canal Walk

i wonder if the person who took this decision will have the guts to stand up and tell us why he / she decided to move it from a Wednesday to a Thursday.

Notice is hereby given that the Annual General Meeting of the Pedal Power Association will be held on Thursday 22 September 2016 at 18h00 for 18h30 at the Canal Walk

i wonder if the person who took this decision will have the guts to stand up and tell us why he / she decided to move it from a Wednesday to a Thursday.

Makes no sense, but if there are some road friendly people that we can nominate then we should miss the racing for one night to go get some people on committee.

Also ask about the investment trust...

This season the competitive Killarney will now be on a Thursday night - use to be a PPA training night, pretty sure PPA was informed why Thursday was not available too them or PPA made a compromise.

Having the AGM on a Thursday night would now more than likely excluding a number of there more active road riders - is this the type of committee the road cyclist deserve? Riders who are still members (I am not) write to PPA explaining your views.

the PPA are seriously alienating the future of cycling in our town by excluding the youth/younger members of their association. we are not fools - we can see what is going on - i remember one prominent politician stating that the ANC will never be voted out of power before the 2nd coming of Christ - well imho He's on his way. PPA be wary, very wary.

This season the competitive Killarney will now be on a Thursday night - use to be a PPA training night, pretty sure PPA was informed why Thursday was not available too them or PPA made a compromise.

Having the AGM on a Thursday night would now more than likely excluding a number of there more active road riders - is this the type of committee the road cyclist deserve? Riders who are still members (I am not) write to PPA explaining your views.

What a klomp twak.

If you can't give up one flippin' training ride to go and have your say, cast a vote etc., then the state of PPA leadership is clearly not a big issue for you. Or the people you're trying to rally to your cause.

What a klomp twak.

If you can't give up one flippin' training ride to go and have your say, cast a vote etc., then the state of PPA leadership is clearly not a big issue for you. Or the people you're trying to rally to your cause.

As I have chosen not to retain my membership off 34 years anymore - I cannot vote.

As for the riders who need to go "RACE" at Killarney, I completely understand, it's a series and a lot them who have sponsors who expect them to be racing.

PPA - given their lack of road event and having had no league races this past year, are not making any attempt to even try and accommodate these riders - and with all due respect there very loyal event supports - i.e. They bought bulk entries to 6 races reason of the leagues. A number of them including myself are members not only of he 2000km club but even the 10 000km club. If you don't know what this clubs are - look them up in the archives of PPA.

What a klomp twak.

I could not agree more. That's why I started this thread. Although to be fair, it is a league, not just training. But why not cancel that day and vote. If it is so important to you.

I could not agree more. That's why I started this thread. Although to be fair, it is a league, not just training. But why not cancel that day and vote. If it is so important to you.

Or get 25 guys to race each other on another day? (Sorry, I couldn't resist.)

so... who do i vote for?  would like someone with the interests of Roadies AND Mtb'ers alike.

Here is the irony. There are literally a thousand mountain bike events owned and operated by independent organisers. Stage races, day races, the works. I think mountain bikers are pretty well looked after.

From memory there are about eight road races independent of the PPA. They are not an attractive proposition for the with profit model. But the bigggie made the PPA a R7 million profit last year.  It's my contention that more of this gets spent on the members who NEED road races as there are so few.

cancelling road events is a PPA thing - switching the day to coincide with Killarney racing hhmmm thats just plain childish.

Or get 25 guys to race each other on another day? (Sorry, I couldn't resist.)

Quite a few more than 25 - probably about the same size as your average PPA MTB funride (according to results). This cost of timing looking at the PPA website amounts / value to approximately R100.00 per rider for timing - they spend this on timing for something which is not a "RACE!"(Sorry, I couldn't now resist)

http://www.pedalpower.org.za/where-does-the-money-go/

"PPA pays roughly R12 700 to time a road event and R10 000 to time a MTB events (one mat).

Organisers can request and pay for additional timing mats at the venue (around R6 000) if required.

Additional en-route (checkpoint) mats are quoted per event and paid by the event organiser"

R10 000.00 to time what often is less than 100 timed MTB finishers and that's assuming they only use 1 mat!

That's briefly how I got to my cost of a R100 per rider for timing at an MTB event if anyone should ask.

cancelling road events is a PPA thing - switching the day to coincide with Killarney racing hhmmm thats just plain childish.

a bit more history here...was the AGM always on a wednesday and only moved to a thursday this year? is this really a concerted move, or just a coincidence - what date came out first??

Quite a few more than 25 - probably about the same size as your average PPA MTB funride (according to results). This cost of timing looking at the PPA website amounts / value to approximately R100.00 per rider for timing - they spend this on timing for something which is not a "RACE!"(Sorry, I couldn't now resist)

http://www.pedalpower.org.za/where-does-the-money-go/

"PPA pays roughly R12 700 to time a road event and R10 000 to time a MTB events (one mat).

Organisers can request and pay for additional timing mats at the venue (around R6 000) if required.

Additional en-route (checkpoint) mats are quoted per event and paid by the event organiser"

R10 000.00 to time what often is less than 100 timed MTB finishers and that's assuming they only use 1 mat!

That's briefly how I got to my cost of a R100 per rider for timing at an MTB event if anyone should ask.

Surely they'd need a minimum of 2 - start and end? Unless they use the same start mat for the finish line. 

Just asking. Genuinely curious

Archived