2017 Specialized Camber Comp

Daniel Saaiman

What are your thoughts on the 2017 Camber Comp? I'm trying to decide between the Camber and the Stumpjumper FSR Comp (R9000 more).

Any other bike (Trail 29er) recommendations in this price range?

Camber Comp: R40k

Stumpy: R49k

For me, Camber is the best bike I've ever owned. Perfect for the various terrains and race types we subject too in South Africa. All new Cambers are 120mm travel I think. Perfect for the trail.

If you in Joburg I think there's a Spez demo day coming up soon. Best bet, go ride both back to back and decide for yourself.

What are your thoughts on the 2017 Camber Comp? I'm trying to decide between the Camber and the Stumpjumper FSR Comp (R9000 more).

In CT, Stumpy. Every day of the week...

Daniel, what size are you?

The Stumpy Comp has a dropper and the Camber Comp doesn't which explains some of the price difference...

The Stumpy is an amazing "pure" trail bike, and the Camber is incredibly versatile. Some Camber owners have upped their fork travel from 120mm to 130mm or 140mm (costs under R2000 to do with a new air spring) to give their Cambers a little more aggression.

Daniel, what size are you?

The Stumpy Comp has a dropper and the Camber Comp doesn't which explains some of the price difference...

The Stumpy is an amazing "pure" trail bike, and the Camber is incredibly versatile. Some Camber owners have upped their fork travel from 120mm to 130mm or 140mm (costs under R2000 to do with a new air spring) to give their Cambers a little more aggression.

Yeah. Exactly the same frame just a different linkage for the lower travel. Camber with 140 at the front would be great

Quite a steep price increase. 2016 Camber Comp was R34k.

Sort of... couple of factors...

> The 2016 Camber Comp was really well priced in the first place

> Specification has been improved from 2x10 to 2x11

> Pricing for 2017 models based on R16 = 1 euro (2016 models based on R14 = 1 euro) ... Thanks Mr Zuma

> Small inflation on base price in Euro's

= adds up to the price increase.

I Bought a Camber comp for my wife in 2014. She loves it. It really is a comfortable and excellent all-round bike ! Try to get a ride on both and then decide.

Rather try and find a 2016 camber in your price range. Same bike, just different colour schemes with ~20% discount - and if I recall correctly some 2016 models were slightly better specced

Rather try and find a 2016 camber in your price range. Same bike, just different colour schemes with ~20% discount - and if I recall correctly some 2016 models were slightly better specced

Good advice.

I am in the fortunate position where I have relatives with both of these bikes (2016 models). I love both these bikes - for their respective purposes!

In Western Cape area it is a very easy choice - Stumpy any day of the week, I just feel so much more confidence on any technical section with the Stumpy over the Camber, with very little sacrifices in speed and climbing ability (although the Camber is slightly better up due to the seating position). In Gauteng, I would take the Camber for the simple reason that you can't really use the Stumpy to it's full potential here - everything is flat and fast (where I ride anyway).

Alternative way to look at it, if you enjoy bombing down the hills - the Stumpy is your bike, you will be left wanting with the Camber. If you are more in it for the long XC style rides with the occasional technical section or descent I would say go for the Camber, although the Stumpy won't disappoint you in this regard, it is just not as efficient in terms of power transfer as the Camber and feels allot more cushy

So long story short, my personal preference is Stumpy, it just gives you so much confidence on the descents, and is fast enough for me on XC rides, but I will not want to do a Joberg2C or an Cape Epic on it.

Hope my babbling helps!

Edited by Rigardt Griessel