Riding at Suikerbosrand?

Matuka

Midvaal municipality has started a R50mil upgrade on that road starting in Meyerton and will continue all the way to Ekhurleni. Whether that upgrade will include a larger shoulder to make it safer for cyclists is yet to be seen. 

Which road is that? Karee road (from Daleside to Kareekloof)?

• Replies 659
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Front or back gate?

Might see you there if you go in the back gate.

Front gate I think. Should be there a bit after 7. It's about 49 km from where we start.

Ride safe.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Appreciated Gerald

Mainly traffic volumes I guess, especially if there is no shoulder.

And tissues.... tissues in the Cafe upon the return, as we have a bunch of SBR virgins coming along.

One car passed us on that road to the reserve and nothing on the way back. Very quiet.

A few potholes have opened up since the R4S... that will be on your way back.

Which road is that? Karee road (from Daleside to Kareekloof)?

M61 Springbok Road which becomes Vereeniging Road, starting at Meyer Street intersection in Meyerton 

How's your times around there?

I try use the place to have a safe road ride that's good for training...push up the hills, recover on the flats but enjoy the downs!

You must have an impressive recovery time - the only thing flat at SBR is my will to live!

Happy to report that the Cafe Du Cirque is a total find! The route from there to the back gate is easy enough and road quiet.

Coming in through the back gate and turning left with that monster of climb pretty much 20 mins in is a big wake up call. But at least its done and out the way

Awesome mornings riding there yesterday

@Gerald, Have you guys ever done a club ride where you ride out and do a double lap and head back?

If so what sort of pace do you guys ride at?

@Gerald, Have you guys ever done a club ride where you ride out and do a double lap and head back?

If so what sort of pace do you guys ride at?

No double lap - the single lap gives us 140Km, which is probably close to the limit of a number of members, at a medium/fast pace. That said, some of our members did a triple lap on Saturday (just not not riding there though) = 176Km.

As far as pace is concerned, about 28km/h average for the entire distance. Can be faster, but the reserve has that cunning ability to split the groups up, and often results in "waiting" time at one of the entrance gates for the faster guys.

It might be possible to do a 1.3/4 lap (doing the larger loop twice), and coming through the front (main) gate). That gives us about 165-170Km, but is seldom done - based on a mix of rider ability.

No double lap - the single lap gives us 140Km, which is probably close to the limit of a number of members, at a medium/fast pace. That said, some of our members did a triple lap on Saturday (just not not riding there though) = 176Km.

As far as pace is concerned, about 28km/h average for the entire distance. Can be faster, but the reserve has that cunning ability to split the groups up, and often results in "waiting" time at one of the entrance gates for the faster guys.

It might be possible to do a 1.3/4 lap (doing the larger loop twice), and coming through the front (main) gate). That gives us about 165-170Km, but is seldom done - based on a mix of rider ability.

Ah ok, how many riders are you then? 28km/h is a decent speed for that distance.

Who are the triple lap guys? Want to go stalk their Strava. 

Triple lap is a bit of a far reach for me mentally. 

I'm trying to convince myself to go from Heidelberg and do a double and head back. Will end up being around 170km, just can't find anyone who wants to come suffer with me.

Ah ok, how many riders are you then? 28km/h is a decent speed for that distance.

I'm trying to convince myself to go from Heidelberg and do a double and head back. Will end up being around 170km, just can't find anyone who wants to come suffer with me.

These same guys are doing the MalutiD90 and L'Etape, and then also the 36One.

Suikerbosrand is alive and healthy.

Yesterday (human rights day) there were plus/minus 50 cars queuing waiting to get into the main gate at 7am :-)

I know. I have done a few doubles (and bonked out on one halfway up the big climb). I am doing Nove Colli in May and should (theoretically) be doing a four lapper before then. Problem is I cannot face that starting hill (front gate) for a 3rd time. I end up chickening out every time...

Clearly I am not a climber. Maybe I should try it with you once. I do around 2:15 cattle grid to cattle grid for a single lap and around 2:30 for each of a double.

Rode there yesterday morning , as usual a tough ride but managed a pb for SBR  :clap: .

There was a bad accident where someone broke a leg after hitting a barrier on one of the downhills. Hope he heals up soon.

I know. I have done a few doubles (and bonked out on one halfway up the big climb). I am doing Nove Colli in May and should (theoretically) be doing a four lapper before then. Problem is I cannot face that starting hill (front gate) for a 3rd time. I end up chickening out every time...

Clearly I am not a climber. Maybe I should try it with you once. I do around 2:15 cattle grid to cattle grid for a single lap and around 2:30 for each of a double.

If you're up to it we can try go for it the weekend the 8th of April?

Why not start at the Circus and use the Karee kloof entrance?