SARS & eFiling - What gives?!

Johan A Marais

Correct, well done.

So I wonder when they will pay me? The date on the assessment form says next year sometime. But I seem to remember seeing that before and it was wrong.

• Replies 558
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

So I wonder when they will pay me? The date on the assessment form says next year sometime. But I seem to remember seeing that before and it was wrong.

They had a date of end October 2020 for me but I called them and told them it exceeded their assessment timeline. Was paid the next day.

I had to follow up on every step of the way though......

They had a date of end October 2020 for me but I called them and told them it exceeded their assessment timeline. Was paid the next day.

I had to follow up on every step of the way though......

I was also audited and received the same message as LWB.  I didn't do any phoning or following up and was refunded 3 days after receiving the finalization letter.  

My whole process took just over a month with all the back and forth.  I only ever took 1 day max to respond with documents to any correspondence from SARS, all the waiting was for them to evaluate.

Fairly happy with the process if I'm honest.  They were clear about what information they needed, and the turnaround time wasn't too bad all things considered.  

I was also audited and received the same message as LWB.  I didn't do any phoning or following up and was refunded 3 days after receiving the finalization letter.  

My whole process took just over a month with all the back and forth.  I only ever took 1 day max to respond with documents to any correspondence from SARS, all the waiting was for them to evaluate.

Fairly happy with the process if I'm honest.  They were clear about what information they needed, and the turnaround time wasn't too bad all things considered.  

Good to know. So hopefully I get paid early next week then.

I must say though, the letter I got asking for forms was a very generic one and they asked for things not relating to my audit. But because I have been audited before I knew this so just sent what I knew they would need. I don't mind being audited as long as it's justified and in my case[this time] it was. Last audit they were just fishing.

Good to know. So hopefully I get paid early next week then.

I must say though, the letter I got asking for forms was a very generic one and they asked for things not relating to my audit. But because I have been audited before I knew this so just sent what I knew they would need. I don't mind being audited as long as it's justified and in my case[this time] it was. Last audit they were just fishing.

Money was in my account on Saturday Morning.

• 1 month later...

No issues, everything was filled in already when I logged in, even tax certificated that I had to manually add in previous years. Just had to double check and submit it. I owe them money due to interest on investments. No getting away from the tax man.

Been busy with things  :ph34r: and only remembered to do my SARS on Sunday, one day before the final day for e-filing. Was impressed that everything was filled in already, even my interest and dividends which I normally have to provide documentation on when being audited. Only thing I had to add was my travel allowance details and change of address. 

Didn't get a notice that I am being audited, and was holding thumbs that they won't change their mind, clearly they didn't as I got my refund this morning.  :thumbup:

Edit: Spelling

Edited by PieterJvR

Been busy with things  :ph34r: and only remembered to do my SARS on Sunday, one day before the final day for e-filing. Was impressed that everything was filled in already, even my interest and dividends which I normally have to provide documentation on when being audited. Only thing I had to add was my travel allowance details and change of address. 

Didn't get a notice that I am being audited, and was holding thumbs that they won't change their mind, clearly they didn't as I got my refund this morning.  :thumbup:

Edit: Spelling

Great experience for me. Submitted Monday pm, refunded this morning.

I see that SARS might have to plan on redoing their website. They are currently using Adobe Flash, and that has been discontinued.

That will be a big rewrite as Flash is proprietary web tech which is very much different to current tech stacks such as Angular, React or Vue.

The benefit once done is that we would not have to download or update Adobe Flash every year before filing our taxes.

Edited by Moridin

I see that SARS might have to plan on redoing their website. They are currently using Adobe Flash, and that has been discontinued.

That will be a big rewrite as Flash is proprietary web tech which is very much different to current tech stacks such as Angular, React or Vue.

The benefit once done is that we would not have to download or update Adobe Flash every year before filing our taxes.

Haven't they already done this? The whole HTML5 thing?

• 7 months later...

Good Morning All

Just finished my e-filing, currently isolating due to covid so slept the whole of yesterday so now missioning around the house with soothing snoring sounds in the background ????...anyways

Just a question: 

My SWAMBO worked from home from 16 March last year. We have all the required documents (letter from her employer confirming this)

When I did mine, (just 2 months as home last year) didnt see anything anywhere where you could select an option relating to work from home. Did a calculation on TaxTim and have a good estimate amount. So my actual question is how and where can you claim that?

Thanks

The option is under 'other deductions'. If I remember correctly this section opens up when you answer 'yes' to the question '‘Did you incur any expenditure that you wish to claim as a deduction that was not 
addressed by the previous questions?’

Home office expenses would only be applicable if you spent more than 50% of working hours at home, and have a letter from employer confirming this. You would also need a dedicated office for work. 

You would need to have a calculation showing the size of the office in relation to the house as a whole to apportion expenses. 

As a side note: using a portion of a house as a home office and claiming expenses, this would impact and could reduce the effect of the primary residence exclusion of Capital Gains Tax if you decide to sell the house later. This also applies for renting out a Carden cottage or flat on property where you live.

Not sure if I am being dof or if there is something wrong with efiling page, but I cannot find my 2021 ITR12...

I can see all prior years but not 2021 (?)

Also can't find 2021. ????

Edit1: It's working now, after I refreshed the screen, clear cookies, deleted browsing history, watched a rerun of Tuesday sprint win by Cav and made a cup of coffee.

Edit2: Can't get the results from the Calculate function. Will try later.

Edited by Frosty