Continental GP4000 S2 Quality issues

GideonJ

Hi 

Has anyone else experienced quality issue with Continental GP4000 S2 tyres. I've had mine for about 18 months, done maybe 3000km on them with still lots of thread left and they have now developed "cracks" (perish?) along the surface of the tyre.

This is the second time (and I've only tried them twice) I experienced quality issues with GP4000's. The first time the tyre were damaged on the side I thought it was maybe something I did wrong (could not figure out what though) but now I am seriously starting to doubt the quality of the tyres. Somehow I expect more from tyres at the price they are being sold for.

Would appreciate input from other GP4000S2 riders.

Thanks

post-49839-0-75631300-1474197743_thumb.jpg

Need to have a look at mine. Have them for about 12 months, but only use them for races so they haven't don't alot of mileage.

Will report back tomorrow...

18 months is a long time, especially for race specific rubber compounds.

If you don't ride that much, rather look at more robust tyres, Gators etc.

I use GP4000s and the only issue I have is that they aren't exactly puncture proof, but I expect that, so it's not a disappointment.

Some rubber compounds do that since they have dried out. When the oils etc have evaporated out of the compound.

Typically where you store the bike could have that effect. If it is a spot where the elements can get to it more this will happen quicker.

It could perhaps also be if they have been on the shelf in the shop for a while before you bought them - not "fresh" rubber.

I don't consider 18 months to be that long, they are only being used for long rides over weekends and races, during the week I do my training on a trainer (Kickr). I have now replaced the faulty tyre with a Gator I've had on before I started using the GP4000's and that's in pretty good shape still.

My experience on the other hand has been pretty good in terms of puncture resistance, not one puncture on both sets where as other riders in the group have been getting punctures around me (some of them on Gators strangely enough).

Do you store the bike with wheels deflated?

Is that the only spot where rubber is cracked?

Front wheel or rear wheel?

Edited by Cippo

I need to replace my 23mm Gators with a 25mm something. Looking at going Gators again as I know what to expect, Got around 8500km on my current set.

LBS recommends "4000 S2 as they have better puncture resistance" unquote

This will go on my everyday wheel of which I'll probly do atleast another 3000km until the DC. I'm still finishing my racing wheelset, still need to get hubs so my training wheels will have to do

What you guys think?

Have never needed to wash my bike with a detergent, only wiped it with a wet cloth as I don't know what detergents might do to the carbon.

And no, I do not store my bike with the wheels deflated and it is only the back wheel. It's got cracks in more than one spot, I tried uploading more photo's but got errors after the first one was uploaded. The other spots are less severe though.

GP 4000 is a race tire with some pretty interesting compounds in it for traction. Its like buying the fanciest racing slick you can get - great traction and handling. But with that will come wear and tear.

Some ideas:

The most traumatic things your tire undergoes is not the detergent. Its the road you ride it down. There are lots of physical things and surfaces as well as chemicals that could do what you show. Where do you ride.

THose look pretty worn BTW. Looks like you could also check your pressures and your pumps - over and under inflation will do in a tyre pretty quickly.

Rubber cures (as mentioned) - they do change over time. The compound is less flexible owing to age related deterioration. and cant handle the regular inflation and pressures.

How big are you and what pressures are you running. 23 or 25mm tyres?. What rims are they mounted on (how narrow).

If you want longevity get Gators - they are bulletproof but even they perish.

But I would be very happy with 18 months TBH....

I switched to Schwalbe Durano plus 25mm from 23mm Gators. I am extremely impressed with all aspects ie. durability / grip / comfort. And the sidewalls put the Gator sidewalls to shame.

I switched to Schwalbe Durano plus 25mm from 23mm Gators. I am extremely impressed with all aspects ie. durability / grip / comfort. And the sidewalls put the Gator sidewalls to shame.

Yes I have been through a couple of sidewalls on Conti's but that was mainly GP 3000.  Never on a Gator Skin - however there are many different variants of Gators....

Hopefully not on the GP 4000 as they cost a sh*tload of money so I don't want to blow out my current set. 

I want to try Schwalbe for the tandem....

Yes I have been through a couple of sidewalls on Conti's but that was mainly GP 3000.  Never on a Gator Skin - however there are many different variants of Gators....

Hopefully not on the GP 4000 as they cost a sh*tload of money so I don't want to blow out my current set. 

I want to try Schwalbe for the tandem....

I weigh about as much as a tandem and I can only say good things about these tyres (and they are comparatively affordable)

Where did you get them from ? I looked for them a few months back but couldn't find them locally. I see CRC have them for R540 each for 25mm folding.

I run GP 4000 tubbies (Black Chili) on my race wheels and they last years. But then maybe they use a different compound, I do store them just slightly inflated, in wheel bags, in the top of a cupboard to maybe that's the key.