Amateur 3D Printing

Schmorglebot

2 hours ago, Kom said:

My latest thingiverse download is probably the most cycling related print job I can think of!

After much frustration with grind spillage and perfect dosing into the portafilter on my Breville Barista Express, I found this piece of genius!

I honestly don’t know why this isn’t a standard accessory with this coffee machine, my shot consistency (and cleanliness) is now near perfection 👏

8E011CA0-90E8-45B8-81F4-5561D0257255.jpeg

7CBC92E3-0195-4BEF-8CCC-6A3FD5651247.jpeg

D79AC689-60D3-47C7-B19C-61EFCD1238A9.png

Hey Kom, I have the same irritation, are you willing to sell one?

• Replies 262
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Last nights print job - a small black o ring that keeps my AirPods locked in when I smile 😀 (or exercise and they like to fall out)

Of all the gadgets I’ve seen to solve the slippery AirPod problem, this is the one that works best for me, and the AirPods still fit in the charging case with them attached.

another standard accessory Apple should be including for better fitment of funny eared people like me 👂 

C78CE501-94F6-4FEB-B1A1-8335A3A4868A.png

Edited by Kom

Someone on aliexpress is selling these printed stem covers for the previous generation Propel.
I don't mind the OEM stem cap so much, since on my Large frame with big saddle to bar drop the 120mm stem doesn't look too ungainly, but this does seem like a decent execution to improve the aesthetics of the bike. Obviously no model available so can't try printing. No way I can design this!

image.png.91171056f8dc1f8efac46e8c3754b686.png

12 hours ago, bleedToWin said:

Someone on aliexpress is selling these printed stem covers for the previous generation Propel.
I don't mind the OEM stem cap so much, since on my Large frame with big saddle to bar drop the 120mm stem doesn't look too ungainly, but this does seem like a decent execution to improve the aesthetics of the bike. Obviously no model available so can't try printing. No way I can design this!

image.png.91171056f8dc1f8efac46e8c3754b686.png

Ive literally got this on my todo list - total coincidence that i see this.

Not sure i could live with the print lines vs. just keeping the OEM part though now that ive seen an end result.

Off the topic a little, but the Giant Defy comes with a compatible stem for the propel that really looks nice if you can source one.

10 hours ago, Kom said:

Not sure i could live with the print lines vs. just keeping the OEM part though now that ive seen an end result.

Off the topic a little, but the Giant Defy comes with a compatible stem for the propel that really looks nice if you can source one.

Sand It Down and Spray It any Colour you like.

20 hours ago, Kom said:

10 hours ago, dasilvarsa said:

Sand It Down and Spray It any Colour you like.

If you figure out how to get a good looking result (paramount since this is 100% a vanity "upgrade")  either with your own print or professional prints of your prototype then you've got a customer in me and presumably many others!

On 6/15/2023 at 9:33 PM, Kom said:

https://www.amtcomposites.co.za/product/xtc-3d/?gad=1

Have a look at this to smooth out the contour lines, just not sure about the weathering ability of said stuff... 

Otherwise your next option is to go from 400-800-1000-2000 grit sand papers and then spray with a clear lacquer such as a Rustoleum 2x cover, or similar. 

When printing this, I would suggest something like PETG/Nylon/ABS.

PETG is fully chemical resistant and does well in the sun as well, have had some structural parts outside for around 2 years now and no issues with their integrity. 

14 hours ago, Mtree said:

https://www.amtcomposites.co.za/product/xtc-3d/?gad=1

Have a look at this to smooth out the contour lines, just not sure about the weathering ability of said stuff... 

Otherwise your next option is to go from 400-800-1000-2000 grit sand papers and then spray with a clear lacquer such as a Rustoleum 2x cover, or similar. 

When printing this, I would suggest something like PETG/Nylon/ABS.

PETG is fully chemical resistant and does well in the sun as well, have had some structural parts outside for around 2 years now and no issues with their integrity. 

⚠️ Warning ⚠️ - Lengthy Opinion in response to your helpful recommendation 😁 : -->

When it comes to finishing, im not sure sanding, spraying, polishing is my strength - ive tried but i always end up with something i just dont like. Call it OCD.

Occasionally i print something that looks OEM, like these sleeves i printed for my car's vent controls. Straight off the print bed, literally looks like it was made for the car, and in this case the contours from the print actually look intentional.

Given the position of this stem cover, staring at it while riding my matt black propel, with even the slightest blemish, would just not work for me.

My initial learnings from 3D printing are that its no doubt a must have tool in everyones homes, ive already redeemed my outlay on useful prints within a month of ownership, but there are limitations on the amount of time you are willing to spend on designs and finishing products, vs. going out and just buying the equivalent (if it exists 😜).

discovery controls.png

17 hours ago, MongooseMan said:

Got tired of spilling Cadence powder on the sides of my bottles every time, but didn't want a skinny funnel, so made this.

Simple, but it works.

AJFCJaWfGZLVqyVs2kW7jKU7PfskxyFybU7VBDGoU2dPnVccBXeBs4b8_oexUyPnGWQtffuKbEO463DwM4kO0ud8m3IqCZdYsSbyMNod86R3aN3Q__x0EFnRpc4KWVIfvUbDWSf4-BEuhIHz9S2sliTmZ4GrJO6xgP_eKHlEG755462rCvZveD4-fIBHLvGQY9Ttu89oLxIaKYo_F0pfORcUcxSQipM5BL822AEm9jcZPP4TZgrFypDfKTuyOp_Fw-4gZGKy_zLoE0yyvXm6AT0HB-xraef_BkYDzjjWUXlJ2G5FC9eB0edg-via7tRET8ySswS3YS_nR42DTZ_drBH9hBQ32Ihz8XNifO8tQARb-z7cybIBpTe5q_JOv9LCU9hYvOmVKUGKc75i7aLSZHAXDEdKX88VqZB6PW49EGeyMCE1yNu0qiCB722eYu-Dd_zxeLo92B7XtxYMeloj-0NUN9PIU3FhjPQC8rX_2WxMfUjprFti-brI618blZKvlonwGX4BoDeia2Bk1RV1UetBGkSIcp9RzoaB3izpVdPMxtmg39Hn6OkfvAwjNeSFW9ifZ6Mz4X_SoJSvi0s4NxLAkQIuKzPm2l6HISxNm5DBqPynqzwVj6TDFhRp_quFQjzLTD4mmdbXxANIJna3_FXGKdLWYUi09NC1KSwJQfwuFvOo3mNSQOrSl8b3D4u_r-QPHy45SF5b-b80S7-HJGUfkl2s45p2m38gFV6Xbq4IUQgv2sfy5jk0UoXP5FLespeY33-ALyj6ySjvPLSpZqzskCfh0lT_7uLoJYYmsTD6KyQGDL22pdYLwfYkMTG2_1vT9DuHhHFrfmD0pYvt_CNPgNDMd964rg9VFipfcuMBn1PNt9Qbodh7ecFD8vV8yVIi_gFAAdnGsKNOcLXd9Nu0ah0=w677-h902-s-no?authuser=0

AJFCJaUTdxqyn2ms6e-FyZcRkNPYWRCzSfDHyOl60xQnnhuBNtIzJOropkIH6NGLrjOHH1DnIQeGQhyw6i293Db-WFIa2KVRsWIohC8Uh6uA-VMVeMtalQ3Ygk3jWvS0txkAuxDA5rnVioxXjh-16Qzb0CwgOH1nJZgbD_k3LY-Q7uhnwIGg9nkFlx2Xe1R5I6bxIQK67A7d75XWYbdvoePI7lypOAzckgLLXN7hT42kwmOYkBVwi9ahgc2CskT3QWbKinxCREfd5QTsRxZjSa_MHnxancXgkogcmX8NiQLJ3Klz0Jluat_gn2nL9UjfA5MOln2zTKTZaA6sQog1_4OO5xLX824UwIgbscDmj2wIZY2fPldQ1L33bkRJCFi28ZzzS-Mwh2H4tfz9wmOywF3ibbpQYTxaLCWlr7ql04d6rF1UfyrMjbMn9nUiGGsGJxWJeJSTskl04-3CB6yojpnMDWmrc-0_ZELdXs9gBP-oDqU8E9pDq4p-YUvFCDl6L_5nkkdX8qBaltg6idwBubwVhpl1HbN0rz3AohtNykLZdni4xjYTe7eGCE5jPj_Hg6p7prGHZicxGGZBkEIzZXk0SHJF_TaAkeHBslXIU58lhRNT_Mh42kmz99ShbeJ24QYD-ZrkZ8Dgn1CIEZw3-CbyVJyPZfvpjNXhE0U70hZhnPLNMVKnHrNdaQ_dCAahPvAELNXM1LgcCoXOCRnkYUDkePr5U9XlmuvNYHMJKS9LKx7EUK1D9Jc9PIZ-EG3QeiiTNTrcKVCfGGNTxtYHrL5mk2n1qLRRmPYKfsYAYEpaQLCKDa9KH0Z8jsWt29N-03IqXiQJlB0yRGtneifzpkB1NYXp4FekTBakKyST7F88RoU1x4VEGNfqi2eJXJ_muyCGkB0H0yIfUBHA92UH8d_b-aM=w677-h902-s-no?authuser=0

Another idea on my todo list too - for some reason i cant see your images though?

(Please share thingiverse link too 🙏)

19 hours ago, bleedToWin said:

If you figure out how to get a good looking result (paramount since this is 100% a vanity "upgrade")  either with your own print or professional prints of your prototype then you've got a customer in me and presumably many others!

This YouTuber speaks about swapping the standard propel stem for a defy stem.

Not only is it aesthetically better looking, but the benefit of a standard bar clamp opens you up to way more options than the proprietary aero bar that giant provides (thinking about aero bar extensions for triathletes too)

1 hour ago, Kom said:

⚠️ Warning ⚠️ - Lengthy Opinion in response to your helpful recommendation 😁 : -->

When it comes to finishing, im not sure sanding, spraying, polishing is my strength - ive tried but i always end up with something i just dont like. Call it OCD.

Occasionally i print something that looks OEM, like these sleeves i printed for my car's vent controls. Straight off the print bed, literally looks like it was made for the car, and in this case the contours from the print actually look intentional.

Given the position of this stem cover, staring at it while riding my matt black propel, with even the slightest blemish, would just not work for me.

My initial learnings from 3D printing are that its no doubt a must have tool in everyones homes, ive already redeemed my outlay on useful prints within a month of ownership, but there are limitations on the amount of time you are willing to spend on designs and finishing products, vs. going out and just buying the equivalent (if it exists 😜).

discovery controls.png

You should enable ironing it will assist in the finish of the top surfaces 

2 hours ago, Kom said:

This YouTuber speaks about swapping the standard propel stem for a defy stem.

Not only is it aesthetically better looking, but the benefit of a standard bar clamp opens you up to way more options than the proprietary aero bar that giant provides (thinking about aero bar extensions for triathletes too)

Having already swapped out my stem to get more length and upgrading to 40cm carbon bar on my bike that came with a 44cm alloy fitted, I'm too far down the road to consider a different stem. I've considered if the Defy stem cover would be compatible with the Propel stem, but also impossible to source.