Amateur 3D Printing

Schmorglebot

49 minutes ago, Dexter-morgan said:

WOW!, that is super cool, how much would you ask for something like that, its a great gift idea.

Edit: wrong quote 😁

Edited by MongooseMan

• Replies 256
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

41 minutes ago, splat said:

Is there anyone who could do this for me ?
Happy to pay, of course.
Cheers

Depending on the weight of the actual thing being mounted, I have my doubts on the strength of that part with the layers printed like that.  I would personally opt to rather have that printed on its side. 

Any hard knock (hitting a pothole or curb) could easily break those 3 ridges on those adhesion layers.  Printing it on its side will make is a "continuous structure" and the layers will be in the direction of the fastening bolt of the mounted counter part.  Might cost printing with supports and post print clean up and some imperfection on the bottom but I would personally take functional strength over looking pretty any day of the week.

Loosing a gopro because that broke is not going to go down well and I doubt the person that printed it will replace your gopro because their part failed.

Just my 2c

1 hour ago, -cK- said:

Any hard knock (hitting a pothole or curb) could easily break those 3 ridges on those adhesion layers.  Printing it on its side will make is a "continuous structure" and the layers will be in the direction of the fastening bolt of the mounted counter part.  Might cost printing with supports and post print clean up and some imperfection on the bottom but I would personally take functional strength over looking pretty any day of the week.

Ive got around 100hrs on my gravel bike with a similar print for my varia and honestly dont notice any signs of fatigue/de lamination etc

@MongooseMan used PETG, i used PLA with 100% infill, so im probably more likely to test this design in terms of your concerns raised.

Worth noting (IMO) that understanding how your slicing software works is as important or even more than the orientation of the print that you suggest.

12 hours ago, Dexter-morgan said:

WOW!, that is super cool, how much would you ask for something like that, its a great gift idea.

Busy investigating this.

• 2 weeks later...

Long shot, but has anyone tried 3d printing those Specialized aerofly cable covers by any chance ? I broke one and it fell off on the road and it looks impossible to buy them locally 😢

On 1/26/2024 at 11:26 AM, -cK- said:

Depending on the weight of the actual thing being mounted, I have my doubts on the strength of that part with the layers printed like that.  I would personally opt to rather have that printed on its side. 

Loosing a gopro because that broke is not going to go down well and I doubt the person that printed it will replace your gopro because their part failed.

Just my 2c

Bontrager Flare RT rear light with a GoPro mount/adaptor
Not at all heavy

Bontrager Flare RT Rear Bike Light

Bontrager Blendr Universal Light Mount

Edited by splat

36 minutes ago, splat said:

Bontrager Flare RT rear light with a GoPro mount/adaptor
Not at all heavy

Bontrager Flare RT Rear Bike Light

Bontrager Blendr Universal Light Mount

Do you still need this? And would you be happy with white? It’s the filament I have atm 

3 minutes ago, Jono said:

Do you still need this? And would you be happy with white? It’s the filament I have atm 

Yes please.
Keen to give it a go.
I will DM you

• 2 weeks later...
2 hours ago, Kom said:

https://www.canyon.com/en-gb/gear/accessories/bike-tech/cockpit-and-handlebar-mounts/forward-am-i-canyon-3d-print-mount/9102036.html

Interesting that Canyon are selling 3D printed computer mounts now too ...

Someone has already published this on Thingiverse for anyone wanting to try it out/remix for their own purposes.

I can vouch that this design is extremly strong (even in PLA).

That looks like the sensible version of Silca's computer mount

3d printed titanium garmin mount

4 minutes ago, NotSoBigBen said:

What are they/do they do?

One at each foot of an indoor trainer.

It provides a bit of flex, for a more natural feel on the trainer.

Apparently the softer tennis balls as used by younger kids works better.