Cradle Incident: Know this cyclist?

Mojoman

I must say it is quite appropriate that this neanderthal like behaviour is taking place in the Cradle. Mrs. Ples would have been so proud. 

• Replies 423
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Could someone point me to the right place where it says that the yellow line/lane in the cradle is a dedicated cycle lane and that cyclist must stick to cycling in it?

My understanding on a national road the yellow line is actually used for emergency vehicles?

And that over the years cyclist have taken this area over as a cycle lane, but as cyclist we actually have a right to cycle on the road?  And when someone says that we must stick to this cycle lane, they are actually incorrect with regard to their interpretation/assumption.

Hence my question, where is this written in law?

I looked this morning, but ran out of time. But I previously recollect a differentiation between a solid yellow lane - an emergency lane - and a broken yellow lane - a designated cycle lane. But some Road Traffic Act citations would help all concerned.....

The problem with this whole thing is that all cyclists who ride the cradle and Hout Bay are now considered raving sociopaths as well as people who have a complete disregard for traffic laws. And based on a LOT of the behavior I've seen with my own eyes and the pics on that Facebook post and the events of this and events of this past weekend that's not far from the truth.

I really think we as cyclists need to take a looong hard look in the mirror and change our behavior out on the road. If you slide through that red traffic light coz you don't want to unclip and you can see there are no cars coming. You are reinforcing the hatred of us coz guaranteed the motorist at the traffic light is rolling his eyes and using the word "cyclists"

I disagree in the sense that not only the cyclists need to look in the mirror.  All road users need to look in the mirror.  It just so easy to vent our anger the cyclists.  If everybody would apply the law (see my next response on shapers post) and respect one another on the road you would not have these problems.

Could someone point me to the right place where it says that the yellow line/lane in the cradle is a dedicated cycle lane and that cyclist must stick to cycling in it?

My understanding on a national road the yellow line is actually used for emergency vehicles?

And that over the years cyclist have taken this area over as a cycle lane, but as cyclist we actually have a right to cycle on the road?  And when someone says that we must stick to this cycle lane, they are actually incorrect with regard to their interpretation/assumption.

One of the biggest problems wrt cyclists on the road is that the Road Traffic act is as old as some of the fossils found in the Cradle.  It needs to be relooked at and be much more specific on various issues.  Until then I think you have a better chance of striking a peace deal in the middle east rather than getting motorists and cyclists to live in harmony in SA

Just for the record, and for the attention of the Facebook Lynch mob who have their wires crossed...

This is Dipslick, the jolly gent third from the right. He is not the oaf from the Cradle  :thumbup:

Jiss there is a few okes on this pic that I would love to moer.

Except Dipsy, I love Dipsy long time.

The oke on the far left even fell asleep during the pic.

As far as I know, these signs make it a cycle lane: https://www.google.co.za/maps/@-25.9369742,27.8815925,3a,75y,355.93h,66.98t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sjhlj8h8mZWCOMhKDzEjCEQ!2e0!7i13312!8i6656?hl=en

post-41865-0-00901600-1474968240_thumb.png

And from the traffic act:

311. Riding on pedal cycles

(7) Whenever  a  portion  of  a  public  road  has  been  set  aside  for  us e  by  persons  riding  pedal  cycles,  no  person shall ride a pedal cycle on any other portion of such road.

The law is not on our side :thumbdown:

Thanks for the clarification... and agree with you!!

Must admit, I have not noticed these signs in the cradle... will have a more observant look this weekend

The google street view is quite cool  :thumbup:

This seems fair but surely it should also incumbent on the authorities to ensure that the cycle lanes are in a good state of repair and free of debris?

I disagree in the sense that not only the cyclists need to look in the mirror. All road users need to look in the mirror. It just so easy to vent our anger the cyclists. If everybody would apply the law (see my next response on shapers post) and respect one another on the road you would not have these problems.

I think it's safe to say that when it comes to most hated group of road users we are right up there with Taxis.

If we want other road users perceptions of is to change we need to change our behavior. Pointing out someone else's faults is rarely the fix for our own faults.

Right now I'm terrified that some nutcase is going to clip my bars with his side mirror this coming weekend coz an elderly lady was supposedly pepper sprayed by a cyclist coz she hooted at him.

You mean these signs posted all over the cradle?

post-42431-0-62232000-1474968843_thumb.png

I think it's safe to say that when it comes to most hated group of road users we are right up there with Taxis.

If we want other road users perceptions of is to change we need to change our behavior. Pointing out someone else's faults is rarely the fix for our own faults.

Agree.  And it is because of this hate it does not matter if you apply the law or not.  It will not change.  You will still be an inconvenience on the road as the motorist needs to slow down and wait to pass you at some point which does not fit in their idea of how life should be.  There is big group of motorists who are of the opinion that cyclists should not be on the road at all, irrespective of what is stated in the Road Traffic Act.

If there was a prize for the person who understands the issue the most, this post would win it!

Agree. And it is because of this hate it does not matter if you apply the law or not. It will not change. You will still be an inconvenience on the road as the motorist needs to slow down and wait to pass you at some point which does not fit in their idea of how life should be. There is big group of motorists who are of the opinion that cyclists should not be on the road at all, irrespective of what is stated in the Road Traffic Act.

Well exactly, quoting the law will not change the perception of cyclists.

Changing our behavior will!

My hope from this, except the wish for world peace and love, is that we recognize that a misguided act from one or a few people from a 'group' does not necessarily reflect on the attitude of the whole 'group'. We rarely talk about the majority doing and trying to do the right thing so keep that in mind. Thanks for your time. Lots of love, the dude

Archived