Cycling South Africa - kudos for great benefits

carbon29er

I've been meaning to give some praise and thanks to Cycling South Africa for a while and have finally got round to doing it.

As a CA and a PPA ExCo member I always though CSA were a greedy and wasting money on travel and entertainment so never renewed my membership when it lapsed a few years ago.

I elected to ride the 99er this year, which was a CSA sanctioned event, and I was presented with a choice of a day licence at R35 or an annual membership of CSA at R120 I think.  I had seen a few tweets and articles on what CSA was doing for members and I thought I would support them.

I chose the membership. And it was without a doubt the best financial decision I have made recently.

I had a really nasty crash and shattered my shoulder. Badly.

CSA has an automatic insurance policy for medical expenses up to R20,000 if you are injured, get this, riding your bicycle. Not even racing or training. Just riding. Can you believe it?

Well, I phoned CSA, they put me in touch with Hollard. I filled in a form and got my orthopaedic surgeon to fill in a form.  I sent the surgeon's quote with the 2 forms to Hollard.

3 days later R20,000 was deposited into my bank account to cover me for medical expenses not paid by my medical aid.

I've said if you ride your bike without a rear light you are an idiot. Or if you believe guys win a Grand Tour without doping you are an idiot.

Reality is, if you ride a bike and don't belong to CSA then you really ARE and idiot. R120 for a year with real benefits. Compared to PPA membership and what you get there it's a no brainer.

Great post, thanks carbon. I have heard about the insurance, but haven't heard of anyone actually using it, including me. I wonder what the prescription period is. Have a few small bills from 2014 after an accident.

I have another take on this. My medical aid covers all my expenses. That means the insurance that is forced on me by CSA is worth nothing. I get nothing for my R120.

I would have less of a problem is that insurance was optional, but they hiked up the cost of the licence fee to cover the insurance and force you to take it.

I have another take on this. My medical aid covers all my expenses. That means the insurance that is forced on me by CSA is worth nothing. I get nothing for my R120.

I would have less of a problem is that insurance was optional, but they hiked up the cost of the licence fee to cover the insurance and force you to take it.

From what I understand they would pay out regardless of whether your medical aid already paid, so you would end up with your bills settled by your MA plus a cash payout to the same value.

Nothing for your R120? You are wrong. Medical Aid rarely covers every expense from an accident AND the CSA policy pays out regardless of medical aid cover or not.  There is always an exclusion for some items when hospitals, doctors, radiologists, pathologists and physiotherapists are involved.

The only way the licence fee is worth nothing is if you do not enter any sanctioned race and have no risk of falling if you ride a bike.

But then again what would the hub be if there was no negative reaction to something someone else has found to be of great benefit.

So for the price of 2 inner tubes or there about - you would ditch added insurance that's pays out regardless, given the way RSA drive and the condition of our road. I am surprised CSA was able to organize this type of ANNUL premium. Some people just can't be help.

I'm always quick to moan about the R30 day license thet we are charged in small local events (because I'm not a regular racer, I'm not a member), but this could change things.

Does anyone know if it cover day license holders? And does it only cover you if you are part of a CSA event? Or any riding, anywhere?

Thanks

So wish that K2C was CSA sanctioned. Would appreciated assistance with my medical expenses after getting badly injured from a crash during this year's race.

So wish that K2C was CSA sanctioned. Would appreciated assistance with my medical expenses after getting badly injured from a crash during this year's race.

If you have a CSA membership, the insurance should cover it whether k2c was sanctioned or not

From what I understand they would pay out regardless of whether your medical aid already paid, so you would end up with your bills settled by your MA plus a cash payout to the same value.

If this is true then I lost out last year when I crashed and broke a collarbone...

Will mail them on Monday and see if they able to cover my medical expenses from my crash. If I get the same result as carbon, I will cook and eat a humble pie. (I am joking, no pie for me, training for DC :) )