Ironman 70.3 Durban

ScottCM

So for the experienced guys out there, what is the awards ceremony like? 

My wife is no longer going with to Durbaz, and being fathers day i thought maybe take the old man, but seen as i have no aspirations for slots or anything should i rather take him out for supper with my mom and my kids?

If you are with mates then the awards dinner is good to go for a free average at best dinner.  If I were you spend the time with the family-you are not missing much at the awards dinner in any case.

• Replies 635
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

How is this course? I was planning on doing my first 70.3 in January, but I think I could potentially be ready for this if I don't injure myself. 

Just pull the trigger. From what everyone says, its the best place to start off with a 70.3 

Out of all the IM events in SA, its the worst. The swim if there is one doesn't factor much for me but the bike is a complete draft fest and the run is spent dodging beach goers and other tourists that don't even know that there's an event on.

So having said that,I wasn't going to do it but I had to pull out of the EL race after the bike due to a foot injury so am thinking of it now. Otherwise, who ever is doing the full, see you on the beach 2nd April.

Is the swim a mass start (are there even any left)? Is drafting an issue due to non-enforcement, or too many people on the course? 

Sorry, newbie questions, but trying to understand the issues. 

Edited by EmJayZA

If you are with mates then the awards dinner is good to go for a free average at best dinner.  If I were you spend the time with the family-you are not missing much at the awards dinner in any case.

I enjoy the awards evening, its a lekker wind down of the day and nice to see people recognized for achievements. Chow is fairly good too imho.

The awards goes by fairly quickly, prolly 90 minutes tops.

I make a point of always going, its part of the IM experience.

Does anyone know when entries for East London open? Sorry I know it is off topic. Want to do East London as my first and then Durban.

Out of all the IM events in SA, its the worst. The swim if there is one doesn't factor much for me but the bike is a complete draft fest and the run is spent dodging beach goers and other tourists that don't even know that there's an event on.

So having said that,I wasn't going to do it but I had to pull out of the EL race after the bike due to a foot injury so am thinking of it now. Otherwise, who ever is doing the full, see you on the beach 2nd April.

Agreed with the bike drafting. I couldn't believe what I saw last year.

Saying that I'm also just jealous because I didn't find my own peleton..

Is the swim a mass start (are there even any left)? Is drafting an issue due to non-enforcement, or too many people on the course? 

Sorry, newbie questions, but trying to understand the issues. 

Bike drafting was really a problem because the swim got cancelled. So firstly the bike start was utter chaos, secondly it was basically a mass start as well.

Swim is normally a self seeding situation, with the batches let off in smaller groups of 10ish people.

Bike drafting was really a problem because the swim got cancelled. So firstly the bike start was utter chaos, secondly it was basically a mass start as well.

Swim is normally a self seeding situation, with the batches let off in smaller groups of 10ish people.

Ah - thanks. Makes sense now. 

Still deciding, will see how I feel after Ironman.... having done 2 Durbs already am not overly excited about it... but might be different now they moving the swim leg down to Ushaka which should make the bike leg better.

Chatted to my coach, and she is over the moon for me. Well - guess that's that then. See you there  :clap:

And my bank balance cries just a little more... 

Holy Cr#p the payments for these events are the WORST!!!

Look I know the organisation and wara wara is great

But its a lot of money to just splash on a few looong hours of suffering!!!

Still deciding, will see how I feel after Ironman.... having done 2 Durbs already am not overly excited about it... but might be different now they moving the swim leg down to Ushaka which should make the bike leg better.

Has the swim definitely been moved to U Shaka?

Holy Cr#p the payments for these events are the WORST!!!

Look I know the organisation and wara wara is great

But its a lot of money to just splash on a few looong hours of suffering!!!

Yes! And your partner does this with you! So that's double pain. 

I am still trying to figure out how to tell hubs I need to drop another R3k (plus change) on registration fees (after the new bike, and all the other goodies)... 

Yes! And your partner does this with you! So that's double pain. 

I am still trying to figure out how to tell hubs I need to drop another R3k (plus change) on registration fees (after the new bike, and all the other goodies)... 

Women have wily ways of convincing their partners to the merits of any spend.... :devil:   use them