Absa Cape Epic 2017

Acerunner

I agree with Dick.

We did it this year on fresh bikes. The only problem we had was a dented back rim on stage 4. Also note the guys that wash your bike after as part of the epic can cause serious k@k... I know of many guys including myself that had forks seized up (mine was 1 month old) because of waterjets going into the seals. Mine happened on stage 2. Had to come down ou wa pad in Tulbagh with a solid fork. Luckily Rock Shox were at hand to service it. Otherwise no problems.

That is the way to do it.

All the big boys are there in case something major goes wrong, and besides that even if you have a "super care package" the bike shops are there typically to do wash lube and cables, maybe a chain and a bearing there and there. They do not have time for more than that.

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

If your bike is services and all ware parts replaced before the start you will be fine. for the rest (broken chain collapsed fork etc.) use the the service at the epic. Done 3 and wasted money on the 1st one doing the service route.

Thanks.  What 'general' service is available at the Epic? I was not aware of any pay-as-you-go type service at Epic? I thought it was either 'Package' or 'DIY'?

[At Transalp sponsors & partners offer a Technal Service area at stafe finish.]

Thanks.  What 'general' service is available at the Epic? I was not aware of any pay-as-you-go type service at Epic? I thought it was either 'Package' or 'DIY'?

[At Transalp sponsors & partners offer a Technal Service area at stafe finish.]

Someone might be nice and help you out - but it's not standard... if the mechs are busy after a muddy day I doubt they will have time to help.

Someone might be nice and help you out - but it's not standard... if the mechs are busy after a muddy day I doubt they will have time to help.

Ok, so other than relying on favours, there is no open-access available service stands.

[i.e. At Transalp Shimano offer a service stand for anyone to queue and use for resolving of issues; Scott offer a free service for anyone riding a Scott bikes]

Best advice I can give is:

Never ever be cocky on a stage race.

Don't take it too seriously. It's just a bike ride. You'll need to go back to your family and friends afterwards. Don't let life go on without you. Stay present.

Epic is probably the only race where you'll need a massage. Book them.

Learn to service your bike and do field repairs. Walking to the nearest tech zone because you don't know how to swap a derailleur hanger and fix gears is lame. Learn to plug a tyre.

Ride thick rubber with decent sidewalls and enough sealant. Punctures are lame and can be avoided.

Be honest with each other. Put your pride away. Epic has enough over inflated egos, don't add yours.

Learn to read your partner's body language

Learn how to adapt to each other's strengths and weaknesses.

Learn how to manage the pace if your partner is taking shots.

Be accountable to each other in training.

Your wallet can't pedal the bike for you. You don't need a Sworks or a lefty. People ride it on hardtails and v brakes. And on singlespeeds.

If you can't handle steep descents, switchbacks or bridges, go for a skills clinic or three. It's not a gravel road race anymore. There will be singletracks, there will be rocks. Remember, it's a bicycle,not a pram. Your legs can't do the talking when you are pushing your bike.

There will be sections where everyone is pushing, accept it. Also remember that this is cramp central. While training, go find a steep climb and push your bike up there with tired legs.

Wear sunscreen and chamois cream. Don't mix then up.

Very wise words... fully agree with all above

Ok, so other than relying on favours, there is no open-access available service stands.

[i.e. At Transalp Shimano offer a service stand for anyone to queue and use for resolving of issues; Scott offer a free service for anyone riding a Scott bikes]

There are mid stage service stops on a first come first serve basis (basically in case of emergency) and you should carry a credit card for those in the event you need parts - but I have never seen an on demand service - that said, most of the major manufacturers will be there for warrantee backup etc.

Also - I haven't looked too hard because I am not a fan of post ride self service, so always go with a service contract.

What kind of time per week are guys putting in at this stage? And through Nov/Dec?

I've averaged around 6 hours/week since August with a few 10/12 hours weeks from Oct.

That usually includes 2 cadence sessions a week, so some good quality stuff in there.

Rode to the 947 MTB race and back yesterday which gave me total 95km and 4.5hrs. 40km easy on road.

The thought of another couple hours in the bum and legs (and sun) day in day out is very scary. 

How much more should I be doing now?

What kind of time per week are guys putting in at this stage? And through Nov/Dec?

I've averaged around 6 hours/week since August with a few 10/12 hours weeks from Oct.

That usually includes 2 cadence sessions a week, so some good quality stuff in there.

Rode to the 947 MTB race and back yesterday which gave me total 95km and 4.5hrs. 40km easy on road.

The thought of another couple hours in the bum and legs (and sun) day in day out is very scary. 

As long as you have a solid December, you should be fine, try getting 1200km's for DEC, no need to do that in a hurry, just get the KM's and Hours in, nurture your body in that time and dont get sick or injured, lots of quality work follows in January... Youll be more than fine..

As long as you have a solid December, you should be fine, try getting 1200km's for DEC, no need to do that in a hurry, just get the KM's and Hours in, nurture your body in that time and dont get sick or injured, lots of quality work follows in January... Youll be more than fine..

Haha hoping to do so, however have: my bachelors 10 dec, wedding 17th, family holiday thereafter until honeymoon from the 28th-10th Jan.

Going to be a serious test of ones discipline!!

Anyway, should make the 32t Vs 30t decision easier come race time  :wacko:

Haha hoping to do so, however have: my bachelors 10 dec, wedding 17th, family holiday thereafter until honeymoon from the 28th-10th Jan.

Going to be a serious test of ones discipline!!

Anyway, should make the 32t Vs 30t decision easier come race time  :wacko:

Also got married exactly 3 weeks after this years epic, my wife was so gatvol... almost didn't get married ..... :ph34r:  :oops:  good luck man, and dont be a droe drol at your bachelors, dont get a lot of those in life....

Hi gents,

Did any1 use this logo for their custom kit last year? Or only the rider badge, just trying to find out if we are allowed to use this?

Hi gents,

Did any1 use this logo for their custom kit last year? Or only the rider badge, just trying to find out if we are allowed to use this?

post-43907-0-98004300-1479186118.png

Hi gents,

As far as I read in the rules last year, only rider badge. Like your profile pic.

As far as I read in the rules last year, only rider badge. Like your profile pic.

Sort of know this, but the reason im asking is I saw a crap-load of guys with this badge on their custom kit at the epic this year, looks a lot better than the rider badge

Oh Daddy gonna HURT you!!!

Up your ride time during the week, do 1.5hr rides, VERY easy between cadence sessions.

Also ask some of the guys you ride with, they have a few epics under the belt between them. Sheriff would be the one for great advise. If you ask Flooders you won't see Sarie till the wedding day.

We could always ride Kaarkloof on the morning of the wedding.

And stop worrying you be all good, you in good hands.

32 Oval (would be my choice) or 30 Round, trust me I rode with one this year, 32 round would have killed my legs.