Absa Cape Epic 2017

Acerunner

Anyone else finding the live coverage less than average?

I feel like every tweet/post is scripted and feels like I am following a bunch of adverts with cycling in the background. 

Enjoyed their live tweeting much more in the past, this year its very much meh. 

Our Savage is coming in 5th currently in the mixed cat though :)

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Off topic but I caught up to a weary looking elder Savage 2 meters from the WACT finish line - I could have sprinted over the line to pip him out of some triple digit place (maybe I could have but maybe I would have thrown an embolism had I tried) but I said morning Mr Savage instead and was rewarded with a weary WTF look.

I feel like every tweet/post is scripted and feels like I am following a bunch of adverts with cycling in the background. 

"Watch" on the website. I'm enjoying the live updates there.

if you look at santos tour down under, its very much the same, the marketing propaganda. 

Just had a chat with a guy who said that Joel indeed went off the drop off at speed instead of rolling it, landed on his front wheel and then ploughed into the ground. From 3m,that will do it.

Yeah. If you go off it at speed you NEED to know how to do a drop properly, and be prepared to land a 3m drop to flat. And it goes straight into a berm. And the landing area - not that there's much of a landing - was probably SUPER blown out due to all the brakes being held and locked down there. 

Not a lot of people that who actually treat it like a drop, though I ride with a few who do. Most roll it. I am most certainly in the "roll it" category. 

An example of what you get on the live updates ...

09:33

The top men kicking up dust

51c072b8-d83a-46c8-af72-bd9193389581.jpg

09:32

The front group now Bulls, Cannondale, Investec Songo Specialized, Centurion Vaude, Topeak Ergon and Scott. They are close to the second water point at 57km

09:29

It's sorted but Knox and Hector Paez are having to chase back to the front group

09:28

Max Knox has a chain issue. Where is his back up team!?

09:28

After the big descent off the mountain above Stanford the route turns right towards Hermanus, finishing with a fun spin along the town's urban assault mountain biking section

09:17

It's a nice, clear day so the views from the top down over Stanford and the sea in the distance will be spectacular. Not that the top guys will be concerned with the vistas

09:17

Not long before the leaders will get to the second water point just before the big climb over the Klein River Mountains

Yeah. If you go off it at speed you NEED to know how to do a drop properly, and be prepared to land a 3m drop to flat. And it goes straight into a berm. And the landing area - not that there's much of a landing - was probably SUPER blown out due to all the brakes being held and locked down there.

Not a lot of people that I know who actually treat it like a drop. Most roll it. I am most certainly in the "roll it" category.

It's a 'dropping in' kinda drop

Air there big no-no ????

Thats nice for advertisers, but unlike every other cycling event, its not possible to debate, discuss and interact with a live update on a website. 

Suggestions:

Get Olly Munnik on the job

Get the intermediate timing sorted out (only started working after WP2)

Live Tracking - ask the Munga crew

If you launch an App maybe test it first

sound not working for live streaming

I am having no issues with the streaming.

How tough is that climb yoh

Suggestions:

Get Olly Munnik on the job

Get the intermediate timing sorted out (only started working after WP2)

Live Tracking - ask the Munga crew

If you launch an App maybe test it first

Agreed, I much preferred the previous years where I just had to follow you on twitter :P

I am having no issues with the streaming.

How tough is that climb yoh

My work blocks streaming :/ But not twitter :P

Sauser is setting the pace up the climb..Nino right on his wheel.. no place to overtake

Archived