Stem length

RobertWhitehead

How tall are you. And no. A large anthem has a top tube 0.8" longer than a medium. That's 20mm.

Miles I am 1.78m tall.

Thanks

Johan

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Miles I am 1.78m tall.

Thanks

Johan

Okay. Then in my opinion you should be on a large frame. This is especially evident by you feeling cramped with a 95mm Stem.

It irks me as I asked that question a few times before I decided on the size.

No Sir a large is going to be to big. A medium is the right size. The tables confirm that you are well within the medium range ito your height.

So I cannot change the past. How do I improve the future as I cannot buy a new bike?

Thanks for the advice so far.

Johan

I am the same height as you, and now way I can fit a medium.

My suggestion would be to tweak everything a bit, without making massive changes to any single one.

- seatback seatpost. Play around with seat position (not ideal, but if its not massive changes it should not be too bad for the knees)

- slightly longer bars

- stem? (Within reason)

No Sir a large is going to be to big. A medium is the right size. The tables confirm that you are well within the medium range ito your height.

So I cannot change the past. How do I improve the future as I cannot buy a new bike?

Johan

Set back sat post , 10mm/20mm longer stem and wider bars 

get a 780 and put your grips at effectively 740/760 and feel where you're comfortable , then cut the bar 

Johan

In order of preference:

New frame

Wider bars

Setback post

Longer stem.

Making any changes to the setup will be trying to force a change and will result in a "proper" fit, but with a bad base. Handling will be immensely compromised when it gets fast and / or steep and technical. You'll feel as if you're constantly trying not to go over the bars.

My primary recommendation would be to sell your frame and get one that is sized correctly for you. That will result in the best outcome and will not be nearly as drastic as getting a whole new bike. You should also be able to recover most if not all your capital outlay if you buy a 2nd hand frame.

Beware : not all bike sizings are the same. What I'd do is get a bike fit, get your ideal top tube AND stem measurement, then add the 2 together to get your ideal seatpost to bar length. Then subtract 55mm from that and look for a bike with that length top tube.

Why 50mm? Cos that gives you a nice 20mm window either side to fine tune the stem length. I firmly believe in a stem length ranging from 30-70mm for pretty much every application.

This question is not about stem length but rather about should I sell my 29er for scrap. 

Answer: Yes.  The 26er is like your first love, your true love.  You wandered off the path and cheated on her.  But she has forgiven you.  Give up that horrible side-bike(29er) and be true again. 

If you however need that side-bike, use her only for commuting and family rides.

I would go for a proper set up. I'm not convinced a medium is too small for you. I'm 177cm and a medium trance is perfect, a large frame would be way too big for me. I reckon a proper set up, (stem and bars) would sort you out. What does the giant size chart say?

I would go for a proper set up. I'm not convinced a medium is too small for you. I'm 177cm and a medium trance is perfect, a large frame would be way too big for me. I reckon a proper set up, (stem and bars) would sort you out. What does the giant size chart say?

Medium trance is longer than the medium anthem. Maybe the OP has disproportionately long arms, which is why he's feeling cramped. And those 2cm really make a difference... (that's what she said...)

Wow. Thanks for all the comments.

According to the LBS and they were reading off the charts was that the medium is the right fit.

Replacing the bike or frame will have to be long term.

Maybe I am trying too hard to get to the same set up as on my roadbike. My old 26" also had handlebar extensions which brought it closer to the roadbike set up. It is however ancient and was never any good off road. It is a 90 or 91 model Hansom which had state of the art flexing handlebars. No suspension whatsoever.

I think what I will do for now is do a few races first and then decide. Everything on the bike is stock standard and in any event brand new.

I will also visit another LBS for advice. Also no point in making the bike close to a roadbike set up and it is a dog off road.

Thanks for all the advice.

Johan

Wow. Thanks for all the comments.

According to the LBS and they were reading off the charts was that the medium is the right fit.

Replacing the bike or frame will have to be long term.

Maybe I am trying too hard to get to the same set up as on my roadbike. My old 26" also had handlebar extensions which brought it closer to the roadbike set up. It is however ancient and was never any good off road. It is a 90 or 91 model Hansom which had state of the art flexing handlebars. No suspension whatsoever.

I think what I will do for now is do a few races first and then decide. Everything on the bike is stock standard and in any event brand new.

I will also visit another LBS for advice. Also no point in making the bike close to a roadbike set up and it is a dog off road.

Thanks for all the advice.

Johan

Grrrrrr... My pet hate. 

IMO the fit "charts" are still way off, based upon historic adaptation from road cycling fit characteristics, which are vastly different to MTB. I won't go into the reasons here, but they are many.

Also - our body compositions are vastly different to each other - that's why I suggest a range of stem lengths, so that you can adapt over 2 frame sizes given certain parameters, and rule out the inapplicable frame size based on either reach requirements, inseam length (important when considering a dropper post) and desired application and current weaknesses. 

Yes, at 178 you would be borderline medium / large on most frame charts. But a medium is not a medium is not a medium. It's a generic term based on seat tube length. Which is a totally random way of sizing an MTB, which is not nearly static when riding (unlike a roadbike)

An answer to yoiur desire to get it set up like your road bike... Yes and no. 

ITO Seating position - absolutely. That's a function of your biomechanical stature (hip position, hip rotation, leg length etc) and shouldn't change between your road and MTB. If you're seated, you want the same pedalling position across both. 

ITO bar position - it's slightly different. The wider bars will pull you further forward, which means that your bar to seat post length can be slightly shorter (shorter stem) which consequently means better handling at speed and more confidence in the rough stuff... In short, short stems rule. Long stems make you drool. 'Cos they pitch you over the bars and make you eat through a straw. 

So ja. Adapt, adopt, improve (yes, it's the Round Table motto, but it fits. Pinetown 10 member, here...) until you get it just right. It's not an exact science, but it has a few general parameters which can be tweaked according to your circumstances / measurements. 

But yes. If you're feeling cramped on a 740mm bar & 90mm stem then you are DEFINITELY on the wrong size frame. 

I think forget about the road bike fit and get a proper comfortable fit on the mtb. Road and mtb is different, on the road aero and power are important, but on the mountain handling and power are important considerations.

If you are going to ride mostly gravel roads and have no illusions about being a trail shredder, then a longer stem is not as bad as made out to be. Yes it will affect handling, but if you only ride singletrack say 12times a year then you can cope with diminished handling at the cost of a better fit for gravel roads.

• 1 year later...

Old thread be alive!

Friend bought a very very nice MTB second hand.

One size too big and he feels like he is "reaching" too much.

Stem length is 90mm with 700mm bar.

Should he go as short as a 35mm stem? Perhaps then just get a wider bar?

Mostly marathon racing and a bit of XCO

Old thread be alive!

Friend bought a very very nice MTB second hand.

One size too big and he feels like he is "reaching" too much.

Stem length is 90mm with 700mm bar.

Should he go as short as a 35mm stem? Perhaps then just get a wider bar?

Mostly marathon racing and a bit of XCO

Maybe the seat is too far back. Is it setback or inline?

I'd start with getting the position of the seat optimised before fiddling with the stem

Well if you get a wider bar (assume same back sweep) without a shorter stem the reach is going to be even worse. So yes, definitely get a shorter stem and get the widest bars you can find - cant go wrong with 780mm. Ride it for a couple of days on the full width and then decide if you want to cut it shorter. Chances are he'll keep it wide. 35mm stem is just fine, especially with a wide bar. I run 785 with a 60 stem, but thats only cause my giant limits me to use their own od2 stems and 60 is the shortest they make.

AFAIK - Saddle position is more important when relating to position over the BB and secondary to adjust reach.

I would change to shortest stem possible = far better control especially in corners + small improvement in reach.

Wider bare = increase in reach, so leave the bar at 700 and perhaps try a riser bar which will also improve his reach

Archived