36t narrow-wide chainring

rudi-h

So i've gone 1x11...  the SLX groupset came standard with a 32t chainring.  It's not too bad, but it means that I max out at ~32km/h with a comfortable cadence.  I live in the flatlands, hence I easily get to this speed on the tar sections especially if i have some wind from behind.

I have tried to order a larger chainring with CWC, but they only stock up to 34t.

What do you guys do that live in flatter areas with 1X11 setups?  Is there an availability issue with 36t and if so, where do you get them?  I'm quite fond of the narrow-wide chainrings because it just seems to be more durable.

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Order one form rapide  :thumbup:     * only if it will fit your crank i.e. 104 BCD

Other wise get to a shop that have a good stock of shimano.

But also try to spin more 32km/h is quite low for a 32 on a 11 , or do you just prefer grinding?

try Kalbo and Rapide.

Depending on your clearances the 36 on certain frames will rub against the chainstay

what's the ratio on the cassette?

on 1x10 i had 36T x 11-36 gear range was crap, also then rode 36T x 11-40 was also never comfortable, currently 34T x 10-42 and 32T x 11-42 no problems on flats or climbs...

can get to about 40km/hr high cadence with the 32T x 11-42

So i've gone 1x11... the SLX groupset came standard with a 32t chainring. It's not too bad, but it means that I max out at ~32km/h with a comfortable cadence. I live in the flatlands, hence I easily get to this speed on the tar sections especially if i have some wind from behind.

I have tried to order a larger chainring with CWC, but they only stock up to 34t.

What do you guys do that live in flatter areas with 1X11 setups? Is there an availability issue with 36t and if so, where do you get them? I'm quite fond of the narrow-wide chainrings because it just seems to be more durable.

Rudi

The new M7000 11 speed setup has a 96 bcd and the bolts are in a rectangular pattern on that bcd. You have to get rings that are made specifically for those Shimano cranks. Wolftooth makes them but I dont know who else. Shimano only lists up to a 34t 1x chainring. You could possibly use 36t or 38t 2x chainrings with spacers but they won't have the chain retention features of the 1x specific rings .

I got a 34t Wolftooth NW for my XT 1x11 setup from Evobikes and very happy with it.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Edited by JXV

I am running a 30 upfront with 11-42 and i comfortably get to 35km/h spinning in high 90s to low 100s, i dont mind that speed. But i almost never even go close to my 11T as if my nose is not pointing to the heaven i am freewheeling down the other side.

I have 32t-34t and 32t oval and bought all the rings (except for the 30T - rapide rings) from aliexpress. If you dont mind waiting you can pick them up for less than 300 randallas.

Just checked now and you can get it (due to the state capture crap) for a massive R165.45 per ring with mahala shipping.

Currently my orders take an average of 3-4weeks to arrive.

O i realized you probably have the 96bcd as prices above is for 104bcd so the 96 is ALOT more expensive and they retail at current market price for R185.70 per ring.

Edit: spelling like a diek

Edited by lerouc

Thanks for the replies.  Still I'm not getting anything bigger than 34t compatible with 96 BCD cranks  (not even wolftooth).  I'm just a bit surprised that the "new standard" doesn't offer much in terms of top end speed.

What chainrings do the pro's use when racing flatter races, do they go back to 2x setups?

Thanks for the replies.  Still I'm not getting anything bigger than 34t compatible with 96 BCD cranks  (not even wolftooth).  I'm just a bit surprised that the "new standard" doesn't offer much in terms of top end speed.

What chainrings do the pro's use when racing flatter races, do they go back to 2x setups?

guess you missed my post. goodluck

I am running a 30 upfront with 11-42 and i comfortably get to 35km/h spinning in high 90s to low 100s, i dont mind that speed. But i almost never even go close to my 11T as if my nose is not pointing to the heaven i am freewheeling down the other side.

I have 32t-34t and 32t oval and bought all the rings (except for the 30T - rapide rings) from aliexpress. If you dont mind waiting you can pick them up for less than 300 randallas.

Just checked now and you can get it (due to the state capture crap) for a massive R165.45 per ring with mahala shipping.

Currently my orders take an average of 3-4weeks to arrive.

O i realized you probably have the 96bcd as prices above is for 104bcd so the 96 is ALOT more expensive and they retail at current market price for R185.70 per ring.

Edit: spelling like a diek

Mind sharing the link?

• 3 years later...

Instead of starting a new frred, I'm just going to ask here on this old one...

Where can I find a 36T narrow-wide 96BCD chainring?

LBS don't have. All the online shops I can think of don't have, or are out of stock.

TIA!!

Instead of starting a new frred, I'm just going to ask here on this old one...

Where can I find a 36T narrow-wide 96BCD chainring?

LBS don't have. All the online shops I can think of don't have, or are out of stock.

TIA!!

https://www.superstarcomponents.com/en/raptor-chainring-94-and-96bcd-narrow-wide.htm

https://www.wolftoothcomponents.com/products/96-mm-bcd-chainrings-for-shimano-xt-m8000?variant=3910522565

https://absoluteblack.cc/oval-xt-m8000-96bcd-chainring.html

are these what you are looking for?