Totem bikes again :)

jlrscott

For school and back probably. Just make sure you tighten all the bolts etc as things tend to shift on those.

Else as 90% of people on here would recommend: save a little more and get a bargain 2nd hand hub-bike.

What size are you roughly? I'm sure you'll get some good suggestions.

I know looking from fitness/sport size this does not make sense to buy but:

1. Its 29" wheels and round

2. No front shock so don't have to worry about the "quality of the shock" :)

3. Its dirt cheap (and there lies the problem I suppose)

4. Don't know if they come in frame sizes, but a medium for the kids would work.

I had a garden engineer staying on my stand a few years ago, he use to cycle from Lyttelton to Moreletta everyday on a similar bike. About +-50km+ per day at least.

I suppose this is on the wrong forum :)

I would steer clear...especially if he/she is going to be using it on a daily basis...bought my 8 year old a Totem - all i could afford at the time, in 6 months the forks were bent, the brakes didn't work, the rims are buckled - and I have fixed these numerous times now...

That is just using it in our garden and up and down the road...

If it sounds really cheap then it is - strong light cheap - pick two...

Totem is Rubbish!

Just pick up the frame and you will feel that it is crap. 

Rather spend two or three thousand rands more and get a decent bike (reputable brand) with reliable brakes.

Regards

Mark

On the contrary, my buddy does the spruit every weekend with me. We do about 50km and he has a 29er Totem.hasn't washed the bike, grime all over. Only had 1 puncture and broke a chain link in the last 6 months.

Sent from my E6653 using Tapatalk

• 1 year later...

Folks across the street got their son a Totem for Xmas and he rode it once after getting it, then left it outside and the family packed up and went away to the sea for a few days.

My wife saw the bike outside and was worried it could get stolen. I told her not to worry, it's a crappy Makro bike, but she insisted we lock it until they get back. Now I have never looked at these up close but upon locking the bike I saw just how poorly it was put together. For one, just look at the excess length on those cables.

I guess you get what you pay for. https://www.makro.co.za/sports-and-outdoor/totem-/br-26-xc330-dual-suspension-mountain-bike-black/silver-338396EA

post-38519-0-54517300-1514365983_thumb.jpg

post-38519-0-01934400-1514366045_thumb.jpg

post-38519-0-25205700-1514366053_thumb.jpg

post-38519-0-90961200-1514366067_thumb.jpg

post-38519-0-07764000-1514366076_thumb.jpg

Folks across the street got their son a Totem for Xmas and he rode it once after getting it, then left it outside and the family packed up and went away to the sea for a few days.

My wife saw the bike outside and was worried it could get stolen. I told her not to worry, it's a crappy Makro bike, but she insisted we lock it until they get back. Now I have never looked at these up close but upon locking the bike I saw just how poorly it was put together. For one, just look at the excess length on those cables.

I guess you get what you pay for. https://www.makro.co.za/sports-and-outdoor/totem-/br-26-xc330-dual-suspension-mountain-bike-black/silver-338396EA

attachicon.gifIMG_20171226_155638.jpg

attachicon.gifIMG_20171226_155651.jpg

attachicon.gifIMG_20171226_155747_cr.jpg

attachicon.gifIMG_20171226_155748.jpg

attachicon.gifIMG_20171226_155759.jpg

I scheme that laaitie is going to be pissed at you... he possibly just maybe left that bike outside on purpose  :whistling:  ;)

I scheme that laaitie is going to be pissed at you... he possibly just maybe left that bike outside on purpose  :whistling:  ;)

Because all his mates got Raleighs....

Quite tempted to get one and ride some of the trails I regularly do on my 2nd hand Silverback.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

Quite tempted to get one and ride some of the trails I regularly do on my 2nd hand Silverback.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

Pls get one and give us a long term review even if the bike dies after a month or a few years....

Archived