The Munga - The Toughest Race On Earth

nathrix

Now you know it's stupid tough out there... she's as tough as they come. Being 55kg's though in that wind is not fun though I reckon

Had the privilege to do a 480km charity ride with her earlier this year. That girl is as tough as nails, if she pulled out the conditions must be terrible! Gutted to hear this  :(

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I haven't been following the race that actively, well the build-up of it. But seems like a beast of a ride and moerse respect for these guys.

I just wondered, what happened to the $1m prize purse? See its now R35k for the winner! Reckon there is plenty easier ways to make R35k, these guys will have close to R35k of bike expenses post this race. 

Anyone knowing  Vaughn Roux? (for us people who don't know everyone)

Some more  info  on these "ysters" will be nice

I googled and can only find a Plastic Surgeon from Durbanville CT that cycles. 

Is it him? 

I haven't been following the race that actively, well the build-up of it. But seems like a beast of a ride and moerse respect for these guys.

I just wondered, what happened to the $1m prize purse? See its now R35k for the winner! Reckon there is plenty easier ways to make R35k, these guys will have close to R35k of bike expenses post this race.

If I even contemplated this race prize money would be the last thing on my mind...

Some of these guys are unbelievable! I see that the Munga last year was Freek van Tonder's first MTB race.

Go BIG :eek:

Fitting name.

Looks like he is pulling ahead of the other 3 he was riding with. Vaughn resting at RV2 i think...

For sure, my mouth was bone dry after 10mins into the wind and the water in my bottle quickly heated up...can't imagine how it feels slogging into it for hours on end.

My training ride yesterday was just under 2 hours - average 31 degrees... 1.5l during the ride... and about another liter afterwards...  8 hours of that will be a bear....

I certainly hope none of the entrants are using NSAIDS - that is going to place kidneys at risk in a big way - especially when added to some dehydration.

Die Vrystaat is n harde plek!

I heard that's where Die Muishond goes for his training camps ????

Tim Brink had withdrawn from the race

Jip. Same as last year. Sunstroke and heat exhaustion. Let see if next year is third time lucky.

Just received news Anton fell 30 kms into the race and fractured bones in his foot, can't pedal anymore and is on his way to Vanderkloof dam in the ambulance. Picking him up in the morning.

Oh no so sorry to hear that - after all the preparation! Hopefully there will be a next year ...

Archived