Are 26er's still competitive?

Jameslaskey

I remember passing quite a few 29er's on my old 26er on the trails, so don't worry too much about it. Of course there are advantages of riding a 29er, but where you'll be able to roll over rocks and roots a lot easier on a 29er, I found a 26er was actually more nimble than a 29er, especially on switchbacks and through single track in a forest. Both have their pluses and minuses, but I wouldn't count out a 26er all together.

All that is purely down to geometry. Not wheelsize... 

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

No, with that being said, you can argue that bigger is better? So 27.5 is faster than 26, and 29 faster than 27.7?

I can be on that bike Stefan Sahm rode the EPIC on and Nino on a 26inch and I will still loose :( .

Wheel size really makes no difference if you are fit enough. I've been with a coach since the beginning of the year and my average speed has improved quite a bit, but I did realise during the Durbie Dash 90 km recently that I still have a long way to go. I was riding my road bike as hard as I could along a very slight uphill section of the R312 when some guy came past me with what looked like no effort on an old 26" MTB with slicks on. He disappeared into the distance and I never saw him again.

Probably CarbonBoy - he has been known to do that..... knobblies and all in the licensed groups...

I can be on that bike Stefan Sahm rode the EPIC on and Nino on a 26inch and I will still loose :( .

No chance on Stefan's bike... I have ridden it and it's awesome... 400w extra.... but you might crash on the flat....

Is it me or is everyone not having a good day so far? Okes seem very sensitive today. . .

9/11 ..... what did you expect?

All that is purely down to geometry. Not wheelsize... 

+1,

I had a Single Speed GT 26" hardtail with a rigid fork that I regrettably sold two years ago. Till this day, there are sections on Strava that even with a Cannondale 29" and Pyga 29" that I simply could not match the times set with this bike. It's geometry and setup was just near perfect.

Horses for courses I say

I would love to see how Nino would do against all the big wheelers racing a 26er again. My guess is he would still win. 

Is it me or is everyone not having a good day so far? Okes seem very sensitive today. . .

WTF is your problem ;)

WTF is your problem ;)

Haha, exactly what i'm talking about, at least you didn't join 4 minutes ago. . .  :whistling:

Haha, exactly what i'm talking about, at least you didn't join 4 minutes ago. . . :whistling:

...but I might just quit this forum!!

A 26er will always stay competitive - it's down to the engine powering the bike.

But it is quite simple - XC, same person, same course, same power - you will be faster on a 29er. Of course there is alot more to it like geometry, the type of course, riding style, etc etc. But in general terms you will beat your 26er times on a 29er.

Hairy, how fast are namby pamby light green ones?

I have a red chainring, so the power is there tchjina

Archived