MTB Tyres... Again

Halfdoesyn

Morning all.

This has been asked and answered a few times, still I have trouble making up my mind.

My situation is this: I've worn down the original Maxxis Sphinx crap on my 29er HT and it is time to replace. My rims are tubeless ready, so I'll be attempting to go that route. The kind of riding I do is nothing hectic, Meerendal, Conties, etc. Definitely not a fan of going out in the mud, so mostly dry conditions.

What does Hubland suggest I put on? MTB tyres are as expensive as car tyres, so trial and error can be costly.

Thoughts please?

Thanks

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I hate cannot stand punctures, and love reliability especially in tyres, with this I am also happy to sacrifice some weight so I went with Maxxis ardent up front and crossmark on the rear. Been happy as a pig in sh!t ever since. Combo doesn't quite grip as well as some racy tyres but not really much of an issue to be honest. This combo gives good lifespan and touch wood no issues at all with it in the last year and a half.

My 2c given I've been pulling my hair out lately over tyers (tires?) - potatoes

Had Rocket Ron's come on my Scott - absolute shite! Kaked myself at every corner 

Put on Conti Protection - Race King rear and X King front - awesome! indestructible and super grippy

Now have Racing Ralphs that came on my Scalpel - hate them. Light and fast yes but you better ride with lots of plugs. And bombs. And a spare tube 

Had Rocket Ron's come on my Scott - absolute shite! Kaked myself at every corner 

Put on Conti Protection - Race King rear and X King front - awesome! indestructible and super grippy

Now have Racing Ralphs that came on my Scalpel - hate them. Light and fast yes but you better ride with lots of plugs. And bombs. And a spare tube 

The Rocket Ron and Racing Ralph in the Snakeskin version are great xc tyres, the best, I think,. I`ll pick these over the Conti Protection Race King and X-king, although these are very good tyres too. Maxxis Ikon Exo and Spez Fast Track are also good options and works out cheaper than Conti and Schwalbe in terms of price and how long it lasts.

Morning all.

This has been asked and answered a few times, still I have trouble making up my mind.

My situation is this: I've worn down the original Maxxis Sphinx crap on my 29er HT and it is time to replace. My rims are tubeless ready, so I'll be attempting to go that route. The kind of riding I do is nothing hectic, Meerendal, Conties, etc. Definitely not a fan of going out in the mud, so mostly dry conditions.

What does Hubland suggest I put on? MTB tyres are as expensive as car tyres, so trial and error can be costly.

Thoughts please?

Thanks

Honestly, dude - have a look in the other tyre thread. There's LOADS of info there. 

Were they (either the Rons or the Ralphs) SnakeSkin versions? Significantly tougher than the Evos. You mention Conti Protections, which is the equivalent to Schwalbe Snakeskin.

It's important for the OP to know what casing/compound/option you had in the tyre, not just "Racing Ralph".

Maxxis Ardent Race 2.35" and be done with it. Don't be tempted by the narrower options. They don't roll faster.

They weren't the SnakeSkin versions 

Vittoria Barzo upfront, Vittoria Saguaro at the back. Problem sorted. You can thank me later.

As for price? Well, CWC Black Friday next week...again, you can thank me later

Honestly, dude - have a look in the other tyre thread. There's LOADS of info there. 

That`s the problem there is too much info there so its better to start a new thread. Forums need some type of auto summary on content in threads, maybe I should build this.

Using Rocket Ron SS, good rolling resistance and very happy with the grip and the way they feel in the corners. Wouldn't waste my time if they weren't Snake Skin. I also came off those shite Maxis Sphinx

Archived