• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The lefty is one of the reasons I would choose the Scalpel. Its way stiffer than any other fork I ever had.

I am in the market for a new bike and have finally narrowed it down to these 2 bikes.

Scott Spark 910 or Cannondale Scalpel Si 3

You narrowed it down to 2.. and Specialized was not one of them!?!?!?!

The lefty is one of the reasons I would choose the Scalpel. Its way stiffer than any other fork I ever had.

Agree, and you will find that most of the Lefty critics out there have not even ridden one let alone owned one !!

You narrowed it down to 2.. and Specialized was not one of them!?!?!?!

I looked at Specialized but dont like the brain shock and the servicing of it. The Camber doesnt have this so is a possible option

But...

I also dont think you get the same value for your money. For the same price the specs on the Specialized are always below the other bikes.

I looked at Specialized but dont like the brain shock and the servicing of it. The Camber doesnt have this so is a possible option

But...

I also dont think you get the same value for your money. For the same price the specs on the Specialized are always below the other bikes.

I have a Camber

Love the bike, but it wasn't good value for money...

Its also a very different kind of bike compared to the Scalpel.

Its closer to the Spark in terms of travel & dropper seatpost etc.

But...

I'm currently riding a Epic, my next bike will be a Scalpel. The brain does not feel as smooth as the other rear shocks.

Have had two Epics - rode the Cannondale and I am sold - the lefty actually works - the brain on the fork on the Spaz doesn't ! 

Dude something to consider as well is dual bottle cages inside the main triangle. This imho is crucial for stage races. 

However as everyone has said rather test ride both bikes before buying.

Also I've asked cycle lab on mail and via phone for the maintenance costs on the fork, still no answer. So if servicing it starts to avoid your budget rather have a look at the scott with the more straightforward fork service.

All of that being said, I'm currently strongly considering at the SI just because it looks amazing

But...

How is this myth perpetuated still?

$ equivalent of the Scalpel Si is the Camber expert. And only inferior parts on the Camber is the SLX brakes vs Scalpel's XTs (which is essentially the same as the bite point adjust on shimano is a useless function), but then again it comes without a dropper post. 

I'm not a spez fan boy, but please compare apples with apples.

My choice in bike would be the Scott Spark RC though as. Scott is the better value bike of the lot. Also the Spark and Camber is a trail bike, Scalpel is XC. Bit of a difference.

How is this myth perpetuated still?

$ equivalent of the Scalpel Si is the Camber expert. And only inferior parts on the Camber is the SLX brakes vs Scalpel's XTs (which is essentially the same as the bite point adjust on shimano is a useless function), but then again it comes without a dropper post. 

I'm not a spez fan boy, but please compare apples with apples.

My choice in bike would be the Scott Spark RC though as. Scott is the better value bike of the lot. Also the Spark and Camber is a trail bike, Scalpel is XC. Bit of a difference.

Nino won the XC Olympics on a Spark, so i'm not so sure about it being a trail bike?

Dude something to consider as well is dual bottle cages inside the main triangle. This imho is crucial for stage races. 

However as everyone has said rather test ride both bikes before buying.

Also I've asked cycle lab on mail and via phone for the maintenance costs on the fork, still no answer. So if servicing it starts to avoid your budget rather have a look at the scott with the more straightforward fork service.

All of that being said, I'm currently strongly considering at the SI just because it looks amazing

I have spoken to cyclelab about the servicing of the fork and apparently the new fork is more durable and doesnt need to be serviced as often as the forks on the 2016 models and earlier. I am not against paying for servicing but I would be servicing the "brain" every 6 weeks with the riding I do and this will add to the overall costs rapidly...

Cyclelab said with my mileage I should only have to service the Lefty only every 3,5 - 4 months on my mileage....

Nino won the XC Olympics on a Spark, so i'm not so sure about it being a trail bike?

Spark RC, the Spark is now a 120 mm trail bike.. RC is 100mm XC bike. Not being pedantic, but I reckon their new nomenclature can be confusing to some.

Archived