The Classics

'Dale

He meant it wasn’t hard enough to make it a climbers race, which is true since a sprinter won the race. Blows my mind that a couple of sprinters survived the 3 climbs the pace looked (and was) hot 🥵 

• Replies 7.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

2 hours ago, Zebra said:

Managed to watch DSTV 430 with sound OFF, and cell phone with TIZ, sound ON, made for fun/chaotic viewing, but WHAT a finish!!!

I used to love watching Giro on RAI, the Italians go crazy with their commentary. All I could make out was the riders names.

Today reportedly a 46.133kph average speed, which would beat the 1990 edition – 45.806kph – for the quickest Milan-San Remo ever.

“Chasing Tadej after… I had to react one more time and it was really painful, and Jasper came over to me on the descent and said that he still had really good legs… and we are honest with each other, so I knew what to do…  we can be really proud that we win San Remo twice with the team.

~ The Rainbow Jersey 

Pic: @CA_Ita

IMG_6232.jpeg

Edited by 'Dale

12 hours ago, 'Dale said:

Today reportedly a 46.133kph average speed, which would beat the 1990 edition – 45.806kph – for the quickest Milan-San Remo ever.

“Chasing Tadej after… I had to react one more time and it was really painful, and Jasper came over to me on the descent and said that he still had really good legs… and we are honest with each other, so I knew what to do…  we can be really proud that we win San Remo twice with the team.

~ The Rainbow Jersey 

IMG_6232.jpeg

Without that communication and team effort, neither features in the end.

Well done.! 👏🏻

12 hours ago, Jbr said:

He meant it wasn’t hard enough to make it a climbers race, which is true since a sprinter won the race. Blows my mind that a couple of sprinters survived the 3 climbs the pace looked (and was) hot 🥵 

Never change Tadej ;)

GIz3w2dXwAASbVa.jpeg

15 hours ago, 'Dale said:

~ The Rainbow Jersey 

IMG_6232.jpeg

Proper selflessness and a proper team player. But those white shorts... bold move

21 minutes ago, lechatnoir said:

Proper selflessness and a proper team player. But those white shorts... bold move

I recon he wins with black (actually blue) shorts 🫢

On RAI, I obviously couldn't understand a word, but:

Michael Matthews had his interview before the start, and they were translating as he was speaking. His last words were something along the lines of "and hopefully I will be standing on the top step at the end of the day" 

The Italians couldn't contain their surprise, you could hear them snicker at the thought of Matthews thinking he has a chance. (I don't know Italian, but you could 'hear' their tone of voice.) 

He came very, VERY close! 

Awesome ride by Bettiol, who’s having a good spring thus far 

E3 or 'mini Tour de Flanders today and Gent-Wevelgem on Sunday.

Can the Steppers animate and place the favourites on Canyons and Cervélos under pressure this weekend?

spacer.png

24 minutes ago, 'Dale said:

Can the Steppers animate and place the favourites on Canyons and Cervélos under pressure this weekend?

Last year WvA won E3, then lost Flanders and Roubaix. Hoping it goes the other way around this year.

On 3/17/2024 at 12:43 PM, babse said:

I recon he wins with black (actually blue) shorts 🫢

E3

images (13).jpeg

Gent-Wevelgem:

76 kms to go and a tactical masterclass by Lidl-Trek thus far. It’s been a day of echelons with 30 km/h crosswinds on a cool and dry Belgian day.

Beautiful racing.

Edited by 'Dale

26 minutes ago, 'Dale said:

Gent-Wevelgem:

76 kms to go and a tactical masterclass by Lidl-Trek thus far. It’s been a day of echelons with 30 km/h crosswinds on a cool and dry Belgian day.

Beautiful racing.

Enjoying the racing and the tactics from Lidl-Trek, but I feel it is only a matter of time for MvdP to go solo.

No a Classic race, but it was nice to see Egan Bernal back on a podium (Volta Ciclista a Catalunya), even though it was a master class from Pogačar.