Garmin Edge 820 or 520?

CASSIE1975

My old 500 has been giving problems for the last few months. The PAGE/MENU button wasn't working so well anymore. I had to push the button a few times and in a rocking motion to get it to work. Went to NavWorld on Saturday and they told me its too old and they no longer have cases for those models and it would need a new case. 2 options, continue using it(other than that issue it was flawless) or pay them R1835 and get a 520 bundle. So obviously I parted with the cash. Only used it once so cant say much but it seems pretty good. 

This is my 3rd edge and have only ever paid full  price once :)

• Replies 203
  • Created
  • Last Reply

My old 500 has been giving problems for the last few months. The PAGE/MENU button wasn't working so well anymore. I had to push the button a few times and in a rocking motion to get it to work. Went to NavWorld on Saturday and they told me its too old and they no longer have cases for those models and it would need a new case. 2 options, continue using it(other than that issue it was flawless) or pay them R1835 and get a 520 bundle. So obviously I parted with the cash. Only used it once so cant say much but it seems pretty good. 

I did the same a few months ago and as already hat the HRM, Speed and Cadence Sensors and out front mount... sold them and recouped the cost for the buy in ... so in the end cost me nothing to replace/upgrade :)

Am very happy with the 520, does everything that I need for both road and MTB.  Have never had a touch screen as came from a 500, so am use to buttons.  Have used the on board maps once and was suitable for my needs.

Ordered a 520 as I heard was the best value for money. Hope it works well!

You won't go wrong with the 520.

I have had mine for the past 6 months and it hasn't given me a single issue. As mentioned by some of the others, open maps can be loaded which makes exploring new areas very easy.

I couldn't justify the additional cash for the 820 over the 520.

To those that know about the map story, Please provide more details for guys like me that aren't that good with PC stuff.

I have the 520. I see I have a map already loaded out of the box, But it seems to only have the major roads like highways which I don't intend riding on.

Interresting read this.  Still saving up the cash but I still have my eyes set on a 820.  Here in Europe it is about 100€ difference in price between the two bundles.  Upgrading from a very old Polar HRM I think I am still going for the 820.  Still need to save for another 4 months or so.

To those that know about the map story, Please provide more details for guys like me that aren't that good with PC stuff.

I have the 520. I see I have a map already loaded out of the box, But it seems to only have the major roads like highways which I don't intend riding on.

It's a pretty straightforward process.

Here are the steps that you need to follow:

https://www.dcrainmaker.com/2013/05/download-garmin-705800810.html 

The funny thing is Whatsapp notifications works 100% with all the forerunner watches as well as the Fenix. For some reason they have not rolled it out to the Edge...

Then there is something wrong with my Fenix3....only notifications I get is calls; sms; twitter.....no whatsapp but I dont mind.....don't want to be bothered by group chats ect while I'm out riding.

Garmin support is top notch. Remember the old Edge 305, those things were amazing for the time, but they had quite a few water ingress issues - Garmin didn't blink to replace.

And who can forget the ridiculous mounting brackets for those devices, man, so many people lost their gadgets back in the day. Mind you, even now, an aftermarket mount is better...

Then there is something wrong with my Fenix3....only notifications I get is calls; sms; twitter.....no whatsapp but I dont mind.....don't want to be bothered by group chats ect while I'm out riding.

You have to allow whatsapp in the Garmin Connect app on your smartphone to send notifications before it will come through...

You have to allow whatsapp in the Garmin Connect app on your smartphone to send notifications before it will come through...

Thanks for the tip

Under settings / Smart Notifications - WhatsApp is listed under Social Media

Mine was already switched on, but notifications don't appear on the device. Maybe there is a setting on the 520 to discover.

• 4 weeks later...

Has anyone tested if the Edge 500 Speed / Cadence sensor works on the Edge 520 unit?

Would be nice if they in fact work, would like to use the Edge 500 sensor on my Indoor trainer bike and then put the edge 520 sensors on my MTB  :thumbup:  and use the 520 on both MTB and IDT.

Has anyone tested if the Edge 500 Speed / Cadence sensor works on the Edge 520 unit?

Would be nice if they in fact work, would like to use the Edge 500 sensor on my Indoor trainer bike and then put the edge 520 sensors on my MTB  :thumbup:  and use the 520 on both MTB and IDT.

pretty sure they will as long as you pair them. i'm guessing, but i doubt very much they make mode-specific sensors.

Be careful of touch screens. Especially if you MTB - as stated above, they get very scratched up and obviously dont like long finger gloves.

Just cover them with a section of vinyl phone screen cover

pretty sure they will as long as you pair them. i'm guessing, but i doubt very much they make mode-specific sensors.

Thanx, that is also my thinking, I will just set it up on the IDT and test and report back for info to others...would be awesome if they do work, then I don't have to buy an extra sensor set.

Archived