Garmin Edge 820 or 520?

CASSIE1975

I chose the 520 over the 820, because of the small differeneces between the 2... I know my way around my routes that I ride, so no need for map loading.

The 520 also have the live track feature which I currently use... I do not use the speed and cadence sensors that came with the unit, because I use the GPS Signal to track speed, and the cadencee sensor that is integrated on my bike.

That said, love the unit and the ease of functionality...

I couldn't justify the additional cost of the 820 over the 520, thus, went with the 520...

Very happy with it.

Used on both Road and MTB

• Replies 203
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I chose the 520 over the 820, because of the small differeneces between the 2... I know my way around my routes that I ride, so no need for map loading.

The 520 also have the live track feature which I currently use... I do not use the speed and cadence sensors that came with the unit, because I use the GPS Signal to track speed, and the cadencee sensor that is integrated on my bike.

That said, love the unit and the ease of functionality...

I couldn't justify the additional cost of the 820 over the 520, thus, went with the 520...

Very happy with it.

Used on both Road and MTB

So if you do ever decide to load maps onto your 520 here is a good link.

https://www.dcrainmaker.com/2013/05/download-garmin-705800810.html

I loaded most of RSA as well as Mauritius and there is still enough space in the memory for plenty riding. I also know most of the roads I ride but was exploring some hills in December on roads I don't know too well and I switched to the map and I actually found even more hills without double backing.

So if you do ever decide to load maps onto your 520 here is a good link.

https://www.dcrainmaker.com/2013/05/download-garmin-705800810.html

I loaded most of RSA as well as Mauritius and there is still enough space in the memory for plenty riding. I also know most of the roads I ride but was exploring some hills in December on roads I don't know too well and I switched to the map and I actually found even more hills without double backing.

Thanks for this, just on another point...

What is the real difference between the 520 and 820 then, if the 520 has the ability to load maps as well?

I know, that the 820 has group tracking, which is a helpful feature if your buddies ride away from you (but then again, if you call them buddies, then they would NOT ride away from you)

What else is there?

What is the real difference between the 520 and 820 then, if the 520 has the ability to load maps as well?

I know, that the 820 has group tracking, which is a helpful feature if your buddies ride away from you (but then again, if you call them buddies, then they would NOT ride away from you)

What else is there?

Ability to add storage for more maps.

Touch screen.

Makes your wallet feel like a carbon wallet .. very light.

What else is there?

820 has the ability to take a memory card and you can load A LOT more maps.  Bigger screen as well which if you navigating would come in handy I guess. I have never used the 820 so can't comment too much. It was out of my price range when I got the 520 anyway so these features are just what I picked up on after getting my 520.

Touch screen.

Chirp of the day

820 has the ability to take a memory card and you can load A LOT more maps.  Bigger screen as well which if you navigating would come in handy I guess. I have never used the 820 so can't comment too much. It was out of my price range when I got the 520 anyway so these features are just what I picked up on after getting my 520.

Yeah, doesn't phase me though, the 520 screen, is a massive imporvement on the 500 screen that I was used to...

If it is just that, then, I'm seriously satisfied with my choice of the 520, especially with the price I paid for it before the Rand took a dive, when Zuma decided to fire Gordhan

Touch screen.

The 820 can not take a memory card. It does have 16GB on internal memory though.

What else is there?

In short these are the feature differences at overview level.

post-40232-0-91821200-1493105146_thumb.png

post-40232-0-64838700-1493105149_thumb.png

Thanks.  In that case I am leaning more more to the 520.  I can get it on Amazon for 300€, 120€ cheaper than the 820.  And as I said, the touch screen could be an issue if you take into consideration that I will be cycling with gloves for about 4 to 5 months in the year at least.

Just bought the 520 from these guys - way cheaper than Amazon

https://www.evanscycles.com/en-za/garmin-edge-520-EV250237

I have the 520 - don't know the others.

Here are a few issues:

1) I have also seen below sea level (- 19 meters) at the South Coast in December! You can manually fix the altitude if you stand on the beach! Alternatively bring snorkel on ride...

2) At a race I switched on the unit 5 minutes before the start and was chatting to my buddy... and the unit automatically started a 'scheduled software update'. @#$% - amount of pressing buttons couldn't stop the damn thing, and I lost 5-6 minutes of the race.

3) The ascent is ALWAYS different to Strava or other units (including Garmins)??? Sometimes by more than 10-15%. This I can't figure - so please anyone help. On some rides / races I am 200+ meters below everyone's ascent data (and I didn't take any shortcuts...).

As Garmin works with barometric pressure the unit guesses altitude at the starting point. The easy way around this to get accurate elevation is to set Elevation Points in GPS menu. I have set the correct height at my front gate and a few other points, when you start your ride within 15 metres of the set point it automatically changes the estimated barometric pressure elevation to the correct elevation.  Easy to do at any new location when on holiday or a trip.

The accuracy of the starting elevation has no impact on actual ascent or descent from the activity but this can be affected by changes in weather brought about by massive high or low pressure cells moving in rapidly.

Strava ignores your reported elevation recordings and replaces them with their own calculated values for the waypoints on your activity. They do this to compensate for devices with inaccurate altitude calculations.

As Garmin works with barometric pressure the unit guesses altitude at the starting point. The easy way around this to get accurate elevation is to set Elevation Points in GPS menu. I have set the correct height at my front gate and a few other points, when you start your ride within 15 metres of the set point it automatically changes the estimated barometric pressure elevation to the correct elevation.  Easy to do at any new location when on holiday or a trip.

The accuracy of the starting elevation has no impact on actual ascent or descent from the activity but this can be affected by changes in weather brought about by massive high or low pressure cells moving in rapidly.

Strava ignores your reported elevation recordings and replaces them with their own calculated values for the waypoints on your activity. They do this to compensate for devices with inaccurate altitude calculations.

And replace it with their own inaccurate altitude calculations  ^_^

And replace it with their own inaccurate altitude calculations ^_^

Perhaps some are inaccurate, but at least they would be consistent .

Archived