Canyon Bikes in SA

Sitting@89

Jeez just worked out that with 400£ shipping and 15% vat turns a 25k bike into a 32k bike, almost makes it worth flying to germany getting the bike there and flying back

Remember a complete bike carries a 15% duty plus your 15.4% (vat + handling). Why not just order a frame? Loads of specials on group sets and its more fun building your own bike.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

who declares their bicycle.... :ph34r:

you still going to pay customs when you come through the gate and declare the new piece of jewellery, except, you in the hole for a return ticket to Germany as well ;)

Remember a complete bike carries a 15% duty plus your 15.4% (vat + handling). Why not just order a frame? Loads of specials on group sets and its more fun building your own bike.

Only if it is an assembled complete bike. If it comes in as parts then it is VAT of 15.4% only.

Wheels off, handle bar off, remove fork. That makes it parts.

you still going to pay customs when you come through the gate and declare the new piece of jewellery, except, you in the hole for a return ticket to Germany as well ;)

Fly out with an old bicycle and come back with the new.  If serial numbers are involved get the serial number of the new bike before you leave, print label, stick on the old bike and fly out.  :whistling:

Fly out with an old bicycle and come back with the new. If serial numbers are involved get the serial number of the new bike before you leave, print label, stick on the old bike and fly out. :whistling:

That would be fraud. Just saying.

Fly out with an old bicycle and come back with the new.  If serial numbers are involved get the serial number of the new bike before you leave, print label, stick on the old bike and fly out.  :whistling:

Fly out with an empty bike bag and come back with a bike+bag

So am I correct in saying that is another 30% on purchase price

what airport are you chaps flying from, Waterkloof?

Cant recall having too photographically record what luggage I left the country with; so completely impossible for arrivals to say you didnt leave with it. 

Fly out with an empty bike bag and come back with a bike+bag

So am I correct in saying that is another 30% on purchase price

if you exclude Origin country VAT from the equation, yes. But that's not the actual purchase price. Purchase price INCLUDES origin country VAT. When you show your region as SA, the site automatically removes the origin country VAT. In the case of Germany, that's 20% - so you're essentially only paying 10% above ticket price. 

Edited by Myles Mayhew

I have flown with bikes in and out of SA numerous times. On the way out, it is never noted. Occasionally on the way in, they may ask "is that bike new?", I say "No", and that is about as far as it goes.

I would fly to a spot like this: http://www.cyclingdolomites.com/passo-pordoi-from-canazei/

Have the bike delivered there. Ride it for a week, stick masking tape on bits, put on an old saddle, old waterbottle cages, fly back with it dirty.

They haven't actually ever opened a bike box of mine. Just make sure the bag / box also looks like it has been around the world a few times.

(I would also love to hear what you think of the bike. I am looking at that exact model myself. Trying to decide between that and the Swift Attack G2, which is also getting rave reviews).

Edited by Baracuda

• 2 weeks later...

So she arrived in SA.... looking absolutely sexy and sleek and fast and....probably one of the nicest bikes I have ever owned.

The whole process was very easy- if anything maybe not the quickest due to delay in email replies(usually takes 2 days for them to reply on any mail sent)

Ordering was easy and as soon as the order is placed a representative gets in touch to make sure about all the sizing and extras- from there it is processed by the warehouse and shipping takes place. Not all bikes ship directly(the estimated stock availible dates is listed on website where you select the size to order, IMHO +1 week to this)

Shipping is done by UPS or Fedex and fairly quick- although it doesnt come cheap.

The bike packaging is excellent and really protective- although bulky. If you plan to pick it up in a foreign country, dont expect to travel any further with the bikeguard box as it will not fit in a taxi a d any airline would look funny at you. So take a proper bike travel case with to be more obscure.

Costs- since the bike was exported there is a discount on the Euro proce showed on the website(although not the full 19% from Germany), I shipped to Dubai which had a 5% tax and a small clearing fee and added a quick Dubai trip to pick it up(traveling on a staff ticket for $100 return). Overall a massive saving considering I did not end up paying the 30% SA duties(complete bikes have a duty, whereas part or incomplete bike has 0 duty) or 14% tax.

Use above travel bike case with some tatty tape around it and walk straight past airport customs to save a fortune.

If you have any questions please ask me

post-8555-0-09704000-1482908875_thumb.jpg

• 1 month later...

Happy to report that after the 1st one I was impressed enough to get their Aeroroad framset posted to SA. Absolute no issues and super fast.

Fantastic machines for goood value

Happy to report that after the 1st one I was impressed enough to get their Aeroroad framset posted to SA. Absolute no issues and super fast.

Fantastic machines for goood value

What was your import duties? Im looking at getting a whole bike.. But dont want to pay 30%.. Seems no one can answer the vat duties question..