Does spinning improve overall cycling performance?

Hi All,

Not sure if there is already a thread on this topic but i was wondering if spinning classes actually improve your overall performance when riding on trails?

I spin twice a week and haven't really noticed a significant improvement in my stamina or power when riding the weekend trails.

Is there a combination that i should be following? eg: spinning & a cardio workout, upper body strength training, core exercising, bulking up on body muscle etc.

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Spinning get me through the winter months / mornings just fine . . . 

Nothing beats been on your bike though !

When you say spinning, Do you mean those classes at the gym where you listen to doof doof music and look at hot chicks? Or get onto a IDT/wattbike and suffer?

Big difference IMHO, Used to do a spin class once a week on a Monday at the gym just to loosen the legs after a hard weekend racing/training. Other than that only time I get onto a stationary trainer is for intervals etc and that's normally at home.

I agree with Prozac, Nothing beats the real thing.

This is my first year cycling (I was not fit starting out) and I started spinning in August, 3 times a week at virgin active. I think I threw up the first twee weeks when I started spinning.

However, since then I have done the stellenbosch one tonner (109) 30km/h avg, cw durby dash (90) 30km/h avg, coronation double century 25km/h avg and the stellenbosch cycle tour (97) 35km/h avg. 

I would say the spinning played an instrumental role in getting my cardio fitness up. After the second month I started to do one 90min spinning class as well.

I did longer bike rides on the weekends, anything between 70km and 110km.

If you have the right spinning instructor, who is/was a competitive cyclist, then the classes can be of help.

In the late 2000's the one instructor at my local VA was an ex-springbok track cyclist and he had structured classes. It was as if I was receiving personal training - without HR, power or anything but cadence and resistance.

Spinning will not replace time on the bike and an essential part of training is the long endurance rides which in my opinion would bring you close to dying of boredom if you are going to try that on a spinning bike.  However spinning can be a very valuable tool in your training.

I have not done spinning recently but did it for years.  Normally two sessions a week.  My main focus was then Interval/Cardio and concentrating on adding that extra resistance on the bike.

At the end of the day it is what you make of it in that 45-60 minute period.

Hi All,

Not sure if there is already a thread on this topic but i was wondering if spinning classes actually improve your overall performance when riding on trails?

I spin twice a week and haven't really noticed a significant improvement in my stamina or power when riding the weekend trails.

Is there a combination that i should be following? eg: spinning & a cardio workout, upper body strength training, core exercising, bulking up on body muscle etc.

Have you looked at the CycleOps VIP Training Studio in Rivonia ?? They offer a Power Based training program. www.cycleopsvip.co.za

I am a cyclist and spinning instructor.If you have cycling specific instructors (and not just general areobic instructor with no worth while bike training experience)Indoor cycling classes will make a huge difference if you willing to put the effort in on the spinning bike, after all it is your intense specific 45min dedicated interval training effort required. Focusing on that ballance of putting on the correct perceived resistance effort (load) and a challenging cadence. Load x cadence =work achieved. There are not too many non spinners that will put in quality intervals, hill reps, cadence drills etc. Out on the road. So to me the combination of consistant spinning and time out on the road gives great returns.

You will hopefully find an instructor on a spin bike that appeals to something in you (read into that what ever you like), and that will keep you going to a class that gets you off the couch. Worked for me to get me going. Cycling during the week was not really working for me.

PS you will find some seriously thick instructors as well who have never even seen a bike. A fellow class guy actually asked the one instructor if she had even been on a bike. The response was no. "Come on guys.... lets really get going now, cadence up at 80 for a full power at 10/10 climb for the next 5 minute song......". She did not even break a sweat the whole class.  :thumbdown:

the new pack classes at VA are good, I was at cadence before (9 weeks) and now i use the pack classes to maintain fitness as the interactive displays and class does help a lot however thats once a week only

On a tues and thurs my i use the wattbike and focus on more structured session alternatively i get on the road and do a 50km ride

I have to agree, the spinning instructor does make a difference. I dropped the one morning classes because the instructor did not time the sets with the music and that would lead to situations where we would sprint for 40+- seconds while a song is ending and a new one is starting. It might seem minor, but it makes a huge difference in enjoyability compared to the other instructor who works out sets with songs

If I want to listen to doof-doof and check out the hot girls, I go spinning.

But mostly I train out on the road, with a group (bunch of hooligans really!)

Sometimes I wish I can get the Testosterone flush out on the road, like I get in the spinning class looking at the babes. That surely will have me flashing up the hill!

so if you really want to become fit, get a bunch of hooligans that will have you hanging on for dear live on their back wheels. On the road you cannot flatten the looming hill in front of you, stop the wind blowing you of your bike or get the hooligans to ride slower.

ps. I tend to crook with that spinner nob when things become tough.

When you say spinning, Do you mean those classes at the gym where you listen to doof doof music and look at hot chicks? Or get onto a IDT/wattbike and suffer?

Big difference IMHO, Used to do a spin class once a week on a Monday at the gym just to loosen the legs after a hard weekend racing/training. Other than that only time I get onto a stationary trainer is for intervals etc and that's normally at home.

I agree with Prozac, Nothing beats the real thing.

Agreed! Spinning bike/wattbike for intervals and suffering and the occasional leg loosner.

Not a fan of spinning classes apart from staring at hot chicks :ph34r:

Spinning is def better than nothing.  At the very least, it's an aerobic workout that makes you focus on cadence.  It is also a good way to learn how to ride with cleats.

In my view, your time in gym would be better spent doing core workouts or cycling-specific exercise (e.g. plyometrics).

I used to spin for years without any real improvement in my cycling. HR alone is unfortunately not sufficient to measure progress or exertion when you do intervals (the best use of indoor training imo). I started doing Cadence classes twice a week just over a year ago and have seen a huge improvement. Training is based on your own abilities and limitations, opposed to perceived exertion (spinning). Furthermore the instructor monitors your progress on screen with you as he / she walks through the class during the session, so there is no temptation to pretend to work hard for a set or 2. I will struggle to go back from power based training in future. I find the Cadence sessions to be much more focussed. As you get stronger and fitter, your zones are adjusted, so you are not simply stuck with the same zones while you get stronger. I use the Cadence sessions in the week as focussed interval training and usually ride once during the week and over weekends. I do not regard these rides as focussed training sessions, but rather as fun on the bike.

Spinning is very good.

My routine  for the past 2 months has been as follows:

Monday: Rest

Tuesday: VA Spinning class 90 min

Wednesday: Taebo type home exercise 60 min

Thursday: road ride 2 hours

Friday: Rest

Saturday: Road/MTB ride 3-4 hours

Sunday: Rest

I've seen an improvement in my endurance and speed.

Archived