2017 Cape Epic Route SUCKS!

Mohs

This is my opinion, so feel free to disagree…But I think the 2017 Cape Epic route sucks…

You are doing the Wine to whales backwards  2 and half times....

I understand that it is logistically much easier for the organizers to camp out in one spot and have the riders go round in circles . The entry fee is astronomical and the amount of riders and sponsors have multiplied three-fold since the Knysna years…So funds cannot be the problem …more riders more responsibility, I get it, but for heaven’s sake make it more interesting. Riding one wheat field to the next wheat field....Boring!

What I loved about the other and earlier Epic races was the change of scenery and landscape. Been able to say I went from A to B and it took me 8 very hard days crossing various areas and terrain….not A-bbbbbb-C

That’s why the Tour de France have been such a huge success for so many years. Yes having live broadcasting helps , but the Idea of crossing so many borders and areas is what fascinates people.

Its the emperor's new clothes story ---everyone love the Epic, me to...but this route suck for what you are paying.

Maybe I am just pissed that I will have to spend my yearly income on a race that is held on a track that I can go ride for R50 per day all year round…(I am not racing in 2017)

So please Mr Cape Epic route decider dude,  for 2018 MIX IT UP A BIT….

Edited by MDK!

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I think the epic is more about the pros that ride and at the speed they ride no one realyy notices how they ride the same spots more and more.

pro rivals putting a on a good show > nice trails for ALL the riders to enjoy

I think the epic is more about the pros that ride and at the speed they ride no one realyy notices how they ride the same spots more and more.

pro rivals putting a on a good show > nice trails for ALL the riders to enjoy

Off-course- its about the pro's, not talking about the race itself...the adventure is just gone for the normal rider with this route-its a boring route compared to other years

Edited by MDK!

Off-course- its about the pro's, not talking about the race itself...the adventure is just gone for the normal rider with this route-its a boring route compared to other years

I may have worded my reply wrong , i'm with you ( not that i will ever ride the epic) I also think they should rather start somewhere say Cape town and ride destination to destination race and not stop in one town do 3 similar loops and then go on to the next (and last ) town to do the same.

But with the corporate powers that are involved I fear this will never happen.

It is now also owned by Iron Man.... People tend to forget this.

Bums in seats, all the gear no idea and hype... Granted it is not easy, but IM is also not particularly tough.

So is it time for a new someone to stand up and create a NEW 'properly South African' event and let the conglomerate that is IM take the Epic in another direction?

It is now also owned by Iron Man.... People tend to forget this.

Bums in seats, all the gear no idea and hype... Granted it is not easy, but IM is also not particularly tough.

So is it time for a new someone to stand up and create a NEW 'properly South African' event and let the conglomerate that is IM take the Epic in another direction?

Sad but true...luckily Joburg-2 Sea-still has that vibe going...for now.

Sad but true...luckily Joburg-2 Sea-still has that vibe going...for now.

TransCape... Starts in Knysna, moves every day and great daily scenery & routes. 7 days too.

Isn't it also (almost'ish) one of the old Epic routes?

Wait till the riders hit the sand in Tesselaarsdal area. There will be carnage.

I know that one cannot swop bikes on the epic, but I wonder if some of the guys riding on bikes that can swop between 29 & 27.5+ (e.g. Tallboy 3) may swop for 27.5+ on the sandy days?

Why would you guess they would want too?

Plus size tyres or run very flat only thing that makes sand half bearable.

I know that one cannot swop bikes on the epic, but I wonder if some of the guys riding on bikes that can swop between 29 & 27.5+ (e.g. Tallboy 3) may swop for 27.5+ on the sandy days?

"I will have to spend my yearly income on a race"  Except you don't have to......

your on the lower income tax bracket then not really paying tax for the income and probably cannot afford to cycle - Idd say you are pretty damn lucky to be able to ride if you can take your whole years salary and go and do a race like the epic. If you are using your whole years salary you probably don't have kids or a wife to support and can probably also not afford the training you need to do and the maintenance on the bike to get to the epic - idd still say you are pretty damn lucky to do it - perhaps if its such an issue maybe sell your entry to some one else that would appreciate it more and take your yearly salary and spend it on beer or something

your on the lower income tax bracket then not really paying tax for the income and probably cannot afford to cycle - Idd say you are pretty damn lucky to be able to ride if you can take your whole years salary and go and do a race like the epic. If you are using your whole years salary you probably don't have kids or a wife to support and can probably also not afford the training you need to do and the maintenance on the bike to get to the epic - idd still say you are pretty damn lucky to do it - perhaps if its such an issue maybe sell your entry to some one else that would appreciate it more and take your yearly salary and spend it on beer or something

...Its called 'Figure of speech' Hill drop.....but if you don't understand the letter Or the point of this topic dont comment... Edited by MDK!

I'd imagine it works out much cheaper for the organisers to have one base point for most of the race. Lower financial input, higher profit margins, probably the way it will always be run now that the Chinese own it.