Newb has questions- please be patient :)

Dullscalpel

Best advice I got for using gears on a bike:

Try to shift between gear combinations as much as possible to find your sweet-spot and to stay there.

The more you ride and shift the more you will figure out what works for you. As you are cruising along, try shifting one gear up and back to the previous one, then shift one gear down and back again. You will feel the difference in resistance and the change in pedaling speed.

Don't worry that you will wear out the gears because of excessive shifting, it is much more important to stay in you sweet-spot.  

That's my 2c..

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Quite right 'Kaze Pete - I'm spreading disinformation here - serves me right for tapping away on phone while eating lunch!

Someone told me your gears are kaput? Clearly big blading up Dorstberg again.

Thor - When you walking it doesn't matter what gear the bike is in!!

Snap a gear cable at the lowest point of Hoogekraal - down by the river - oi oi oi - 

Someone told me your gears are kaput? Clearly big blading up Dorstberg again.

And you going through derailleurs like some of us change socks!! Watt's the matter?

Thor - When you walking it doesn't matter what gear the bike is in!!

Snap a gear cable at the lowest point of Hoogekraal - down by the river - oi oi oi - 

Are your socks the correct length, gearing may be important, but looking the part is a lot more important! Calf high, may not have the word Falke on them.

a kind of word play...

Seven for the Dwarf-lords in their halls of stone,
Nine for Mortal Men doomed to die,
One for the Dark Lord on his dark throne
In the Land of Mordor where the Shadows lie.
One Ring to rule them all, One Ring to find them,
One Ring to bring them all and in the darkness bind them
In the Land of Mordor where the Shadows lie."
—J.R.R. Tolkien's epigraph to The Lord of The Rings

So one ring is the way to go....  ;)

I heard of a guy called Die Muishond who never wears socks or shoes because he's grown cleats like rhino horns on his feet.

Are your socks the correct length, gearing may be important, but looking the part is a lot more important! Calf high, may not have the word Falke on them.

This is of uttermost importance. If sock lenght is incorrect, you'll never pedal very efficient...

Anklets that say 'Falke you' are the choice of real men. It's like a thong above the jeans... Pure 'Savage' Class!

I think u need to look at nutrition, best u get some Erythropoietin at the pharmacy, gears won't matter much after that.

a kind of word play...

Seven for the Dwarf-lords in their halls of stone,

Nine for Mortal Men doomed to die,

One for the Dark Lord on his dark throne

In the Land of Mordor where the Shadows lie.

One Ring to rule them all, One Ring to find them,

One Ring to bring them all and in the darkness bind them

In the Land of Mordor where the Shadows lie."

—J.R.R. Tolkien's epigraph to The Lord of The Rings

So one ring is the way to go.... ;)

Misquote: '... In the darkness grind them...' 3x9 obviously

I heard of a guy called Die Muishond who never wears socks or shoes because he's grown cleats like rhino horns on his feet.

I saw this somewhere:

Rule 00: DIE MUISHOND is exempt from the rules but will enforce them onto others.

Strip off your gears, and ride single speed. 

One less thing to worry about while out and enjoying the fresh air. 

This is of uttermost importance. If sock lenght is incorrect, you'll never pedal very efficient...

This is why you must wear compression socks. (and it should stop just below the knee.) 

Archived