Cape Town coffee ride with Giant and Liv Bikes

News bot

I think the Avail is the ladies version of the SCR. Based on the Claris groupset.

My Fiance has the 2016 SCR 2. We've made no changes to it apart from bar tape, fitting a ladies Arione and fitting a 34 bail out gear which came in rather handy in the Alps in Sept. I'm no expert roadie but it feels like a MUCH better ride than my better speced Merida and we only paid R8500 from Giant Cape Town.

I'm  BIG FAN of Giant Bikes. We've got 4 in the family.

TCR

SCR

2015 Reign

2012 Reign X

As per my comments in the article i was very surprised with the way the Contend rode (My usual bike is a top end carbon propel with Campag record and stupid light wheels)....didn't feel any lack of confidence when we were bombing down Kloof nek behind the car taking photos - and not much can compete at the price....think its time to add a 5th Giant to your collection...

I just find for the same money sometimes the ladies bikes are a bit more pricey than the mens equivalent, I was told this is because they bring in fewer units. The new ladies Scott road bike looks lekker with discs.

Ja true. At that price point I think they fit a fat saddle and they throw a pink stripe here & there and call it "ladies specific"

When we got the SCR I knew full well that we would be getting a ladies specific saddle. So we got the bike and started shopping around for a ladies saddle. Picked up a ladies Arione for R750 at Bike Mob. BARGAIN!

think its time to add a 5th Giant to your collection...

My one mate has a 2017 TCR in the same colorway as that Contend. SUCH a stunning bike. The pics really don't do that color justice. He had a choice of the TCR, Swift and a Spez Tarmac.

I've got a TCR already. I'm not fast enough to justify a Propel.

If I knew then what I know now my DH bike would also be a Giant.

Edited by Duane_Bosch

Jerome the Brat pack all had serious swagger and all their hats were tilted. Ask your parents. Oom Ben and I know this.

I have swagger??....AWESOME - *makes note to always wear tilted helmet*

I dont know how feasible this is - but the next time you guys do something like this can you invite a few hubbers along?

Would be great to swop bikes around just for a "feel" on what it is like to ride different models of different brands.

Yes, I know, bike size is an issue, as is distance, cleats etc. But was thinking maybe of something like along Table Mtn road that is flat kinda out and back and will allow for various people to hop on and off to test them?

HI...we have done demo days with our Giant MTB's and they are always successful and it has been suggested to do something similar with road...as now you have Aero, All-round and Endurance bikes to choose from, each with their own pros and cons and handling characteristics....watch this space, ill chat to the Hub dudes and maybe we can organize something in the near future...

HI...we have done demo days with our Giant MTB's and they are always successful and it has been suggested to do something similar with road...as now you have Aero, All-round and Endurance bikes to choose from, each with their own pros and cons and handling characteristics....watch this space, ill chat to the Hub dudes and maybe we can organize something in the near future...

:clap: :clap:  not all of us will umm get to ride a propel...till test day :whistling:

Awesome, one of the ladies we ride with has the carbon Liv and is really amazing bike.

I just find for the same money sometimes the ladies bikes are a bit more pricey than the mens equivalent, I was told this is because they bring in fewer units. The new ladies Scott road bike looks lekker with discs.

Hi Yes unfortunately fewer women's bikes manufactured so they are usually a little more expensive (although generally not much more) - but with more and more Women buying bikes we may see this pricing level out soon...

Avail-ADV-2-HD-Comp.jpg?height=600&quali

Ja true. At that price point I think they fit a fat saddle and they throw a pink stripe here & there and call it "ladies specific"

When we got the SCR I knew full well that we would be getting a ladies specific saddle. So we got the bike and started shopping around for a ladies saddle. Picked up a ladies Arione for R750 at Bike Mob. BARGAIN!

That was the case several years ago (and still is with most manufactures) Liv is now its own brand (still manufactured by Giant) so the bikes are designed from the ground up as womens specific bikes....so if there is a pink stripe on it its there for a reason :-) 

My one mate has a 2017 TCR in the same colorway as that Contend. SUCH a stunning bike. The pics really don't do that color justice. He had a choice of the TCR, Swift and a Spez Tarmac.

I've got a TCR already. I'm not fast enough to justify a Propel.

If I knew then what I know now my DH bike would also be a Giant.

That Contend is parked in front of my desk (along with a Giant Anyroad), you are right the photos do not do the colour justice, and if you ride the Contend fast enough people may just mistake it for the TCR Adv

Giant bikes

Very underrated

Great value

The brand sell the most bikes worldwide  - enough said

More than all the other brands put together....unfortunately this means Giants are able to be sold cheaper than the similar spec competition, and people (especially in SA) assume cheaper = inferior - until they ride one :-)

Jerome the Brat pack all had serious swagger and all their hats were tilted. Ask your parents. Oom Ben and I know this.

sorry uncle .....

Hi Yes unfortunately fewer women's bikes manufactured so they are usually a little more expensive (although generally not much more) - but with more and more Women buying bikes we may see this pricing level out soon...

Avail-ADV-2-HD-Comp.jpg?height=600&quali

Now my mother would like something like this, she has a MTB, but she just does gravel roads basically, problem being 52kg and her cheap steel Spez MTB is 16kg, she dies on the climbs. 

If can get the bike above with 40 tyres, tubeless would be done deal. She loves the disc brakes.

Also, wish these bikes would come with smaller chainrings or much bigger cassette, some of the long passes on gravel require a few more gears than a normal road setup. (Especially for ladies)

(Even when I rode the Cannondale slate up signal hill I was looking for a little lower gear than the 34-28. Was my only gripe about the bike. 

Edited by Pure Savage

as a guy I am a huge fan of many of the LIV paint schemes over the years...really smaak them!

as a guy I am a huge fan of many of the LIV paint schemes over the years...really smaak them!

Same here. Wish we some of those colors were available on the unisex range.