Tyre choice for Epic 2017

Brakenjan

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Thank you for the replies!

I don't know the Vittorias. It seems like the Barzo (front) and Saguaro (rear) might be a great combo? Any thoughts/experience on the puncture protection of these tyres?

Did a few thousand km on this combo already (including the J2C and the very rocky Gravel & Grape around Worcester) and not a single puncture or sidewall cut.

Must admit, I'm not a very aggressive rider.

• 2 weeks later...

Going for my 4th Epic this year. Had great success with Vredestein Black Panthers. Only one resealable puncture in 16 stages. 

I don't recommend Bontrager - sidewalls are paper thin (in my experience).

ALso had issues with Specialized tyres....

But to be fair there are many other factors that determine why a tyre fails. I've also learned to ride at higher pressures and just be slightly more careful on the loose gravel turns then take a chance on the Epic. Too much investment to lose by trying to ride in the red. You'll lose tyres; time; and even use up some of your medical savings if you try and smash down Groenlandberg for example. Ride smart and most tyres will be fine....

Purgatory and GC are not really XC tyres, are they?  

Great tyres but not really suitable for the EPIC or SA hardpack conditions, IMHO.

I've done two Epics on these tyres, they're bomb proof, and only ever had one puncture.

Tom 

• 2 weeks later...

What are the pros and cons regarding the width ie 2.20 vs 2.35? I have a 29er.

I do Marathon and Stage races

What are the pros and cons regarding the width ie 2.20 vs 2.35? I have a 29er.

I do Marathon and Stage races

Very little in practice between a 2.2 and a 2.35 for most makes - I cannot tell the difference personally that. 0.15 of an inch makes.

What is wrong with Onza?

No one in favour of this brand?

Too few options available I think.

I run the Canis on one set of my wheels and Vittoria on my other. Like the Vittoria's more.

• 8 months later...

So, which combination :

Barzo / Saguaro - Front / Back OR

Barzo / Barzo - Front / Back 

??

Did this year's Epic on Maxxis Forecaster 2.35, back and front. Brilliant grip no punctures and not a burp.

I am running Maxxis Minion DHF upfront and Maxxis Ardent Race at the back - came standard with the bike. I see though that most people on this thread have the Ardent up front. Curious as to how SC came up with that combo?

Edited by Wet Ears

Would like to mention that for this year's W2W I went with Vittoria Barzo/Saguaro combo. Not one problem on them. Was not even necessary to pump them the 3 days. I am sold on this combo.

I previously tried Onza Canis and Spez Purgatory on the front.

The Barzo has more grip than the Canis and only slightly slower, if at all, while the Barzo has about the same grip as the Purgatory but is quite a bit faster.

I also found the Canis to wash out very easily on sandy corners once they are a bit run down. But if you know you are going to race on lots of hardpack, then the Canis will be good. But we all know the Epic will almost always have loose rocky stuff.