Is Steel Real?

Hairy

Steel and Your Views  

273 members have voted

1. 1. Have you owned a steel bike before?

• Yes
    • No
  2. 2. Would you consider, or do you plan to own a steel bike?

• Yes
    • No
  3. 3. Do you think steel bikes are sexy?

• Hell Yes
    • Stupid question, naturally Steel Bike are Sexy!
    • I drool when looking at Steel Bikes

• Replies 417
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

My experience has been:

ALU -> Carbon -> Steel 

And I will mostly likely be riding steel for the rest of my life.

Thanks

I've had Alu and I've had carbon.

I read a lot of good things about steel, but have never ridden one (well probably when I was a laaitie). Just scared I'm going to get a steel frame and the thing is going to be so heavy I wont be able to drag it up a hill.

I may not have answered your question 

For the above reason these people will spend 120K to get a carbon racing machine that is uncomfortable as Fu*k!!

Rather than building A 60K  NICE steel bike that will still finish the race and be complient on the rough stuff

My experience has been:

ALU -> Carbon -> Steel 

And I will mostly likely be riding steel for the rest of my life.

^^I did this. Absolutely no regrets.

Also, I have better finishing times and more PR's with my handbuilt steel bike - mostly because it actually fits me properly, I am comfortable thanks to it's geometry and ride and I feel good on it.

(I felt like the saddle-handlebar drop on my racey carbon bike, which was apparently the perfect size for me) was like asking me to touch my toes with my elbows and I had to bend my neck backwards to see in front of me. Obviously exaggerating but you get the gist of it.)

post-41725-0-87415800-1486886929_thumb.jpg

Thanks

I've had Alu and I've had carbon.

I read a lot of good things about steel, but have never ridden one (well probably when I was a laaitie). Just scared I'm going to get a steel frame and the thing is going to be so heavy I wont be able to drag it up a hill.

Get second hand STR or Solaris and build your current bike over ride it for a month or two and then see how you feel , it will be heavier but a lot more comfortable.

And if you have been riding comfortably for 60km of a 70km race you probably make up a lot of spots in that last 10km against the guys that have been riding stiff unforgiving bikes for 60km , If thats important to you  ;)

And if you have been riding comfortably for 60km of a 70km race you probably make up a lot of spots in that last 10km against the guys that have been riding stiff unforgiving bikes for 60km , If thats important to you  ;)

Riding a carbon S-works Venge is like being married to Angelina Jolie. You are the envy of your mates but in reality the novelty wears of very quickly as you realise how unpleasant she is to live with on a daily basis.

Riding a carbon S-works Venge is like being married to Angelina Jolie. You are the envy of your mates but in reality the novelty wears of very quickly as you realise how unpleasant she is to live with on a daily basis.

Strue, but those are chafing marks I'd be happy to have.

Strue, but those are chafing marks I'd be happy to have.

Boerseun, koop 'n John Deere die eerste keer en moenie met 'n Ferrari probeer ploeg nie.

Soms is die windgat opsie die verkeerde opsie. Vra my, ek het al die skade gely.

26" v 27.5" vs 29"

23mm vs 25mm

Steel vs Carbon vs Alloy

Gears vs SS

1x vs 2x

Compact vs Standard

HT vs Dual Sus

Aero vs Climbing

And the list goes on... 

there's something for everyone. Ride what you have and enjoy it.

Can make for some interesting conversation though.

Just scared I'm going to get a steel frame and the thing is going to be so heavy I wont be able to drag it up a hill.

Boer, not to worry. I weigh 100kg, and just got back from a 70km ride on my steel single speed. Lots and lots of climbing too, so if I can do it, so can you. FYI, my bike weighs 11.9kg.

Edited by henningvr

Boer, not to worry. I weight 100kg, and just got back from a 70km ride on my steel single speed. Lots and lots of climbing too, so if I can do it, so can you. FYI, my bike weighs 11.9kg.

Rigid or soft fork?

Dankie