The Return of the ST-R 29 Hardtail? Steel Is Real!

henningvr

I reckon this would work as a 650B with a 160 mm fork to add some proper slack geo. Then it would be fun.  69 HTA is not exactly out there is it?

• Replies 208
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I reckon this would work as a 650B with a 160 mm fork to add some proper slack geo. Then it would be fun.  69 HTA is not exactly out there is it?

Remember that with every 20mm of fork length increase, HA adjusts about 1 degree slacker and SA about 0.5 degrees.

you may be onto something, but the seat angle will be on the slack side.

recon there also needs to be room out their for a bike that is not pushing the long travel and super slack angles game too hard, something that is still sharp in the handling dept ... especially if it is running as a SS and the rider will be spending a fair bit of time out of the saddle grinding up the climbs.

Just a quick question to all of you riding the 'new' LSG STR frames...

What size would you recommend for me, I am 1.9m tall (that said I am between a L and XL)

I want to use the bike for longer distances and using it for trial riding, I am leaning towards an XL

I am 1.78m and have only tested a medium frame ... the frame coming to me is a large, the medium was just a little too short in the reach.

What frame are you currently riding and how does the reach compare to the STR's geometry?

What size would you recommend for me, I am 1.9m tall (that said I am between a L and XL)

I want to use the bike for longer distances and using it for trial riding, I am leaning towards an XL

This is my stf 29

Build as a gravel grinder/hardtail.

Build was finished last year but living to close to proper trails my dual suspension always got the 1st pick.

So I brought mine to Africa / Drc to do some proper grinding.

Had to play with the setup a but but after racking up some miles I can honestly say the steel frame is a dream to ride! I've done a 70km trip and and must say it feels like this thing can go forever!

I am considering building another but with a 100mm fork so that I don't have to ride with a mouth-guard on the technical stuff back home.

So my build as follow:

Momsen stf 29 - size L - (i am 1,85)

carbon fork

Enve carbon stem - 110mm and enve swp 760mm h/bar

token 31.6 carbon post

fabric flat race titanium saddle

carbon 32mm(OD) hoops laced to chris king hubs

xtr m9000 drivetrain

xt m8000 brakes and pedals

11-42 cassette with 36 csixx chainring

spez lock-on grips

Total weight is 11,2kg

post-58842-0-72549600-1548253621_thumb.jpg

I am 1.78m and have only tested a medium frame ... the frame coming to me is a large, the medium was just a little too short in the reach.

What frame are you currently riding and how does the reach compare to the STR's geometry?

I have a 2012 Giant XTC frame, the geo is out dated, with a 71.5 HA and a top tube of 625, no real numbers on reach. That makes it difficult to judge the size, as my bike feel a little bit awkward on tight singletracks en steep downhills from the old geo.

given the post above by Dewalt https://community.bikehub.co.za/topic/166199-the-return-of-the-st-r-29-hardtail-steel-is-real/?p=3446972 and given he is a little shorter than you while running a 110mm stem, I would say go XL with a shorter stem?

I have a 2012 Giant XTC frame, the geo is out dated, with a 71.5 HA and a top tube of 625, no real numbers on reach. That makes it difficult to judge the size, as my bike feel a little bit awkward on tight singletracks en steep downhills from the old geo.

XL for sure. No doubt

This is my stf 29

Build as a gravel grinder/hardtail.

Build was finished last year but living to close to proper trails my dual suspension always got the 1st pick.

So I brought mine to Africa / Drc to do some proper grinding.

Had to play with the setup a but but after racking up some miles I can honestly say the steel frame is a dream to ride! I've done a 70km trip and and must say it feels like this thing can go forever!

I am considering building another but with a 100mm fork so that I don't have to ride with a mouth-guard on the technical stuff back home.

So my build as follow:

Momsen stf 29 - size L - (i am 1,85)

carbon fork

Enve carbon stem - 110mm and enve swp 760mm h/bar

token 31.6 carbon post

fabric flat race titanium saddle

carbon 32mm(OD) hoops laced to chris king hubs

xtr m9000 drivetrain

xt m8000 brakes and pedals

11-42 cassette with 36 csixx chainring

spez lock-on grips

Total weight is 11,2kg

More pics needed

More pics needed

Here you go

Some images I snapped while assembling/building the bike

(bike originally had an 20mm offset post, changed to zero offset, saddle changed to fabric, had a 100mm Thomson stem, changed to 110mm enve carbon, tyres were maxxis ardent skinwall's but they punctured to quick so fitted the vittorio's)

post-58842-0-72112100-1548336624_thumb.jpg

post-58842-0-75915300-1548336639_thumb.jpg

post-58842-0-64641800-1548336649_thumb.jpg

post-58842-0-02724700-1548336661_thumb.jpg

post-58842-0-96442000-1548336670_thumb.jpg

post-58842-0-07639700-1548336694_thumb.jpg

post-58842-0-26893400-1548336708_thumb.jpg

post-58842-0-24846600-1548336728_thumb.jpg