SA Customs

TrailWarrior

I waited for 6 weeks for a parcel from UK. It only showed up on tracking as in SA 5 weeks after it left UK. The hold up is at JIMC. Once it is scanned in there it spends maybe 2 days getting through customs. JIMC are the culprits.

• Replies 222
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

you mean the post office, nothing "lies at customs" - customs don't have your package.

once the declaration is submitted to customs, its released (or detained) in a matter of minutes or at the worse a few hours. most of the time its all electronic with a risk profile engine and no office even sees the paperwork, let alone the actual package.

you mean the post office, nothing "lies at customs" - customs don't have your package.

once the declaration is submitted to customs, its released (or detained) in a matter of minutes or at the worse a few hours. most of the time its all electronic with a risk profile engine and no office even sees the paperwork, let alone the actual package.

Actually it is the customs section within JIMC that is the hold up. Customs do not clear parcels in an expedited manner currently and retain custody of the parcel until they do.

Customs check the package and decide the value. If there is no invoice they then call for proof of value which can be submitted vis email to the local sorting centre. This is called for through a slip delivered to your address.

The declaration submitted to customs for mail items in not submitted until customs have assessed the value of the package and released it to the post office. The post office then notifies the recipient of the amount due via a slip sent to their address.

If the recipient then agrees, they go to the post office and pay and collect the parcel. In some instances EMS delivers together with the customs invoice.

At no stage do customs ask for a declaration to be submitted until they have assessed and released to the local sorting centre.

Maybe you are confusing post office with a courier service where the courier acts as your clearing agent?

TrailWorrior where are you based. I have on more than one occasion drove ro the international mail centre and fetched parcels directly from them even with status showing at customs they are behind the same counter just different sections

Oldtmr.............I'm stuck out in the stix. Rural Eastern Cape, Queenstown.......  :wacko:

Chaps!! Thank you for all your replies.

It would seem and become clear that I can "expect to see it, when I see it". After 4 emails sent to different departments yesterday I received a reply from a Debbie from SAPO customer services, but merely to tell me the tracking number (SA - according to and given by CRC when it lands in SA) is not valid???? The international tracking number says it is still in Amsterdam but on TRAKPAK it tells me the parcel has gone through the "in transit stage  and then It has landed in destination country, SA, awaiting clearance from customs??

So, I guess its just sitting tight??? I advised Debbie, I do not know now where to get the "correct" tracking number and hoping she can assist in any way.......( I have forwarded her the info as I have received it - correspondence up to the last known movement activity)  :whistling:  

Snip

, I do not know now where to get the "correct" tracking number 

Snip 

Read my post, it has the details on how to get your SA tracking number.

I've been bringing in goodies via airmail parcel post for too long to mention (Hint: model rockets in the Apollo era) and I can honestly say that never has it been worse than it is now, SAPO side. Absolutely frigging useless. Untracked parcels never arrive. Tracked parcels get held up at JIMC for infinity, one cant get any resolution. This is the poorest service possible.

Going courier is just too expensive for small parts, books and CD's etc but going courier (DHL, UPS etc not EMS!) means it going via other more efficient customs clearing channels that are handled by the agents.

Edited by kosmonooit

I've been bringing in goodies via airmail parcel post for too long to mention (Hint: model rockets in the Apollo era) and I can honestly say that never has it been worse than it is now, SAPO side. Absolutely frigging useless. Untracked parcels never arrive. Tracked parcels get held up at JIMC for infinity, one cant get any resolution. This is the poorest service possible.

Going courier is just too expensive for small parts, books and CD's etc but going courier (DHL, UPS etc not EMS!) means it going via other more efficient customs clearing channels that are handled by the agents.

It is terrible. Mark Barnes has made no difference at all.

Maybe it was worse during the strike 2 years ago when they had such a backlog they sent stuff to Cape Town without scanning it out. Truck was hijacked so they had no idea at all of what was stolen.

For smaller items that don't weigh much I us myus, a courier consolidator that sends by weight not volume. They can store parcels until it's worth sending them. Link here http://bit.ly/2luyZ7O I also use for companies that don't ship to SA.

I find this lowers the cost significantly and I get DHL 4 day service when they ship.

Anybody have a contact at SA Customs?

I have a parcel that I know has landed in the country and have been informed by the tracking status that it is lying at Customs.  :angry:

I need to get this parcel by Monday 20th next week the latest.....its important.....

BUT I'm starting to think what are the chances?? Only in Africa  :unsure: ......

I'm trying to understand the reference that point you to the 'only in Africa' part of your post?

My mother in lawoften sends parcels thru from Oz and gets frustrated if there is a Customs delay/ cost on our side - on probing, we find that the system is pretty much the same Down Under........

When we get out more, we find that 'only in Africa' is more often than not a vast exaggeration

Agree 100%

My hobbies (slot cars and rc cars/quads/heli's) mean that I buy a lot overseas, especially on eBay. I have brought in well over 500 parcels through the PO in the last 10 years.

Never lost a single parcel until early 2016, since then I have lost over 10 parcels. Taken by some thieving bastard at customs or the PO, absolutely disgraceful.

I now combine orders and use a courier. Much less stress, but costly.

After the boxing match at SoNA 2017, JZ, READ something about rapid economic transformation...

*Just thinking aloud...will my business benefit from from faster turnaround time for goods at customs?

*Just thinking aloud...will my business benefit from from faster turnaround time for goods at customs?

Try explaining that to zoomer.

Turns out DHL also have problems. Apparently no email or phone number for me to request commercial invoice. When I suggested they send a van with a note requesting info to my address I was met with a stunned silence.

Left US supplier on 27/1.

post-35786-0-18021600-1487082346_thumb.jpg

Turns out DHL also have problems. Apparently no email or phone number for me to request commercial invoice. When I suggested they send a van with a note requesting info to my address I was met with a stunned silence.

Left US supplier on 27/1.

attachicon.gifPS1058.jpg

Good morning

Could you give me some pointers/guidelines on importing?

I am looking at importing photography equipment from the US. This would be under my business. Shipment will be through UPS to a physical address here.

When does one need an importing lisence? If so, where to get one?

Does the same procedure apply as everyone is battling with? (ie I can't afford the equipment lying in a warehouse for up to 4 weeks before I supply a client)

Do you have to use a clearing agent, or go at it yourself?

I had a look at the SARS list of importing goods - not too sure what they are saying ito what I am bringing in. Apparently no duties, only VAT (handling fees) at 15%?

Any other info that I have to be aware of?

Thanks

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk