SA Customs

TrailWarrior

• Replies 222
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Good morning

Could you give me some pointers/guidelines on importing?

I am looking at importing photography equipment from the US. This would be under my business. Shipment will be through UPS to a physical address here.

When does one need an importing lisence? If so, where to get one?

Does the same procedure apply as everyone is battling with? (ie I can't afford the equipment lying in a warehouse for up to 4 weeks before I supply a client)

Do you have to use a clearing agent, or go at it yourself?

I had a look at the SARS list of importing goods - not too sure what they are saying ito what I am bringing in. Apparently no duties, only VAT (handling fees) at 15%?

Any other info that I have to be aware of?

Thanks

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk

You need to phone SARS and talk to them.

UPS could also give you some clarity.

Here you could get wrong info.

If you are not sure of what you are doing - don't - as it could cost you a lot of money.

It does not help telling customs you did not know - not going to help at all and on top of it you could get fined if goods are not declared properly beforehand.

You need to do your homework.

• 2 weeks later...

AND SO! I order a saddle on sale with a recommended retail sell of R2800 for a total of R1060.00 incl delivery from CRC. Finally on the 23rd day from order date, I am informed it is lying at my local PO and I need to pay them R519.24!! customs, taxes etc. ---  :wacko:

A bit excessive or am I naive!?!!!

Edited by TrailWarrior

AND SO! I order a saddle on sale with a recommended retail sell of R2800 for a total of R1060.00 incl delivery from CRC. Finally on the 23rd day from order date, I am informed it is lying at my local PO and I need to pay them R519.24!! customs, taxes etc. ---  :wacko:

defiantly excessive.   there should be no duties on bike spares and you should only be charged VAT and handling fees (R20 - R40). 

SJOE! Its times like this that I want to jump out of my positive shell and stoop to a lower level of bullsh*t....

If I have a problem, then I am informed I must write a letter stating my complaint and case, send it with a copy of my ID and the parcel back to Customs (700+km) away and then there is a waiting period, minimum of 3 weeks to get an answer! HAVE YOU EVA!!!!?

Held to ransom!! WTF!!!

Not a happy chappy!!

SJOE! Its times like this that I want to jump out of my positive shell and stoop to a lower level of bullsh*t....

If I have a problem, then I am informed I must write a letter stating my complaint and case, send it with a copy of my ID and the parcel back to Customs (700+km) away and then there is a waiting period, minimum of 3 weeks to get an answer! HAVE YOU EVA!!!!?

Held to ransom!! WTF!!!

Not a happy chappy!!

I work for a company that pays SAPO around R250K a month for courier services. When the big boss and I ordered cycling related stuff from overseas and the parcel got stuck at JIMC in a container, where it still is lying dormant one month post arrival in SA ,(backlog is the excuse) all hell broke loose. The boss is so peeved off he seriously considering  terminating our company's SAPO  arrangement as of tomorrow seeing that this is our financial year end. Guess some SAPO employees will have have to source money for their kid's school fees from elsewhere. There has been no reason given for the root cause of the backlog. "Laziness", however, does spring to mind. 

This parcel arrived at JIMC on January 28 according to the senders tracking system, before it got a SA II number issued:

post-35786-0-16687300-1488184062_thumb.jpg

19 days to get put into a cage in Johannesburg, another 7 days to actually get to Cape Town and who knows how long to get from Epping Industria to Hout Bay.

Moral of the story: Don't import if you do not have patience.

Hopefully the surround sound I get through my amp using this box to split sound from picture on the HDMI output from my Android based TV will be worth the wait. At least my neighbours will feel the vibrations from the sub-woofer.

14% on invoiced price (shipping not included) plus max R40 handling fee.

I would dispute it.

Did you declare it correctly and do you have invoice?

Lost my first parcel in about 4 years, was shipped from the UK on 16 Dec without tracking number.  SAPO say they have no record of it.  Fortunately supplier said they will declare the loss with UKPO and claim and have resent the goods, this time with a tracking number.

It is definitely getting worse as am a regular importer and parcels are often taking over 2 months to arrive where it use to be half that time or less.

Step 1 - pay the amount and get your saddle.

Step 2 - when ordering from CRC next time, take the courier option. Does cost a bit more but you won't have these problems.

Step 3 - once you've paid SAPO and got your goods/invoice, check the line items, which should show a handling fee, VAT (ATV is the correct term) and perhaps customs duty. That's where you will pick up what they have charged you. Then come back and advise what it shows - otherwise we're guessing at values.

14% on invoiced price (shipping not included) plus max R40 handling fee.

I would dispute it.

Did you declare it correctly and do you have invoice?

It's 14% of the Invoice value * 1.1, i.e. R1060 * 1.1 * 0.14, and not just 14%.

The R1060 paid doesn't mean that's the invoice value used when clearing. If payment was made with a credit card, Paypal, or similar then it's subject to the bank rates, whereas SARS use their own system.

Can a saddle not be seen as textiles?

If it is made of leather or covered in a fabric, they may have charged textile rates. This would be about in line with your 50% on paid for price.

Ask them.

I think CRC Used the R2800 Recommended price and not R1080 to declare it.

If it is made of leather or covered in a fabric, they may have charged textile rates. This would be about in line with your 50% on paid for price.

Ask them.

NO! It has its own tarrif Classification. 8714

Ask them.

There is a little leather...yes.

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/za/en/selle-italia-maxflite-gel-flow-saddle/rp-prod25467

The figures R288 customs. R188 vat R43 Handling = R519 to SAPO

And I see they have changed their RSP to R1562

:blink:

Thanks for all the feed here guys! I went and collected the saddle but very peeved! Will definitely be looking for other clearing agents in future. Paying a little extra wouldn't be an issue if it means it is better!

Edited by TrailWarrior

NO! It has its own tarrif Classification. 8714

I was just asking... no need for exclamation marks! hahahahahaha

That R288 figure is weird.

I have a couple of parcels due from CRC. I sincerely hope I don't fall afoul of SAPO like you have.

A fork, some grips and some SS drop bar brake levers. I hope it's reasonable.

I have budgeted for 2100 zar but hoping its closer to R1600.

There is a little leather...yes.

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/za/en/selle-italia-maxflite-gel-flow-saddle/rp-prod25467

The figures R288 customs. R188 vat R43 Handling = R519 to SAPO

And I see they have changed their RSP to R1562

:blink:

Thanks for all the feed here guys! I went and collected the saddle but very peeved! Will definitely be looking for other clearing agents in future. Paying a little extra wouldn't be an issue if it means it is better!

Did you buy the saddle at R979.49 + R109.49 for transport? That's the price when following the link.

post-1372-0-03383300-1488198009_thumb.png