SA Customs

TrailWarrior

I'd rather pay a premium to use DHL than dealing with the SAPO.

All of my past orders via DHL, 3-4 days max.

• Replies 222
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Same same, DHL the only way. If it's more expensive after DHL, I buy local ( provided the importers decided the parts worthy of their ongoing and forecasted profit margin)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My experience so far: This year I have ordered a huge amount of stuff from overseas - mainly China. I have already received 20 separate packages via SAPO with more still on the way. Some small packages were delivered to my post box at home with nothing extra payable. Some packages went to my local PO with no duties or VAT payable; some went to the PO and I had to pay duties and VAT based on the value stated on the parcel. A few of them required a trip to Capemail to collect where you have to produce proof of purchase from whatever website so they can see the actual amount that was paid as the Chinese generally understate the values by quite a lot. The delivery time has varied between one and two months from ordering, with most of it being spent while the package is already in the country. So far, not a single package has gone missing.

I spoke to one of the guys at Capemail and he was saying there is so much stuff coming in from overseas because it is so easy to order online these days, that they have a huge backlog. They randomly decide what gets inspected and charged for and what goes straight to the Post Office as they are not able to inspect everything.

I have found all the staff there to be extremely helpful with queries on the location of a parcel as long as it has been processed. If it has not yet been processed, then there is not much they can do, due to the volume of stuff in their warehouse.

Good morning

my tracking has just updated!

Tue, 13.06.17 22:43

South Africa

The shipment has left the import parcel center in the destination country.

Could someone deceiver what this means? is it headed to my PO now or another sorting facility ?

Good morning

my tracking has just updated!

Tue, 13.06.17 22:43

South Africa

The shipment has left the import parcel center in the destination country.

Could someone deceiver what this means? is it headed to my PO now or another sorting facility ?

It has probably left JIMC and is on its way to Capemail where it will spend another couple of weeks until it gets processed.

Anybody have a contact at SA Customs?

I have a parcel that I know has landed in the country and have been informed by the tracking status that it is lying at Customs.  :angry:

I need to get this parcel by Monday 20th next week the latest.....its important.....

BUT I'm starting to think what are the chances?? Only in Africa ?  :unsure: ......

from Columbia ??

Got a parcel logged on the system 19 May, finally went to customs on 30 May and I see today that is on its way back to JIMC as of 13 June.... so am expecting at least another week before it gets to my PO... so will be close to 5 weeks since arriving in the country and 7 weeks since purchase!!

Also waiting for 4 packages (2 from CRC and 2 from bike24) only been 7 days so far...

What grinds my gears is that I paid 40 Euros shipping for one item at Bike24 and still it gets sent to SAPO from DHL DE. - Bollocks 

Got a parcel logged on the system 19 May, finally went to customs on 30 May and I see today that is on its way back to JIMC as of 13 June.... so am expecting at least another week before it gets to my PO... so will be close to 5 weeks since arriving in the country and 7 weeks since purchase!!

CRC?

Also waiting for 4 packages (2 from CRC and 2 from bike24) only been 7 days so far...

What grinds my gears is that I paid 40 Euros shipping for one item at Bike24 and still it gets sent to SAPO from DHL DE. - Bollocks 

i got fooled into thinking DHL DE is DHL and paid 50 euro for my shipping. little did i know it'll be coming through SAPO :(

i got fooled into thinking DHL DE is DHL and paid 50 euro for my shipping. little did i know it'll be coming through SAPO :(

I think however after doing some research, that 19.95 Euro is shipping the rest is insurance.

Was the value of your order more than 600 Euro?