Tiny hole in sidewall adjacent to rim: Won't seal

ByronH

Hey guys

Relatively new Maxxis Ikon  EXO TR tyre, still lots of life left.

Excellent tyre

However, teeny tiny hole almost immediately adjacent to the rim on the sidewall is leaking air, especially at 2 bar+ pressure.

I Have put in fresh sealant, and can literally hear it sloshing around in the tyre. However, the sealant (Joe's) just doesnt seem to actually want to close the hole. In fact, it almost seems that the sealant is not getting to the hole, despite me spinning the wheel continually. I resorted to even trying to syringe some sealant from the outside onto the hole.

So, is this worthy of a mushroom plug (even though its so close to the rim and teeny tiny)? Or should I actually lie the bike on its side, and let the sealant immerse the sidewall?

Hi, I find this very weird, as the same thing happened to me on my one Ikon tire. It took a long time to find it, as it is a strange place. My rim is 100% and doubled checked that for any problems that may have caused this. I used a small plug to seal the hole, and it is still holding after 500km.

No for the strange part, I bought a new Ikon tire for my other bike, and the exact same thing happened after about 200km. Different wheelset. Might be a problem with the tires?? Also managed to fix this tire with a plug in the hole

Edit : I used these plugs post-14677-0-18535800-1487570187_thumb.jpg

Think of it logically. If you spin the wheel, the centrifugal force sends the sealant to the inside of the tread, away from where you need it in this case.

Remove the wheel, hold it with the leak in the 6 O'clock position and shake it backwards and forwards, i.e. trying to get the sealant where you need it.

Alternatively, lie the wheel on it's side and tilt it so that the sealant runs to where you need it.

You need to get your head inside the tyre....no man, not literally ;)

Good luck

Patch from inside with normal patch and glue.

Just make sure its scrubbed / sanded / very clean before trying to vulcanise

This type of cut is almost impossible to seal with sealant only, as this is the part of the tire that flexes the most when riding. Plugs have a 50% chance of success and if you use one coat it with normal solution before insertion. The best option is the normal patch on the inside as mentioned before.

Michelin make a tubeless repair kit designed for the inside of a tyre rather than a tube. Perfect use of that to save your tyre.

Don't use a plug on the sidewall. It's ok on the trail to get home or finish the race but do it properly with a patch.

Take a needle and thread(shoe thread works well but any cotton thread will do) and stich the hole/cut closed, then patch from the inside.

Thanks guys!

I'm gonna try the patch from inside method... the hole is so tiny, I dont want to compromise the integrity of the sidewall much more. We are referring to a normal patch right? like the one you use on a tube?

How does something like this happen? 

I am wondering if it is some kind of snakebite from the rim? or a stray nail/thorn which nabbed me while I was riding through thick, freshly cut grass... coz I noticed a few other thorn inserts on the tread part of the tyre, close to where this tiny sidewall hole is.

This type of cut is almost impossible to seal with sealant only, as this is the part of the tire that flexes the most when riding. Plugs have a 50% chance of success and if you use one coat it with normal solution before insertion. The best option is the normal patch on the inside as mentioned before.

eish... was hoping the sealant would do the trick, as to get the tyre back onto my rim after taking it off is such a pain in the neck I would rather get the lbs to do it... 

Michelin make a tubeless repair kit designed for the inside of a tyre rather than a tube. Perfect use of that to save your tyre.

Don't use a plug on the sidewall. It's ok on the trail to get home or finish the race but do it properly with a patch.

Ya I was tempted to use a small plug... but its at such an awkward part of the tyre... literally less than a mm away from the rim

Caused by snake bite type compression of side wall against the rim usually I think. I did this to a Schwalbe tyre recently  - two holes - one in the tread and one in line with it at the sidewall on the rim. A plug worked to get me home.

Archived