Biltong

AlanD

It's a small step from there, to pancetta and many other wonderful things. 

Well I see things will indeed be interesting!!! Just a quick read and I see pancetta can be made without rolling it up (I reckon a rolled piece will be too heavy for the dryer's beams). But having a piece of pancetta on hand will mean that I'll have to step up my cooking game ASAP!!!

• Replies 304
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Well I see things will indeed be interesting!!! Just a quick read and I see pancetta can be made without rolling it up (I reckon a rolled piece will be too heavy for the dryer's beams). But having a piece of pancetta on hand will mean that I'll have to step up my cooking game ASAP!!!

and you wanna know the best thing? You can get a full pork belly, cut it into 2" wide strips and hang one piece at a time. Put the remainder in the fridge or freezer, and bring a new one out every week or so... 

Endless supply... 

Then share recipe here :drool:

Will as soon as I can get to my mom. Seeing them again next month

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

You okes suck man, I never thought I would be nostalgic for Oros, but all that talk about Oros has made me...nostalgic for Oros.

Anyway, back to the topic du jour. Made some lekker billies from corned silverside, which I have a sh*tload of; came out real good, even though the meat was out the freezer. Defrosting for another batch...

Whooohoooo!!! I too am one of the cool kids now. Picked up the biltong dryer yesterday and the first batch is in. I deliberately cut the pieces fairly small and about 8-10mm thick in an attempt to get the first batch dried in record time (I have a bet running with a work colleague on who's biltong is better and the results is to be judged tomorrow by our director, and a bottle of whiskey is up for grabs).

Anyhow, after one hell of a search for spice I eventually found a pre-mixed spice from Woolworths. The main ingredients looks like the normal stuff, Coriander, salt, pepper, brown sugar.

Method: Let the meat marinade in a mix of Worcester sauce, brown vinegar and a light coat of the spices. The batch currently drying was marinated for about 3 hours (I ran out of hooks to hang the rest), and the second batch marinated over night, this morning I took it out of the marinade and placed on a plate in the fridge and will be hung tonight.

PS. Bought silver-side from Toit's Butchery in Centurion at R98.00 p/kg.

post-19039-0-34048400-1489040365_thumb.jpg

Whooohoooo!!! I too am one of the cool kids now. Picked up the biltong dryer yesterday and the first batch is in. I deliberately cut the pieces fairly small and about 8-10mm thick in an attempt to get the first batch dried in record time (I have a bet running with a work colleague on who's biltong is better and the results is to be judged tomorrow by our director, and a bottle of whiskey is up for grabs).

Anyhow, after one hell of a search for spice I eventually found a pre-mixed spice from Woolworths. The main ingredients looks like the normal stuff, Coriander, salt, pepper, brown sugar.

Method: Let the meat marinade in a mix of Worcester sauce, brown vinegar and a light coat of the spices. The batch currently drying was marinated for about 3 hours (I ran out of hooks to hang the rest), and the second batch marinated over night, this morning I took it out of the marinade and placed on a plate in the fridge and will be hung tonight.

attachicon.gifBiltong.jpg

Looking good. Hope you drained the excess vinegar/sauce before marinating or it could overpower the taste.

My fists batch I lightly seasoned but found it lacked a little flavor so the batches after that I put on quite a lot and rubbed it in, much better.

attachicon.gifBiltong.jpg

what make dryer is that?

Looking good. Hope you drained the excess vinegar/sauce before marinating or it could overpower the taste.

My fists batch I lightly seasoned but found it lacked a little flavor so the batches after that I put on quite a lot and rubbed it in, much better.

No I did not, but it is very lightly poured. I was advised by the butcher that draining is not needed. I'll see how it comes out and if overwhelming I'll drain next time (probably on Monday)

what make dryer is that?

It is the Biltong Machine from Trappers Trading, https://www.trappers.co.za/biltong-machine. It seems decently built but R999.00 for a machine that costs R400.00 somewhere else I think is a bit silly. PS. I received it as a gift 

No I did not, but it is very lightly poured. I was advised by the butcher that draining is not needed. I'll see how it comes out and if overwhelming I'll drain next time (probably on Monday)

It is the Biltong Machine from Trappers Trading, https://www.trappers.co.za/biltong-machine. It seems decently built but R999.00 for a machine that costs R400.00 somewhere else I think is a bit silly. PS. I received it as a gift 

cool. thanks