Do eBikes belong on the mountain?

Bike Hub Features

I think you will find lots of people who sit in this slot. This means we will see lots of people withdifficult to substantiate yet emotive arguements for the foreseeable future.

Fun times we are in for.

pick a side and be a dick about it, IOW. 

• Replies 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Wayne Schell. Should have seen him riding around on either an Ibis Ripley or a Mojo 3 in baby blue. He's always on Tygerberg. Lately he's been testing more bikes for his youtjoop channel. Really lekker oke, and blitzvinnig when he wants to be. 

yup that's him. rode behind him one day at Conters. he r quick.

yup that's him. rode behind him one day at Conters. he r quick.

Yeah. My claim to fame is that I was able to stay with him down Paarl playground line on our shuttle day. Okay, I'd partaken in a bit of libations before that particular run... But as soon as it got to the A line and more tech bits... took off like a hare. 

Where's this trail in the video, didn't catch that?

couple of different trails. Didn't watch the whole video, but first trail was Contermans. There was also Jonkers in there. Looked like Firehut Trail?

couple of different trails. Didn't watch the whole video, but first trail was Contermans. There was also Jonkers in there. Looked like Firehut Trail?

thanx

Yeah, first one, also didn't watch the whole video.

Seems like I must make the effort to go ride Contermans then.

Edited by stefmeister

No. LOL. 

See here. 

I really enjoy his vids and reviews ..... but let's be seriaaass here .... how can we take a guy who calls Zebra's "Zeeebras" like a 'Merican :P

I think you will find lots of people who sit in this slot. This means we will see lots of people withdifficult to substantiate yet emotive arguements for the foreseeable future.

Fun times we are in for.

I'm in this slot, it's fantastic tech but able bodied people should be able to make it up and down on their own steam. It just feels like cheating.

For me, whatever makes you happy is cool. Clearly they are addressing an area of the market that makes folks part with big cash to have one and seems to be a segmant we dont know about.

Like having your wife enjoy a ride with the boys or having a clydesdale doing 130km at 30 kmh averages, which he could never do. Or an old bullet able to stay with the group and his mates when he isn't that strong or fit anymore. Or enjoy the trails he never could quite get up to the top on.

Whats with all this judgemental stuff - Its got two wheels and pedals....

Its like the MTB and Road thing - you are all cyclists.

FWIW, i am near Cedar Square Concept Store and they had three in the window so asked Sean if he is selling lots of them and he reckons they are in huge demand. Cant get enough. 

Who is willing to, at the outset of the ride, be the knob who tells the e-bike rider - "sorry you can't ride with us cause you on an e-bike"? Or "You're cheating"?

Like in the days of the first MTB all the puritans who tried to get them banned. That worked really well, didnt it?

Its making people happy and getting folks on to bikes and outside in to the outdoors and experiencing what we all love.

Its also pretty much the future, the technology is going to get better and they will become part of the landscape of cycling.

Dont be luddites

I was prejudiced against E-bikes on the trails, till I met a gentleman, who has serious health issues on the Berg'nBush. He was riding an E-bike. He started in my batch (by no friggen means in contention for a podium, robbing no-one-that-cares of a GC position.)

So, for a person, with limited lifespan, facing serious health issues to be able to share in the joy that this sport is supposed to be, to get out on the trails hand have some fun, share in the banter and enjoy the great vista's we experience...I have no issue with that.

From a marketing perspective, this makes fark-all sense, who would want to make and sell 10 E-bikes a year, for the odd impaired person?

Other than the impairment factor I see no other valid reason for E-bikes to be out on the trails. Do I hate them? Probably not, unless it increases doucchery in equal amounts the battery assists you to get up the hill.

Other than the impairment factor I see no other valid reason for E-bikes to be out on the trails. Do I hate them? Probably not, unless it increases doucchery in equal amounts the battery assists you to get up the hill.

For me, they hold a very large appeal. But they have to get better looking (apart from the Levo) before I'd seriously consider one if I were going to buy a new bike. 

If Giant had a Reign E, but implemented like the Levo instead of that bloody awful battery that the current Full-E has. 

The appeal for me is like others have said - smash out multiple laps with the same effort that it takes me to do one at my current fitness level, so I can focus more on the bits I like - the downs. Yes, increased fitness will help with this as well, but the fact is that I'll always be able to do more laps on an e-bike than I would be able to on a normal bike. That, to me, is awesome. 

E-Bikes definitely do not belong on mountain trails.  It has been hard enough for mountain bikers to get access to some trails without adding a motorised option to the objectors arsenal.

If you cannot get up and down the hills under your own steam then stay off the trails. Don't spoil the access for those who can.

If strava if your only objection to an e-bike on the trails then you really are not seeing the bigger picture.

SANParks so far has no problem with them. Shock, I know...

In fact if it allows people with disabilities, health related issues etc to enjoy the outdoors, they welcome them.

Strava etc.. no comment. Pffft, strava.

Edit: Oh crap! Did this post serjaaasly go to page 13 - since yesterday?!

Edited by (Deon)

Ok I will bite.

E-Bikes can be overridden, and they do get modified. A rider told me the other day he has his spaz setup to do 45km/h, and it was a very simple software thing to do. This scares me. The rider did note he is not a chop and does not ride up behind people and "force" them to move over.

Then I met a guy on a supposed e-bike (It has a throttle option as part of the build) who has it clocking 75km/h, the bike weighs in at 48kgs. He was on the cycle lane, and his business partner had just come past in the road, taking up a whole lane, not wearing a helmet and holding up cars on a dangerous and quick section of road. Let's call him Mr Chop. 

Now the guy I was chatting to noted that they have ridden just about most of the popular trails in the greater CT region with these things (These things = to motorbikes I say, due to having a throttle) ...... long conversation later, him being very polite following my jibes at his motorbike, he decides he has to roll. This freaking thing accelerated like no one business.... I recon it could give many motorbikes a go over a short  / medium distance.

The last bike I am describing should most certainly not be allowed on the trails, nor on the cycle lanes!

Ok, then you get this.

If the bike brands allow this type of mod, even if they make it available through software/ports etc then they really are going to kill the idea even before it's taken hold. 

How foolish and short sighted. For what, bragging rights?

No throttles.

Ok, then you get this.

If the bike brands allow this type of mod, even if they make it available through software/ports etc then they really are going to kill the idea even before it's taken hold. 

How foolish and short sighted. For what, bragging rights?

No throttles.

I don't think they allow it at all. I think it's a workaround within the controller itself where you spoof it to send more current to the motor and remove the limiter. Could be wrong, but htat's what I suspect is happening. Not that they condone it, per se. 

Like putting a different map on your ECU, essentially.