Do eBikes belong on the mountain?

Bike Hub Features

• Replies 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

My intention with the article was for it to be a departure point for collaborative debate, which is certainly has.

Would like to thank those who have had real-world experiences with partners using e-bikes – due to health or fitness reasons – and benefiting, for their contributions. Adds substance to my estimate that this is certainly a great ebike benefit.

Trail damage potential and access issues and arguments, I do believe my original conjecture about these have stood up to scrutiny. I was virulently anti e-bike two years ago, but experiences with friends riding them, have been illuminating. 

Oh. For a bit of context on the whole "speed" thing. Patrick (of Tygerberg MTB trail build fame) has recently had a PR on the way up to the Conters Mast. His time (on the Levo) is now just marginally faster than Wayne Schell's (the bloke in the videos) on his NORMAL bike. 

So ja. There you have it. 

My intention with the article was for it to be a departure point for collaborative debate, which is certainly has.

Would like to thank those who have had real-world experiences with partners using e-bikes – due to health or fitness reasons – and benefiting, for their contributions. Adds substance to my estimate that this is certainly a great ebike benefit.

Trail damage potential and access issues and arguments, I do believe my original conjecture about these have stood up to scrutiny. I was virulently anti e-bike two years ago, but experiences with friends riding them, have been illuminating. 

HOW DARE YOU BE ACCOMMODATING OF OTHER PEOPLES' VIEWPOINTS AND CHANGE YOUR OPINION!!!

Edit: Font change 

Edited by Myles Mayhew

Damn, Rob. That's a shame... 

damn, I thought it would be something juicy.

Oh... "METAL" 

Hahahahaha! I read "MENTAL" first time seeing the original post from carbon29er.

HOW DARE YOU BE ACCOMMODATING OF OTHER PEOPLES' VIEWPOINTS AND CHANGE YOUR OPINION!!!

Edit: Font change

Changing one's view is like magic - no one should be able to see it happen. For shame...

I still think e-bikes are motorbikes. Whether they are suitable for trails is an entirely different matter.

And if anyone sees my mate Mamil storming around on a trail near you on one, please call the paramedics. I will die of embarrassment.

He he ... thor i reckon i could take you on one of these e bikes for sure. 22kmph uphill with hardly any effort and still accelerating!

But the fiscus will not allow. I have 2 great bikes and i reckon i'd buy a new wheelset for the mtb before i got an ebike.

Changing one's view is like magic - no one should be able to see it happen. For shame...

I still think e-bikes are motorbikes. Whether they are suitable for trails is an entirely different matter.

And if anyone sees my mate Mamil storming around on a trail near you on one, please call the paramedics. I will die of embarrassment.

Worst case scenario - you're bombing up the hill on your e-bike, an extra 300 watts assisting you up the gradient - and some oke on a pedal bike yells STRAVA and comes past ....

Really? As your argument is so weak your retort is to belittling me? Arse first? Clearly you have not read any of my posts on this subject on this thread except the one I responded to your "Test drive and you'll love it" post.  Which is about as relevant as telling me to go to church regularly.

I have consistently stated that trails use is up to the land owner's discretion.

I have no interest in riding either a mountain bike nor a motorised mountain bike as I am banned from the trails.

I do however have a brain and can use it to inform myself. As a matter of course I do not comment without understanding the topic at hand.

Have you ever ridden an e-bike?