Do eBikes belong on the mountain?

Bike Hub Features

Jislaaik - just taken a Scott E-bike for a spin at my LBS - oh my goodness.

If I took one of these on the trails I would be dead in a week. A good thing the barrier to entry is so high because if these were on the trails in any numbers I wonder how much damage the trail would take.

I want one. No I don't. But I do.

Did you take it for a spin on the trails, or just in the parking lot? VERY different when riding on a trail. And no, the scott / spaz / giant e-mtb's do not "rip up the trail". Yes, you can accelerate faster, but they do no more damage to the trails. 

Edited by Myles Mayhew

• Replies 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Personally I would love one in my quiver...

I am reasonably fit and enjoy both the climbs and the downs.

I am fortunate to have bicycles catering for both.

But I see the Levo as my chair-lift... What is the difference between pedal assist

and what they have in Europe where you get wafted to the top seated in comfort to just bomb back down?

We dont have that luxury here so in my opinion this is the next best thing.

I watched some guys in Jonkers several weeks ago on Levo's and was very very envious

of the fun they were having................ these guys are A LOT fitter than myself but there was no ways they could have done the multiple runs they were able to fit in!

I'm all for them personally!

Exactly my view. 

With this...

:drool:

Yes, they do belong on them mountains

http://14761-presscdn-0-15.pagely.netdna-cdn.com/wp-content/uploads/sites/2/2016/06/Cannondale-Moterra-First-Look-1-1140x760.jpg

I see this is the common shape of ebikes.

However

this one :drool:  :drool:

Rotwild R.X+ FS 27.5 EVOhttp://14761-presscdn-0-15.pagely.netdna-cdn.com/wp-content/uploads/sites/2/2015/11/Rotwild-R.X-FS-27.5-Evo-5-von-11-1-810x540.jpg

IMO the Rotwild, Levo & Scott are the best looking iterations. 

New-Scott-E-Spark-700-Plus-TUNED-2017-ElAnd then the Orange. Based on the Alpine 160. Which, for me, sounds WONDERFUL!

http://singletrackworld.com/wp-content/blogs.dir/1/files/2017/01/Strange-e-16010-640x450.jpg

One word. FUGLY.

http://14761-presscdn-0-15.pagely.netdna-cdn.com/wp-content/uploads/sites/2/2016/06/Cannondale-Moterra-First-Look-1-1140x760.jpg

And a MUCH better version from Giant for 2017. The first one was fuuuuuuuuugly.

Full-E-plus-1.jpg?width=2000&quality=90&

Just wondering how these bikes are regulated on the trails.Im sure that plays a role where in some countries they ok,others they allowed on their own trails and some places they banned.

For marshals and trail builders it's hard enough controlling rouge riders.Now you have to worry is that bike pedal assist,full on electric or close to motor bike.Then do you say only the specialized version is ok but the giant bike is not etc.

And what if the bikes can switch between modes from pedal assist to full on motorbike?

Edited by stringbean

Just wondering how these bikes are regulated on the trails.Im sure that plays a role where in some countries they ok,others they allowed on their own trails and some places they banned.

For marshals and trail builders it's hard enough controlling rouge riders.Now you have to worry is that bike pedal assist,full on electric or close to motor bike.They do you say only the specialized version is ok but the giant bike is not etc.

And what if the bikes can switch between modes from pedal assist to full on motorbike?

That would be a problem, and one that the manufacturers (Giant / spaz / scott etc) woudn't want to encounter as it would endanger not only access, but sales, as they'd no longer be classified as e-mtbs. They'd be categorised as motorbikes. 

Regulation on the trails should be (IMO) as per the regulations on e-MTB's. IE within the EU / US max speed / power ratings and with pedal assist only. As soon as it goes outside of pedal assist, it's no longer an e-MTB, and if they started making them that way, they'd not be able to cater to the MTB user group. Taxes & licenses would start being required to ride them in the areas they're being sold. And then as they're a licensed "motorbike" they wouldn't be allowed on trails. 

So ja, it's a problem - IF it goes that way. But IMO it won't, as they'd be shooting themselves in the foot. 

If the EU & US legislation changes, though... 

Edited by Myles Mayhew

With this...

I see this is the common shape of ebikes.

However

this one :drool:  :drool:

Rotwild R.X+ FS 27.5 EVOhttp://14761-presscdn-0-15.pagely.netdna-cdn.com/wp-content/uploads/sites/2/2015/11/Rotwild-R.X-FS-27.5-Evo-5-von-11-1-810x540.jpg

Yeah, that bottom one look much better integrated design-wise

Sweet

At my lbs at the moment whenever the is a potential sale of a ebike the FIRST question customers ask is "will you un- restrict it for me if I buy one"

yeah IMO that's just silly. 

Did you take it for a spin on the trails, or just in the parking lot? VERY different when riding on a trail. And no, the scott / spaz / giant e-mtb's do not "rip up the trail". Yes, you can accelerate faster, but they do no more damage to the trails. 

They do not rip up the trails, but by virtue of the average person being able to ride longer and further than they would on a normal bike, they do damage a trail more.

I also don't agree with the "let's get fat handicapped people out on the trail mentality"

Is it really wise that my 70 year old dodgy heart diabetic spinal fusion couch potato grandpa can now get to countermand black downhill?

Just around the block and up onto a bumpy pavement. I could feel that it would be a LOT easier on the trail than my Merida - just a revolution of the pedal and the bike just eats up the bumps.

It's heavier, can ride more and further, faster ... just seems logical to me it would put more wear and tear on the trail.

Felt like Nino Schurter when I got back to the shop ....

I was prejudiced against E-bikes on the trails, till I met a gentleman, who has serious health issues on the Berg'nBush. He was riding an E-bike. He started in my batch (by no friggen means in contention for a podium, robbing no-one-that-cares of a GC position.)

So, for a person, with limited lifespan, facing serious health issues to be able to share in the joy that this sport is supposed to be, to get out on the trails hand have some fun, share in the banter and enjoy the great vista's we experience...I have no issue with that.

From a marketing perspective, this makes fark-all sense, who would want to make and sell 10 E-bikes a year, for the odd impaired person?

Other than the impairment factor I see no other valid reason for E-bikes to be out on the trails. Do I hate them? Probably not, unless it increases doucchery in equal amounts the battery assists you to get up the hill.

This guy does ok ... sure he is riding street, but there is also that guy that rides the epic....

WH's post RE his wife with diabetes .... I would 100% support the use here.

I don't think they allow it at all. I think it's a workaround within the controller itself where you spoof it to send more current to the motor and remove the limiter. Could be wrong, but htat's what I suspect is happening. Not that they condone it, per se. 

Like putting a different map on your ECU, essentially. 

you simply change the wheelsize on the onboard computer to speed it up ... then there are dedicated sites that will assist you. For the Levo, there is a German site that will pimp your ride with a override .....

With this...

Fugly......funny thing is that many a year ago, Cannondale tried to get into the motorbike market, unfortunately this was a disaster for the company.

http://www.pulpmx.com/sites/default/files/u165/csteel50_%231.jpg

Have you taken one for a ride?

I have one lined up in the near future to experiment with.

It is irrelevant whether or not I ride one. That is not the debate. The debate is around access to the same areas motorbikes are banned but bicycles are allowed.

Oh, and the stealing of strava KOMs.

Seriously? You're like a person who sees an article on social media, doesn't read it, but dives into the comment section arse first to give his uniformed opinion.

If you actually ride an e-MTB you will see and understand that it isn't the threat to the trails that you think it is.

You're poorly informed, but want to take a hard stance on this subject.