Heart Rate

Maybe ask Swen for a refund.....from Esther Suss' website - seit Sommer 2016 mache ich meine Trainingspläne selber (since Summer of 2016 I do my own trainingplan.) 

And Malcolm Lange was her manager - so unless that's changed, I doubt it would be Sven...

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I tend to do short 15km high intensity rides with lots of climbing and fast descents.

Often my heart rate is sustained at over 90% and sometimes even just over 100% for short bursts. I tend to ride as fast as possible all the time. Is it wise to exercise like this or should I consider taking it a bit easier? Are there any benefits to this kind of training apart from the Adrenalin rush?

Cheers ! :)

Adjust your zones

It's not accurate

HIT (High Intensity Traininh) is integral to racing well.

Read up some more about it

Maybe read what you find under Joe Friel

high intensity some of the time = good

high intensity all of the time = not good

low intensity some of the time = good

low intensity all of the time = not good...

balance is key.  If you only do 15km rides (at high intensity this is < 30 mins), you are not doing enough distance and you will bonk on any 2h+ ride/race;  If you have limited time it's better to do high intensity than to mess around with the 30 minutes that you do have, so what you're doing is not bad, it just won't get you to a sub 3h CTCT.

How old are you? what is your training status, and finally - how did you determine 100% of your heart rate?

Actually - I guarantee that what you think is 100% is not 100%.... so all your percentages are off.

Im 32. Got heart rate percentages with the typical Age formula (100%=189bpm). I must say that 100% feels fairly accurate in my experience :blink:.

It depends on your training goals.  If you planning on doing a 100 km race you should also spend time doing longer distances.  You are doing power training to some extent but no endurance training.

I agree. In my experience, when I do longer rides (40km) I expect to fair well, but end up exhausted. Although it may be that I approach the long ride with the same attack as the 15km rides I am familiar with.

Whew, this is exactly why we have amongst the best trails and conditions in the world BUT very few top riders emerging to be world beaters. We train awfully wrong! No plans with scientific input, no recovery rides, no proper goals......balls to the wall is utter rubbish.

It's only a question of time til you blow.....

Ok, it's "only" 15km so should be fun and exciting. Not much can go wrong, right? Wrong? Eventually....

Invest a little time and money and hook up with a coach who will discuss your goals with you and make some training plans for you to achieve what you want (and no, it doesn't have to be to race).

I've worked with Swen Lauer (from Germany) - has the credentials and knows his stuff (currently training Jennie Stenerhag and Esther Suess for Epic). Give it a bash.....

...or go till you blow.

ps same goes for skills training - just saying :whistling:

good luck

This is what I have heard and is precisely why I posted here to to get some grassroots opinions on it. I would like to train more effectively and looking for material on what the best approach is. Of course this is all with the view to hit the trails even harder :thumbup: :nuke:

Whew, this is exactly why we have amongst the best trails and conditions in the world BUT very few top riders emerging to be world beaters. We train awfully wrong! No plans with scientific input, no recovery rides, no proper goals......balls to the wall is utter rubbish.

It's only a question of time til you blow.....

Ok, it's "only" 15km so should be fun and exciting. Not much can go wrong, right? Wrong? Eventually....

Invest a little time and money and hook up with a coach who will discuss your goals with you and make some training plans for you to achieve what you want (and no, it doesn't have to be to race).

I've worked with Swen Lauer (from Germany) - has the credentials and knows his stuff (currently training Jennie Stenerhag and Esther Suess for Epic). Give it a bash.....

...or go till you blow.

ps same goes for skills training - just saying :whistling:

good luck

qckcp.jpg

Im 32. Got heart rate percentages with the typical Age formula (100%=189bpm). I must say that 100% feels fairly accurate in my experience :blink:.

I agree. In my experience, when I do longer rides (40km) I expect to fair well, but end up exhausted. Although it may be that I approach the long ride with the same attack as the 15km rides I am familiar with.

This is what I have heard and is precisely why I posted here to to get some grassroots opinions on it. I would like to train more effectively and looking for material on what the best approach is. Of course this is all with the view to hit the trails even harder :thumbup: :nuke:

In my ignorant opinion that would be your first mistake.  The best is to have it professionally checked.

How old are you? what is your training status, and finally - how did you determine 100% of your heart rate?

Actually - I guarantee that what you think is 100% is not 100%.... so all your percentages are off.

a88e8bc6a5f81437fba79b7171bac0a2.jpg

This is what I have heard and is precisely why I posted here to to get some grassroots opinions on it. I would like to train more effectively and looking for material on what the best approach is. Of course this is all with the view to hit the trails even harder [emoji106] :nuke:

I'm 32 my max is 203 (measured during race conditions)

Step A - determine max HR via testing it... there is a often a big difference... I can sustain my theoretical average for over an hour easily....

I suspect some of your issues with longer rides are more pacing issues than fitness issues - too fast too early and you blow - go slower in the beginning and speed up as the race progresses is a faster overall strategy - you will get better with practice for sure.

a88e8bc6a5f81437fba79b7171bac0a2.jpg
Which word would that be? 100? That's a number...

The heartrate formula is an estimate based on averages from my understanding.  So if you fall within the average, it is a good estimate.  Doesn't work for me.  I should have a maximum heartrate in the lower 170s.  I still hit over 200 on some efforts.  :ph34r:

In my ignorant opinion that would be your first mistake.  The best is to have it professionally checked.

No need to get it professionally tested. It is quite easy to test it yourself as has been highlighted here on the hub a number of times.

Find a nice long steady hill. Any gradient above 5%. Preferably longer than 3km.

Once warmed up, hit the hill as hard as you can at 90+ cadence. Keep going for as long as you can. Soon you will be completely poked. If you are not, roll back to the bottom and try again in a harder gear.

When you feel traces of vomit in your mouth and real difficulty in breathing you are getting into the right zone. When the traces of vomit become real you are there. Your cadence should still be around 80+.

Change to a harder gear and keep going until you think you are seeing Jesus. Or you fall off your bike. Don't worry, after about 2 minutes you will be able to breath almost normally and you will see you are still alive.

Roll down the hill and go home. You have done the job for today.

After a little while when you can focus, upload your HRM and review your heart rate at the time you saw Jesus and 30-45 seconds after that as heart continues to climb once you back off.

The highest number you see there is your max heart rate.  Use this to set your zones for different types of training.

The good news to all this? You can expect to never have to repeat this exercise as long as you remain fit.

No need to get it professionally tested. It is quite easy to test it yourself as has been highlighted here on the hub a number of times.

Find a nice long steady hill. Any gradient above 5%. Preferably longer than 3km.

Once warmed up, hit the hill as hard as you can at 90+ cadence. Keep going for as long as you can. Soon you will be completely poked. If you are not, roll back to the bottom and try again in a harder gear.

When you feel traces of vomit in your mouth and real difficulty in breathing you are getting into the right zone. When the traces of vomit become real you are there. Your cadence should still be around 80+.

Change to a harder gear and keep going until you think you are seeing Jesus. Or you fall off your bike. Don't worry, after about 2 minutes you will be able to breath almost normally and you will see you are still alive.

Roll down the hill and go home. You have done the job for today.

After a little while when you can focus, upload your HRM and review your heart rate at the time you saw Jesus and 30-45 seconds after that as heart continues to climb once you back off.

The highest number you see there is your max heart rate.  Use this to set your zones for different types of training.

The good news to all this? You can expect to never have to repeat this exercise as long as you remain fit.

Sounds like an effective test. ;)  Just one question though - so as long as I remain fit, my maximum heart rate will not change?  Even if I "remain fit" for another 30 years?  :whistling: