Statement regarding cancellation of the 40th Cape Town Cycle Tour from David Bellairs

News bot

If you registered and picked up your race pack you are in for next year by my understanding.

Sent from my SM-A510F using Tapatalk

You not automatically in - you will get time period to enter before they

open it up for the general public.

• Replies 324
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

They arrive by post in the July after the event. I've got 4 of these beauties already.

Pictures or it's not true!

Must be luck of the draw. I've never received one. We have a bit of a standing joke about it.

Guys for what is worth and bare in mind that this was only my second CTCT.  I am no expert

in the wind. I did train my arse off, starved myself for 3 months and lost 8 kg

I rode to the start, and it was the most terrifying 3 km because of the wind. I was in the cages from the beginning and had resolved myself to probably falling or someone falling into me.I must say I was relieved when they cancelled.At least I left with my Ego in tact 

On the Monday I did a 70km ride to noordhoek and back with a mate and it was probably one of the best rides I have done in ages. There were +/- 10 000 other riders doing exactly the same thing.

Did anybody what the Super cycling last night? The telephone interview with D Ballairs - was rather …. - I wonder what his body language was like. He started with really down playing the protest and the shortened route in rather babbling and a soft tone of voice. By the end of the interview I recall him referring to it as a Riot in rather a firm tone of voice. If anybody has the interview on PVR please confirm that what I recall is correct.

Might as well get my first BikeHub ban over and done with.

Peter, why are you being such an almighty idiot about all of this?

You start with rumourmongering on FaceBook - your statement that the cancellation of the Tour had nothing to do with the weather is an outright lie - and then you carry on with your Cycle Tour and PPA bashing long after you are taken to task on it. You are, quite simply, wrong. What worries me is that you appear to be wrong on purpose. I don't care what your agenda is, you should really stop now.

You are making more of these "riots" than there actually is. Because you keep whining and whining, people listen and take the easy route of going with your opinion. You appear to be knowledgeable about what goes on behind the scenes, but the truth is you have not been involved with the PPA for a very long time - by your own admission, many times, on this very forum. So, actually, you only think you know what is going on, and what went on.

You have a million solutions. But I am sure it must have crossed your mind that the people employed to make this event the success it remains have explored them, too. I can guarantee you, and those who still wade through your waffle, they have. 

If I hear one more time that there was no wind where they stopped you and the pros, I think I will scream. By your own admission (once again) you were not at the start venue when the event was cancelled (you were in a balmy spot on the Blue Route). Nor were you Chapmans Peak, on Victoria Drive, in Glencairn or any of the other spots where the wind was downright dangerous. I drove over Suikerbossie at 11am on Sunday, and the wind was as strong as I have seen. I lived in Hout Bay for ten years. You know the peninsula exceptionally well, and know where it is scary on days like Sunday. Just because you think you have the bike skills to cope, doesn't mean a responsible event organiser should take risks on behalf of the other 35 000 riders, who would have been in grave danger in the conditions on the day.

Please stop being such a d**s.

You start with rumourmongering on FaceBook - your statement that the cancellation of the Tour had nothing to do with the weather is an outright lie - and then you carry on with your Cycle Tour and PPA bashing long after you are taken to task on it. You are, quite simply, wrong. What worries me is that you appear to be wrong on purpose. I don't care what your agenda is, you should really stop now.

You are making more of these "riots" than there actually is. Because you keep whining and whining, people listen and take the easy route of going with your opinion. You appear to be knowledgeable about what goes on behind the scenes, but the truth is you have not been involved with the PPA for a very long time - by your own admission, many times, on this very forum. So, actually, you only think you know what is going on, and what went on.

You have a million solutions. But I am sure it must have crossed your mind that the people employed to make this event the success it remains have explored them, too. I can guarantee you, and those who still wade through your waffle, they have.

If I hear one more time that there was no wind where they stopped you and the pros, I think I will scream. By your own admission (once again) you were not at the start venue when the event was cancelled (you were in a balmy spot on the Blue Route). Nor were you Chapmans Peak, on Victoria Drive, in Glencairn or any of the other spots where the wind was downright dangerous. I drove over Suikerbossie at 11am on Sunday, and the wind was as strong as I have seen. I lived in Hout Bay for ten years. You know the peninsula exceptionally well, and know where it is scary on days like Sunday. Just because you think you have the bike skills to cope, doesn't mean a responsible event organiser should take risks on behalf of the other 35 000 riders, who would have been in grave danger in the conditions on the day.

Brilliant post

Pictures or it's not true!

Must be luck of the draw. I've never received one. We have a bit of a standing joke about it.

It really is true. If you did the long distance mtb and completed the argus in the alloted time. A few days after argus they get your particulars and post the special medal to you.

No ban needed for this post. You deserve a bells!

Mods please lock this thread before it becomes anymore out of hand!

This has become a real school girl handbag slinging contest.... he said she said type of scenario!

I stick to what I said earlier about what this world is becoming!

Edited by ZakAttak

Does any one with even a single brain cell read this paper or go to their website? R10k bicycles and R1k sunglasses?

Lucky they COSATU did see the self proclaimed hotshot posing on the hub. I suppose they do have a point with guys like that.

Holy moly did you read the article properly? It says the city pays the participants R500 each to ride. I got short changed man, they made me pay to ride. Then the left over food was went to HB after sitting in the sun all day.... the race was cancelled, food was fresh. What about all the cyclist who went down there to help. WTF man do they even have an editor.

Sure they not a mouthpiece for the national rulling alliance. [emoji57]

somewhere, in among the political noise of the article, they do have a point.

The City were surveying and engaging with the community to see who would be willing to be relocated to have more space available. It started a while ago. These "settlements" are highly dynamic and its quite a mission once people have settled to then go in and do grids and blocks with better access. Their hand has now been forced but they still need community buy in to layout access roads and firebreaks. Some people will

be displaced and where do they stay once the work starts? Its not easy. Its about 2 months that the folks staying would have to live in limbo before rebuilding.