Statement regarding cancellation of the 40th Cape Town Cycle Tour from David Bellairs

News bot

• Replies 324
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I would love to know what dips thinks

now that is a serious question. what exactly does Dibs think.....

oh go on...... you know you want to.

How's about this weather we having ;)

Just find the comments so extreme and I suppose everyone sees it from their own point of view nothing wrong with that

Long story short, they made the right call to call it off looking at all the videos and pics

As far as all the attacks from both sides from the comfort of their high horses hells bells dammed if you dare earn a good living and dammed if don't. wild ASSumptions thrown around

How's about this weather we having ;)

Just find the comments so extreme and I suppose everyone sees it from their own point of view nothing wrong with that

Long story short, they made the right call to call it off looking at all the videos and pics

As far as all the attacks from both sides from the comfort of their high horses hells bells dammed if you dare earn a good living and dammed if don't. wild ASSumptions thrown around

as someone who was not there on the day, do you see the wind at the start as being the only issue ?\

as someone who was not there on the day, do you see the wind at the start as being the only issue ?\

I think as far as the organizers go, they weigh up everything, I've seen a porta loo blown across the street and we rode,

If I got to start the race and I had to stop at the rock garden down the road I would have been equally upset

If they said ok cheers go boys go "ride" and one cyclist died or was injured in the protest or flying off chappies all hell would have broken loose

All factors into account they made the right call, but you are really living in a bubble if you think people will lay out all that money to get there to be told no race and have nothing to say about it

I think as far as the organizers go, they weigh up everything, I've seen a porta loo blown across the street and we rode,

If I got to start the race and I had to stop at the rock garden down the road I would have been equally upset

If they said ok cheers go boys go "ride" and one cyclist died or was injured in the protest or flying off chappies all hell would have broken loose

All factors into account they made the right call, but you are really living in a bubble if you think people will lay out all that money to get there to be told no race and have nothing to say about it

its always the darn T&C's that nobody read's that bite them in the end.

But I feel the pain of people having traveled from far and loosing all that money. Hell I am miffed that I lost 2 x 450 bucks. Thats a good two bottles of champers ;)

But I am much happier knowing I dont have to worry about entering for next year. I already have an entry. Now just improve the seeding a bit.

just a question that has popped all of a sudden. did the event organisers have insurance in place for cancellation of the event? if they didn't, thats just plain stupid , if they did , will they claim seeing that they are keeping our money.

just a question that has popped all of a sudden. did the event organisers have insurance in place for cancellation of the event? if they didn't, thats just plain stupid , if they did , will they claim seeing that they are keeping our money.

If they did we would be getting refunds. As we aren't they probably didn't.

I suppose because they can then be held liable if the race goes ahead and someone gets injured who then proves that the wind was blowing harder at point Y...... This opens a different can of worms. Also people would already have traveled to Cape Town by then

not publish numbers beforehand?

If wind speed exceeds x knots at y point then the race will be called off?

Dear Cape Town Cycle Tour Participants

The Cape Town Cycle Tour Trust is deeply disappointed and saddened by the outcome of this past weekend. For the cyclists, sponsors, city and provincial stakeholders - and of course the organizing team - it has been an extremely difficult and trying time. 

The decision to stop the race after the first four groups had left, and to then cancel the event completely was not taken lightly, nor was it taken without following strict protocols and was based primarily on participants’ safety. Involved in the decision to ultimately stop the race were multiple role players including the event organizing team, City of Cape Town Disaster Management Services, traffic authorities, Metro Police, South African Police Services, Mediclinic, Fire & Safety, and Emergency Medical Services (EMS). Using all intelligence available to us at the time and after having delayed a number of start groups, the decision was made at 06h38 to halt the event. 

While we know that many of you are as disappointed as we are with this outcome, we trust you understand that our motivation was based purely on your safety and can assure you that we considered every alternative before making this difficult decision. We are humbled and grateful for the outpouring of support we have received over the past 24 hours, and for this we thank you.  

We will be offering all participants who registered and collected their race numbers at the Cape Town Cycle Tour Expo between 9 and 11 March 2017 a preferential entry for the 2018 Cape Town Cycle Tour, before entries are made available to the general public. 

We wish to advise that the 40th Cape Town Cycle Tour will now be held on 11 March 2018 and as such, no finisher’s medals will be issued for the 2017 event. 

The Cape Town Cycle Tour Trust will donate the 2017 prize fund of R220 000 to the relief efforts of those affected by the fires in Imizamo Yethu in Hout Bay. We are also donating water bottles to DARG (the Domestic Animal Rescue Group) who are saving and caring for animals from those affected areas.

We look forward to celebrating our 40th Cape Town Cycle Tour with you next year.

With thanks again and good wishes,

The Cape Town Cycle Tour Team

Sweet something

Yeah was wondering if at least there will be a bit of discount or something.  Wonder if this will mean a few less people signing up to the PPA (seeing for some that the promise of preferential entry is the only reason to sign up)