UCI DH World Cup 2017 #1 - Lourdes 29-30 April

Stretch

In other news Commencal, Trek and Mondraker reportedly all have 29ers at Fort William this weekend. The noteworthy one of the 3 is Commencal coz they are a Rockshox team so there is a 29er boxxer.

• Replies 272
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

In other news Commencal, Trek and Mondraker reportedly all have 29ers at Fort William this weekend. The noteworthy one of the 3 is Commencal coz they are a Rockshox team so there is a 29er boxxer.

I guess it wouldn't be too difficult to rejig a Lyrik 29 chassis to work with a Boxxer upper assembly.

Edited by Johnathan CavalierDeTempê

I guess it wouldn't be too difficult to rejig a Lyrik 29 chassis to work with a Boxxer upper assembly.

That ^^^^^^

Hi Headshot,

Clearly I have insulted you in some way, and I apologize.

But in reply to your message:

It's not what I'm suggesting, I'm just rehashing and supporting what other people in the industry are already saying.

Yes, the riders are underpaid. With the exception of Greg and Gwin who have very shrewd agents who negotiate their contracts, the average rider earns between 30 000 USD and 50 000 USD. (Endorsements and image rights excluded.) Given that these riders have fairly short careers, and are the best in the world at what they do, they are underpaid. The top guys might earn 300 000 USD ++, but it is still not much compared to what road cyclists earn. The majority of road cyclists' salaries are paid by the corporate sponsors. Not by Specialized or Trek, which are small companies compared to Sky or Movistar.

Here is a Pinkbike link on this issue: https://www.pinkbike.com/news/pinkbike-poll-how-much-should-a-top-dh-racer-be-paid-2015.html

The most interesting comment on this poll /article is from one of the sponsors: Troy Lee Designs

Just some food for thought and let you fill in the blanks. Fort William estimated to sell 30k tickets to people to come watch DH racing, in the middle of friggin nowhere. Anaheim stadium sells out SX at about 45k (I'd say thats a good average of all the SX stadium sizes), in one of the largest metropolitan areas of the world (so-cal)....Sea Otter gets an estimated 40k people to pay to see some bike stuff, so, both have a great following, we know that.

Live streaming from Redbull of the DH world cup is some of the highest rated/viewed action sports on the network, we are not at liberty to share the actual numbers, but, they are more than the highest viewed MX event, which is Redbull straight rhythm, and don't even talk about Rampage, as that breaks all records...but;

While DH and slope events get massive coverage for the sport, they are few and far between-There are 17 Supercross events, 12 Outdoor MX, 1 live televised Monster Energy Cup, Live Straight rhythm, those moto guys almost have a full year of racing for the fans...heck thats just in america! throw in MX GP's in europe and you have so much exposure for those athletes, compared to bike.

So, we as a brand are involved deeply in both industries; Bike and Moto, we love both, it seems Bike has bigger 'hits', just less of them? There are ONLY 7 world cups a year, that makes it really difficult to get year long exposure with those great numbers that the live events DO provide us with. The beauty in this though, is it creates a lot of video content from the bike athletes, to keep you satisfied all year, that is often more enjoyable to watch than a race run-moto doesn't get these cool video projects, they never have time!

The big moto brands are also backed by a bigger corporate engine, KTM, Honda, Yamaha, Kawisaki, Suzuki have much higher revenue streams than bicycle companies, and race bikes are their halo product, with large budgets grandfathered in over the years.

I think we'd be better served comparing apples to apples, and thats bicycle road racing to mountain biking-with road racers making millions, and there is no MTBer making millions, that is odd eh?

They basically echo what Brendon Fairclough (a rider who could appreciate it himself) said in this article:

I'm not supporting "dumb down" racing. I want to see more (not the whole run) of the best riders' race runs, and I'd like to see it more often, on gnarlier tracks. How is that a bad thing?

The "average viewer" is that part of the TV watching population that just does not even own a bicycle. Or owns a bicycle but have never even heard of Greg Minnaar. If you get them to start following the sport, corporate sponsors will follow. Millions of people who does not own a road bike watch the Tour de France. Given, the Tour is over a hundred years old, but still. Would you prefer it if only some MTB'ers watch the sport, and not see it grow? 

And finally, you are quite active on Pinkbike and should remember the whole furore around how little the Red Bull Rampage athletes earn. Most of the riders fund themselves and make a financial loss when competing in that event. How is that good for the future of the sport? 

BTW, I never said the race was a snore fest: I said it was a damb squib: a situation or event which is much less impressive than expected. And it was, given the hype before the race.

Have a great weekend!

Nope not insulted at all. I'm just rude, sorry!

Hey boss.

When you compare what golfers (for example) earn vs what pro cyclists earn something doesn't add up. As an industry cycling is bigger than golf. And yet the guys at the top of their game earn relatively small amounts of $. So where is the money going?

For example. Mark Cavendish reportedly earns GBP 3mil. That's small potatoes when compared to even a mid level golf player.

If you look at how fast we consume the latest little fad/innovation generated by the various bike company marketing departments I honestly think the Athletes and consumers are getting a VERY raw deal. SOMEONE is making big $ out of cycling and it's not the athletes.

On the other hand............

If DH is to be taken seriously as a sport and the riders be rewarded accordingly then it's first going to have to take itself seriously. Interviewing riders with a banana on the track walk and not knowing the words to your national anthem when you win a world cup is amateurish. But then..... Do we as jo pleb with a DH bike who watches Red Bull TV 7 times a year actually want Monster Girls, Fire Works and boring thank all the sponsors interviews?

I think we are back at viewership numbers which is what drives G$#f sponsorship. Many people relate to golf because difficult as it is to play, many more do so than ride DH, or even enduro. We are the primary audience and we are few. 

I am nursing a very sore arm and need a new helmet after today's ride. That kind of risk is never going to make DH/Enduro a mainstream sport like golf, no matter what we do to it  think.

Edited by Headshot

I think we are back at viewership numbers which is what drives G$#f sponsorship. Many people relate to golf because difficult as it is to play, many more do so than ride DH, or even enduro. We are the primary audience and we are few. 

I am nursing a very sore arm and need a new helmet after today's ride. That kind of risk is never going to make DH/Enduro a mainstream sport like golf, no matter what we do to it  think.

Enduro? Warrappen?

Nope, Tokai on Cobra. A lucky escape for my head...

ah. Good man. And happy result! Where on Cobra, or was it just one of those silly mistakes we always make. 

Can ADMIN change the thread title to "UCI DH world cup 2017 "

Just so someone doesn't start A thread for the next one :whistling:

I was waiting patiently to ruin it for Stretch but I agree.

Let common sense prevail.

ah. Good man. And happy result! Where on Cobra, or was it just one of those silly mistakes we always make. 

Silly mistake. Went offline over that last step down thing and the front washed out to the left. Head and upper arm went right and straight into the ground/trailside boulder. Then the hot rear disk rotor burned my leg. Very lucky or unlucky depending on how you look at it. 

110% agree :clap:  ...... Big wheels on Big rigs look FU#KING AWESOME !

http://i.imgur.com/a7IOQO9.jpg

Dare I say she looks prettier than the V10. Interesting chain route too.

Can ADMIN change the thread title to "UCI DH world cup 2017 "

Just so someone doesn't start A thread for the next one :whistling:

I was waiting patiently to ruin it for Stretch but I agree.

Let common sense prevail.

we have a new thread for each event...standard procedure....

http://i.imgur.com/a7IOQO9.jpg

Dare I say she looks prettier than the V10. Interesting chain route too.

They have had that idler pulley design for some time. Must say I can't see that the bigger wheels played any role in the outcome. Miriam Nicole didn't feature and neither did Thirion. And the Athertons disappeared completely...Then again maybe the big wheels were to blame for that :-)

Edited by Headshot