Ironman 2018 - PE

clivem

I'm in pe around Christmas time and will be looking for swimming partners to go swim at the pier

There are always guys an gals swimming up an down so am sure you will find ppl. If not just tell the life guard aN go for it. If you go out towards Kings beach you never more than a couple hundred meters from the shore so safe. It’s a sweet swim. Enjoy

• Replies 809
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

My motivation has also been up and down. One week I slack off so badly, the next week I train super hard and into this vicious circle I go. Not training for PE, but EL. Still think I need a way bigger base before I commit to PE.

My distances for the last 6 months have been (Cycling | Running | Swimming):

May 297 | 55 | 12

June 295 | 63 | 17

July 320 | 64 | 24

August 244 | 45 | 8

September 465 | 70 | 10

October* 356 | 69 | 6

*Estimated by month end.

My swimming has dropped off significantly. :whistling:

You need to pick up on the training. EL is no easy half. More pain now, less pain on the day. AN no slacking over Xmas, we watching ;)

My motivation has also been up and down. One week I slack off so badly, the next week I train super hard and into this vicious circle I go. Not training for PE, but EL. Still think I need a way bigger base before I commit to PE. 

May               297 |  55  | 12

June              295 |  63  | 17

July               320 |  64  | 24

August          244 |  45  | 8 

September    465 |  70  | 10

October*       356 |  69  | 6

*Estimated by month end.

My swimming has dropped off significantly.  :whistling:

i cant really see anything wrong with your distances that you've put in.  Quality over quantity for me, except for your swimming that you can up slightly :whistling:

*I'm not a top 10 finisher 

*Estimated by month end.

You need a way bigger base before EL... it is hot, humid and hilly!!.... you need to be doubling your September and October figures for November and December and around your July figures for the January taper.... which will limit your suffering in EL

How do you guys add wattbike sessions into these kind of figures above?

When I use to use the wattbike, record the workout with my garmin and upload to connect which then syncs with strava and trainingpeaks so have a record of distance and hours.

How do you guys add wattbike sessions into these kind of figures above?

what shaper said, but you have to remember that a 20km on a wattbike/IDT is not a 20km on the road. Some people i spoke with and stuff i read online said you can easily increase the training effect on your body by 30% (basically 20km on wattbike is almost like a 26km on the road)

*Estimated by month end.

Like someone else said, you should be doubling those distances at least, even for a 70.3.

For context, those are pretty much in line with my WEEKLY distances training for a full IM...(I'm "competitive" - finish IMs sub-10 hours).

And do more swimming.  Aim for 9km+ per week.

Like someone else said, you should be doubling those distances at least, even for a 70.3.

For context, those are pretty much in line with my WEEKLY distances training for a full IM...(I'm "competitive" - finish IMs sub-10 hours).

And do more swimming.  Aim for 9km+ per week.

How many hours a week did you spend training?

How many hours a week did you spend training?

My total hours per month last year in the lead up to IMSA2017

Oct 60hrs

Nov 45hrs

Dec 62hrs

Jan 52hrs

Feb 56hrs

March 61hrs

Finished 10:52hrs which included a mechanical on the bike that lost me 10mins and a malfunction with the goggles (leaking) that probably lost me another 10-15mins as had to keep emptying one lens of seawater.

Since then am averaging around 46hrs per month just ticking over.... in fact loosing fitness as am just getting over an ITB which I have had for the last 2 months and running has been limited.

Yesterday started my build phase for the next 12 weeks, so hours will start to increase and 2nd week in Jan 2018 will start my race training for IMSA2018.  

Weekly then will be around 12-15hrs peaking late Feb / early March at around 20hrs

Which is not difficult to do.  During the week 1 hr in the morning, 1hr in the evening, weekends a 25-30km run and a 5hr ride

I won't lie I felt a bit dumb yesterday when I looked at my own totals.. when compared to EmJayZA, which subsequently consensus views as too low - and thats just for a 70.3!

True, 1 hour morning and 1 hour evening with going long on weekends is reasonable to achieve. It's how I've drawn my training schedule up. More than that I just don't have the time. 

I signed up on the trainingpeaks site yesterday, I'll play around with it and see whats up.

I won't lie I felt a bit dumb yesterday when I looked at my own totals.. when compared to EmJayZA, which subsequently consensus views as too low - and thats just for a 70.3!

True, 1 hour morning and 1 hour evening with going long on weekends is reasonable to achieve. It's how I've drawn my training schedule up. More than that I just don't have the time. 

I signed up on the trainingpeaks site yesterday, I'll play around with it and see whats up.

There was a link earlier in one of my posts to a build training plan which is free for trainingpeaks that I gave Scott who was asking for.

Here is a link to a thread I started last year to list free trainingpeaks plans  https://community.bikehub.co.za/topic/163337-free-trainingpeaks-plans/?hl=trainingpeaks

There are some triathlon specific ones listed that may be of interest

Just click on buy the plans and then they will be stored in your TP library to be used whenever you like in the future :)

Edit:  And as I said looking at the hours/distances EmJayZA is currently doing in prep for EL .....it going to be a long day!!  Hence why I said needs to look at doubling the distances whilst there is still time

Is there any news in terms of the PE roads?  They were supposedly going to re-tar some of the bad sections for the worlds Sept next year.

Was hoping they would have started by now

Is there any news in terms of the PE roads?  They were supposedly going to re-tar some of the bad sections for the worlds Sept next year.

Was hoping they would have started by now

No change...there's no money and PE is divided on if it should be done or not. Lots of infighting going on. Also much of the bad parts falls under provincial which is falls under the ANC in Bhisho so there is no way in hell they will loan the DA anything.

There is a lot of political pressure regarding the funding for this ,also the road around marine drive does not belong to the Metro it falls under the EC govnm.

The issue is that according to the rules the metro may not spend money on a asset that does not belong to it ,but it seems that certain sections will be repaired but the complete re-tar is out.

All us cyclist was hoping for a re-tar it would have made the Wednesday morning fast bunch even faster

Archived