Ironman 2018 - PE

clivem

• Replies 809
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The first and last 20km of each lap was bad.  I guess its about perspective because I compare it to the 70.3 races and Challenge Roth.

Maybe I am not a real Ironman.  Or maybe doing the same race 7 times is starting to bore me.

They should change the route really.  It doesn't make sense to turn around 2km before the most scenic part of it all......

Maybe go back to the three lap route

To be honest, I ride those roads and a substantial part of the route every weekend. Its the same as last year and the year before and so on. I don't have a problem with it, maybe a little bumpy but its fine. In my humble opinion I think they should spend the money on the poor and those who don't like a few bumps should toughen up. Its Africa after all. ;) ;)

The cycle at EL is tough and if the weather gods conspire it becomes a nightmare. While only a half if you tight on time from the swim you under extreme pressure on the bike just to finish in the allotted time. Make no mistake 1300 odd meters of climb is going to sap you seriously. I know more than one who missed cut off on he bike. So my advice, focus on the bike and spend long hours Inc the saddle. Once u make the bike cut off the run can be walked so don’t worry too much about that. Go cycle mid day In December to ensure you are as prepared as possible,

Spot on IceCream

The main problem with the bike course is that there is mostly a headwind going out which then normally turns into a side wind around 10 AM.  So its a straight head wind going out and from the side coming back but again head on during the last major climb back to T2 and this is what really hurts you.  This has happened on 70% of all the 70.3's I have raced there.

Bunker's hill is overrated from a difficulty point as it really is not that steep and the support there is awesome.  

As in any Ironman if you walk on the run your pacing on the bike was off.

Make sure you know your zones and how hard you can push on the bike.

Thank you Kindly, you are educating me a lot these last couple of day. Much appreciated.

Was the same for me when I started out doing tri's.  I prefer to train as and when I can and cannot fit in with a club apart from the weekends... I also think training alone prepares you mentally better for races.... So when I started, was also looking for plans/programmes/advice.

Also being analytical I like to see numbers that correlate to the madness hahaha... especially when I stepped up to doing full IM's.

Many of my mates are cyclist and use TP with coaches, so I started to look more into TP for my personal use for tri's

TP's is a nice and easy solution for having training plans in one place and being able to review the data.  It progressed to looking for suitable training plans on TP (rather than typing a pdf one into TP's)... so is where I started to find all the free ones :)  

Mind you being an OCD data junkie, I also use Golden Cheetah which gives me (probably too much) data over an above what TP gives and often compare the 2 and use GC to enhance the understanding for my needs better.

So am happy to pass on what I have found.  TP's works for some, others not so.... but many professional coaches and athletes use it to monitor performance.... 

Try it an see, it is nice to have easy access to your plan via a pc or the app on your phone and monitor results in real time

I tried to sync the wattbike to my phone app last night so I could start logging indoor km's as well. (I assume thats the way to get them on to my records?)

First bike had a sensor error - first time I'd ever seen that..

Second bike kept restarting the ride session after 10 or so seconds in.. 

I kicked the bike and gave up, will try to work it out next time.

I tried to sync the wattbike to my phone app last night so I could start logging indoor km's as well. (I assume thats the way to get them on to my records?)

What APP are you using? Edited by Wheelsuck

Plenty of threads with regard to the wattbike, calibration and recording data, perhaps one of them might give you the answer https://www.bikehub.co.za/index.php?app=core&module=search&do=search&fromMainBar=1

I use to use my Fenix 3 to record the watbike session, I just paired the power, speed and cadence sensor of the wattbike with the F3

What APP are you using?

Wattbike app, I downloaded it a while but have not opened it now. I have no doubt it was my fault it didnt work, I'll give it another go tomorrow.

I see I can connect it to Trainingpeaks, so I'll play around with that link too.

Plenty of threads with regard to the wattbike, calibration and recording data, perhaps one of them might give you the answer https://www.bikehub.co.za/index.php?app=core&module=search&do=search&fromMainBar=1

I use to use my Fenix 3 to record the watbike session, I just paired the power, speed and cadence sensor of the wattbike with the F3

I have the Fenix 3 too, that'll be much easier! I'll read up about syncing that guy too.

I have the Fenix 3 too, that'll be much easier! I'll read up about syncing that guy too.

All you need to do with your F3 is search for the relevant sensors (PWR/CAD/SPD) and to confirm that they are for right wattbike that you are on, look at the large digit number at the very bottom centre of the LCD screen on the wattbike.  That is the bike sensors reference number.  Once found scroll to the matching number and connect.

Then when you do your workout on the wattbike, the F3 will record all info of the sensors connected to, then you can save, upload and sync.

If you manage to use the same wattbike all the time then your F3 will save the sensor info and connect automatically in future.  I usually did a quick check whilst spinning the legs easy to make sure I am connected to the right bike and not the wattbike next to me before starting my workout.

All you need to do with your F3 is search for the relevant sensors (PWR/CAD/SPD) and to confirm that they are for right wattbike that you are on, look at the large digit number at the very bottom centre of the LCD screen on the wattbike.  That is the bike sensors reference number.  Once found scroll to the matching number and connect.

Then when you do your workout on the wattbike, the F3 will record all info of the sensors connected to, then you can save, upload and sync.

If you manage to use the same wattbike all the time then your F3 will save the sensor info and connect automatically in future.  I usually did a quick check whilst spinning the legs easy to make sure I am connected to the right bike and not the wattbike next to me before starting my workout.

Yes, thanks, I just looked it up now - in fact one of your old posts came up in the search. It seems pretty easy. I can't believe I haven't heard about syncing these two things until now..

Doing your first 70.3 you unlikely to be going too hard as you are forever saving yourself for the run... unless of course you are pushed on time.

But I agree once you have done a few races, a lot forget about pacing and hammer the cycle (competitive nature) leaving nothing for the run..... but even then I still think you need to be running fit to have a half decent run.  Since my very first 70.3 I focus a lot more on running and becoming a runner

Agree, if you want to compete you need to be a runner. Triathlon is won on the run IMO, just look at Kona this year where the strongest runners won at the end of the day.

Yes, thanks, I just looked it up now - in fact one of your old posts came up in the search. It seems pretty easy. I can't believe I haven't heard about syncing these two things until now..

Just make sure that it is the newer version of the wattbike. The old ones does not connect to F3, with that said though if you used the app to connect it is the newer version and should connect to your f3. i just know our VA for instance have both versions